The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Large Diafragm Condenser Mics for Field Recording?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Binaural for ambiences - 360 degree goodness:
https://www.soundtracker.com/about-gordon-hempton/
https://www.google.com/search?client...ng+dawn+chorus

His book is a must-read for outdoor recording; lots of practical tips and info on his technique, methods and gear:
https://www.soundtracker.com/product...ebox-pdf-book/

His recordings are beautiful (and quiet - mostly Neumann KU81i). I have most of his 'Earth Sounds' CDs (out of print, I believe).

Another top Nature recordist is Bernie Krause; uses mostly Sennheiser MS:
https://www.wildsanctuary.com/
https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Sounds-.../dp/B000003IMU
Attached Thumbnails
Large Diafragm Condenser Mics for Field Recording?-hempton-cave.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Recording silence in large rooms reminds me of what I heard/read about The Lord of the Rings movies, ambience recordings for the halls of Moria.
An sdc AB pair in omni might give the most spacious impression in large halls, churches etc. - not sure about the silence aspect though
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I agree with the suggestions for SDC for this. LDC can have lower self noise spec, sure, but first think if you will actually need something lower than 13-15db. For example, I also record very quiet nature ambience outdoors, and I have yet to find an environment that is so quiet that it exposes the noise of the AT 4022. I have traveled several hours in all directions, away from roads and flight paths, hiking in to the best of my ability. And for indoors, it is like another post said, unless you are in a studio environment, the room will not be quiet enough to hear a mics noise. So it makes sense IMO to choose the other advantages of SDC like off axis sound, easier to carry and to mount in windscreens, etc.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 ➡️
No idea what my LDC blimp weighs: the basket is not hugely heavy, but add in the mics (the NT2a isn't light), suspensions, the stereo bar, the lighting stand then it isn't a lightweight rig: as I say, happy to carry it half a mile or so, but not one for hiking with.

'Rode Blimp vs the Rycote': there are two models of Rode blimp (though only one currently made), and several models of Rycote windshields. I did some windshield tests recently, which might be useful to you: https://drbadphil.com/windshield-tests

Although I'm not great fan of mics (e.g. ORTF pairs) being squeezed into too small windshields, you could, of course, put an NT2a or similar multi-pattern LDC into a Rode Blimp Mk1 fairly easily (the older Rode blimp is more adaptable) and use a pair for spaced omni recording, or indeed, ORTF, NOS etc.

Lewitt LCT 540s? No experience, but I'm sure Magnús is right: however, it is a cardioid pattern mic and you just said you wanted omni mics!

Bottom line? If you really need very low-noise mics (say 7dBA or lower) then LDC mics are your answer and the problems of wind protection are not insurmountable for field recording. And the problem of humidity in many countries is not as significant as many would have you fear. But they are clunky and heavy, and omni modes on LDC are not true pressure omnis (if that matters to you). If you want portability, ease of use, ready-made windshields, and omni mics and can cope with, say, 10dBA or just over self-noise, then you have SDC options. The MKH 8020 mics are excellent, and I am currently using Rycote's new OM-08 omnis (also 10dBA), which are extremely impressive and rather less expensive alternative. There are other SDC omni options with just a little more self-noise (e.g. the AT4022 mentioned above) and still less expensive.

I agree with Profondo: get going with some mid-range omni SDC mics in the 13dBA or better range with affordable wind protection (e.g. a pair of Baby Ball gags with furs) and see how you get on.

Cheers,

Roland
Thanks! again a lot of very usefull info, great!

Yes the Lewitt LTC 540s is cardioid, yes yes.

Why you say the LDC are not pressure omnis?

Seems the option of the MKH 8020 is good, but out of stock... I anyone have second hand, let me know : )

Do you see some comparative between the Rycote OM 08 and MKH 8020? Would be nice to hear the diference.

Thanks for the support!
Hug.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
Binaural for ambiences - 360 degree goodness:
https://www.soundtracker.com/about-gordon-hempton/
https://www.google.com/search?client...ng+dawn+chorus

His book is a must-read for outdoor recording; lots of practical tips and info on his technique, methods and gear:
https://www.soundtracker.com/product...ebox-pdf-book/

His recordings are beautiful (and quiet - mostly Neumann KU81i). I have most of his 'Earth Sounds' CDs (out of print, I believe).

Another top Nature recordist is Bernie Krause; uses mostly Sennheiser MS:
https://www.wildsanctuary.com/
https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Sounds-.../dp/B000003IMU
Thanks! for the info, yes already know the Gordon Hempton work impressive!

just read the Great animal Orchestra from Bernie Krause, is amazing!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablank ➡️
Why you say the LDC are not pressure omnis?
Just think about the different design (i.e. where the diaphragm is) of SDC omnis vs multi-pattern LDC mics in omni mode. Here's a thread that might help you: Differences between "true" omnidirectional & Multi-pattern set to omni

That doesn't mean multi-pattern LDCs in omni mode have no use: far from it.

