The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Did Mr Wagner ever tell us about the " Live and Loud" record?
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Did Mr Wagner ever tell us about the " Live and Loud" record?

I remember he mentioned it and was going to tell us a story.. did I miss it?
Old 11th November 2002
VIP

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Sorry about the delay. I was trying to find some documentation form those sessions, but I'm a little short on time right now (work spoils the whole day)

Well, here is what I remember:

We recorded 4 shows on the Eastcoast, Miami, Atlanta, Orlando and Cincinnati and two shows in LA, both with Black Sabbath opening with Rob Halford singing (Dio had the day off). Ozzy joined Sabbath for a few songs the second night and one of those takes ended up on the live album as well. The audience was going absolutely nuts, made for some great audience tracks.

For the Eastcoast shows we used David Hewitt's wonderful truck with an API console and the Westcoast shows were recorded with the LeMobile truck with the Neve console. Both trucks had a Mitsubishi 850/880 brought in to record everything on digital. We could fit a half hour of program material on each tape, so we didn't have to change reels as often as with the 2".

We used 4 audience mics, 2 long shotguns pointing away from the stage and two omni mics hanging from the ceiling, roughly about where the FOH mixer was. I had a stereo feed from the FOH console for opening tapes etc. and we used mostly the mics for the PA and added some extra mics just for the truck. If I remember it right, it was an extra hihat mic and a couple of overhead mics. The rest of the mics went through a splitter box to the FOH console and the truck.

The recording went very smooth. The one problem was, Ozzy would duck his head into a bucket of water in the middle of the first song. The water was dripping off his head into the wireless mic, and would pretty much render that vocal track useless for recording, so we had to "fix" that in the studio. All the instrument tracks were used from the live shows, no overdubs, except for one guitar track on which Zakk used a chorus and it was set too extreme and pulled the guitar in and out of tune.

We had a camera set up on the side of the stage, so I could follow in the truck what was going on. I would normally get the sound setup in the truck and made sure everyhting was running fine and then, thanx to the great assistants in both trucks, I could stand at the side of the stage to get a better feel for the show (and, of course, see Ozzy splashing water on the girls in the first row).

The album was put together out of different complete takes of all those shows and one take from an earlier live recording in Denver. Obviously it took a lot of work to make the record sound like one show.

I had a great time during the whole process, Ozzy is wonderful to work with and always fun to be around.
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks for the info!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…