The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hand held mic for female vocalist?
Old 21st January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Could you describe the sound of the SM86 and SM87, perhaps in comparison to the Beta 87A? Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jazz ➑️
I bet the KSM9 is nice. I've got a pair each of the KSM44 and 141, and I like them. Although, I'm not sure that I can justify the cost of a new KSM9 right now. I'll snoop around and see if I can find a used one for cheap. I'll look into the Beta 87A as well.
I had a 105 and sold it in favor of the KSM9. It really is a killer microphone, kind of astonishing for something handheld. The second pickup pattern is nice for cutting out ambient noise and fighting feedback.

-synthoid
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jazz ➑️
Could you describe the sound of the SM86 and SM87, perhaps in comparison to the Beta 87A? Thanks.
I find the SM to be sweeter and smoother, and the Betas to be peaky, sibilant, and excessively bright... Take a look at the response curves on Shure.com, and see if you think them worthy of testing. Then I'd love to hear your responses!

L
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oddly enough, the SM is more expensive than the Beta.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas ➑️
Oddly enough, the SM is more expensive than the Beta.
It isn't odd when you consider that they sound better!

Beta is not betta! (in my experience anyway)

L
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sibilance is one of my concerns. I work with a couple Brazilian singers who sing in Portuguese, and I have a project coming up with one (female) who has a voice in the range between a soprano and alto (2nd soprano?). The Portuguese language is prone to sibilance, so a mic that can tame that would be welcomed. I have looked at the freq charts at Shure, and I would like to hear the SM87 in particular.

I actually like the Audix VX5 pretty well from its initial testing. It sounds natural, with just a tad boost at around 9 khz for clarity, and I like having the pad and roll off options. Has anyone else tried it? I'm curious how it compares to the KSM9.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of VX5's. If you're trying to stay away from sibilance then run far from the VX5. If I can sell this SM87 (hint, hint) then I am buying a KSM9 immediately. I am looking forward to comparing the two.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➑️
It isn't odd when you consider that they sound better!

Beta is not betta! (in my experience anyway)
I just mean that the Beta line is supposed to be the "upgrade" to the SM line as per Shure's marketing department.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have a pair of VX5's. If you're trying to stay away from sibilance then run far from the VX5. If I can sell this SM87 (hint, hint) then I am buying a KSM9 immediately. I am looking forward to comparing the two.
How then does the SM87 compare to the VX5? Do you like the VX5 better than the SM87 (since you're selling the 87)?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have never used the SM87. It is a replacement from Shure after I sent in a damaged SM85. I just opened the box and put the mic in my case. If I get a chance I may do a quick A/B, but I hope to sell it very soon.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I just mean that the Beta line is supposed to be the "upgrade" to the SM line as per Shure's marketing department.
Marketing = lies to one extent or another.

But I just don't like the sound of Betas...

Bishop, didn't I see you have an SM87A for sale? This guy should get it if so!

L
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are only a few Shure mics that I actually like. I only own a Beta 52 and a few 57's for that reason. Yes, I do have an SM87, but you are correct - it is for sale. Jungle Jazz is still on the fence about buying it and it looks like I'm going to be stuck with it for a while. I guess I should just go ahead and buy a KSM9, then I'll be able to contribute better to this thread after doing a proper comparison.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I was contemplating buying the SM87, but I might just bite the bullet and get a KSM9.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid ➑️
I had a 105 and sold it in favor of the KSM9. It really is a killer microphone, kind of astonishing for something handheld. The second pickup pattern is nice for cutting out ambient noise and fighting feedback.

-synthoid

Synthoid, do you think the KSM9 is better than the 105 by far?
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
as always there is no one-mic solution.

in my experience,

the ksm9 has great pattern control, but i find the upper mids/highs too artificial for me (*especially* in the cardioid setting)...sounds clean in a live situation and dense mix...otherwise it can be tight/constipated. works great on some voices though.

kms105 has a richness to it that the ksm9 doesn't have. there's a spike in the highs though which may help/hurt...and it falls apart on a singer that really eats the mic.

ae5400 sounds the most "vanilla" out of the 3. it also doesn't have the richness of the kms105... at the same time, i find the upper mids/highs to be less exaggerated than the other two mics. there's a dip a tad above 5k which can help tame out that sibilance.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dang, tight and constipated isn't what I wanted to hear about the KSM9. What about the Audix VX-10--anyone have experience with that?
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
anaveragejoe,

i'm not synthoid...but i prefer the kms105 over the ksm9. i wouldn't say that one mic is better than the other...they both have their strengths. sometimes a singer needs that shure upper-mid bump. otherwise it only hurts things. the ksm9 is NOT an end-all be-all of live vocals mics...not by far. great pattern control, but i like the sound of the kms105 better. if it were for me...between those two, if i needed the pattern control i'd get the ksm9. if i were just concerned with the sound quality i'd get the kms105.

and the ae5400 is a steal compared to the those two.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have used the 5400 and it was exactly what a certain male vocalist needed to tame his harsh midrange. I tried the KMS105, VX10, e835, e855, and only the ae5400 did it.

JungleJazz - I used the VX10 for a little while and remember I like it, but I don't remember why. I compared the VX5 and VX10 at AES last year and the 10 sounded better from a quick check with my voice. It was a little more open and natural, but that could have been because of less proximity effect on the cardioid version. I keep the low cut enganged on my VX5 for that reason.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the feedback. Wow, that freq notch in the AE5400 might work for this Brazilian singer. Hmm, another option to add to the list.
πŸ“ Reply