Cheers,

Roland
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Do you see some comparative between the Rycote OM 08 and MKH 8020? Would be nice to hear the diference.
As I said, I'm using the Rycote OM-08 mics at the moment, and am very impressed (as, indeed, with the cardioid and supercardioid mics too). I'll be posting some comparisons with the MKH 8020 mics soon - probably next week.

Cheers,

Roland
Here for the gear
Quote:
Just think about the different design (i.e. where the diaphragm is) of SDC omnis vs multi-pattern LDC mics in omni mode. Here's a thread that might help you: Differences between "true" omnidirectional & Multi-pattern set to omni

That doesn't mean multi-pattern LDCs in omni mode have no use: far from it.

Cheers,

Roland
Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As I said, I'm using the Rycote OM-08 mics at the moment, and am very impressed (as, indeed, with the cardioid and supercardioid mics too). I'll be posting some comparisons with the MKH 8020 mics soon - probably next week.

Cheers,

Roland
Great….looking forward to your comparison results !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're looking for a pressure omni LDC smaller than most SDCs (!) with extremely low self noise and very high sound quality, have a look at the Microtech Gefell M960. They are meant to be used in the diffuse field, so highly suitable for listening to large spaces.
Here for the gear
Quote:

Cheers,

Roland
Hello Roland,

Do you know if the MKH 8020 need to be a specific pair to be the stereo, or I can find one and another with no problem?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello Roland,

Do you know if the MKH 8020 need to be a specific pair to be the stereo, or I can find one and another with no problem?
If you don't have any MKH 8020s and want a pair, then why not buy a matched pair? At usual dealers here in the UK (e.g. Pinknoise and Soundkit) the pairs are slightly cheaper. Or are you thinking of buying used mics one at a time?

Anyway, the matching of MKH 8000 series mics has been discussed before on this forum, such as here:
Matched VS Unmatched Sennheiser mics?

Cheers,

Roland
Here for the gear
Quote:
If you don't have any MKH 8020s and want a pair, then why not buy a matched pair? At usual dealers here in the UK (e.g. Pinknoise and Soundkit) the pairs are slightly cheaper. Or are you thinking of buying used mics one at a time?

Anyway, the matching of MKH 8000 series mics has been discussed before on this forum, such as here:

Cheers,

Roland
Thanks!

Is because I can´t not find anywhere, everywhere is out of stock or wait 3 month... and I found one here one there, that´s why I´m asking is is good option.
Here for the gear
Quote:

Cheers,

Roland
Hello, and I'm sorry for so many questions.....

Which wind protection you recomend for the MKH 8020?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello, and I'm sorry for so many questions.....

Which wind protection you recomend for the MKH 8020?
Well, we never quite got clarity on where you are recording. It sounds as if you are planning on recording interiors and perhaps some outside work too, but with the emphasis on quietness presumably not in significant wind. If you could elaborate that would make life easier in terms of recommendations, as there are so many windshields at so many price points.

Cheers,

Roland
Here for the gear
Quote:
Well, we never quite got clarity on where you are recording. It sounds as if you are planning on recording interiors and perhaps some outside work too, but with the emphasis on quietness presumably not in significant wind. If you could elaborate that would make life easier in terms of recommendations, as there are so many windshields at so many price points.

Cheers,

Roland
Yes sorry..., mainly there are two fields of interest, one is interiors, so no much wind worries.. and the other are natural field recordings, with the interest on quiet atmospheres handling the wind noise as good and cheap as posible.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes sorry..., mainly there are two fields of interest, one is interiors, so no much wind worries.. and the other are natural field recordings, with the interest on quiet atmospheres handling the wind noise as good and cheap as posible.
Well the simplest/cheapest form of wind protection suitable for gentle wind is a slip on furry: the Rode WS8 is cheap and, despite specs saying it is for 20mm + mics, it will fit OK on a 19mm mic like the MKH 8000 series. It is quite short, so will leave enough of the MKH 8020 mic body (and the XLR) exposed to fit a suspension (e.g. Rycote Invision).

Cheers,

Roland
Here for the gear
Quote:
Well the simplest/cheapest form of wind protection suitable for gentle wind is a slip on furry: the Rode WS8 is cheap and, despite specs saying it is for 20mm + mics, it will fit OK on a 19mm mic like the MKH 8000 series. It is quite short, so will leave enough of the MKH 8020 mic body (and the XLR) exposed to fit a suspension (e.g. Rycote Invision).

Cheers,

Roland
Thanks for the advice!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Once I used my Peluso 22 251 LDC to record outdoor nature sounds (mainly birds) starting a few hours before sunrise until an hour or so after. I needed some bird sounds to go with a video I made about building a hillside path, and traffic noise was too loud during the day as a distraction from the birds.

The Peluso (now for sale, for other reasons) did a great job in omni mode. But I have to admit being bored to death while listening with intensity to hours of mostly nothing. I ended up finding an "ideal" segment of a few minutes and ended up just looping that through the video. Frankly, no one watching would be able to tell the difference.

The OP's project sounds great if you smoke a lot of stuff before analyzing the playback.
📝 Reply