The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Samar cardioid mic
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New Samar cardioid mic

Mark Fouxman's creations generally get a very warm reception here...this is his latest:

http://samaraudiodesign.com/MG20.html

"MG20 is a transformer coupled small diaphragm microphone that features very low noise, high SPL handling, natural sonics, smooth response and full extended low end. This makes the MG20 the perfect solution for demanding professional engineers, studios, artists, as well as home recording enthusiast to make highest quality recordings. It is handcrafted and meticulously assembled at the company’s Salt Lake City based shop.

The Samar MG20 design was conceived and realized by the company’s founder, Dr. Mark Fouxman. The efficiency of the construction and using innovative acoustical shape of the body are responsible for excellent off-axis response and minimal phase distortions behavior. Use of highest quality internal electronic parts and optimization of the design makes it no-compromise microphone, which will provide the highest possible level of performance and years of dependability.

At the heart of of the MG20 is a very high quality capsule working with a transformer coupled circuit, which consists of a single jFet loaded by made in house transformer. This circuit is very similar to a classic KM84 with a few modern tweaks to boost the performance even further. The transformer was developed by Dr. Mark Fouxman specifically for this model and wound chambered (topology adopted in Neumann BV8 and some other expensive transformers) for very low capacitance and excellent high frequency response, and assembled using US made 80% Nickel core lamination.

Special attention has been paid to the acoustical optimization of the MG20 microphone body, which forms a special shaped acoustical lens. This arrangement eliminates any sound waves interference, including off-axis. These facets along with acoustically open mesh screen eliminate any reflections, ensure the most acoustically transparent sound possible and phase integrity.

Created to facilitate a wide range of applications the MG20 delivers smooth sound, with deep bass response and an un-hyped, sibilance free, top end. Due to the un-colored and neutral nature of the sonics built into the MG20, it is especially suitable for applications where sibilance-free sound is a priority, notably vocals, voice over, and podcast applications. The extended low end and smooth top end make the MG20 an excellent choice for violins, brass instruments, mandolin, acoustic and electric guitars, drum overheads, various percussions, room microphones, orchestra, and choir among other recording, broadcast, and classical music applications"

Despite its appearance, I doubt it's recommended to invert and use for making smoothies or pureeing soup...it would be great if an omni pattern mic could also join this family ?

The mic body shape is reminiscent of an older Altec model: https://www.coutant.org/altec21b/index.html

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 04:40 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also, a new Samar ribbon and dynamic mic in-line preamp is now on sale: http://samaraudiodesign.com/Active.html
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Despite its appearance, I doubt it's recommended to invert and use for making smoothies or pureeing soup.
I have a few Earthworks mics that people frequently compare to dentistry tools; if I got one of these I'd have an immersion blender to complement them.

It does look intriguing and surprisingly affordable!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This looks like a very interesting mic, and yes, reasonably priced for what appears to be very high quality. I look forward to hearing some reports about it!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Also, a new Samar ribbon and dynamic mic in-line preamp is now on sale: http://samaraudiodesign.com/Active.html
Wow, a pair if those is mighty tempting!! 18dB with absolutely no added noise....I love dynamics and ribbons......
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, that looks like a really interesting inline booster as well. One of those with an M88 would probably make for a very expensive-sounding chain.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Yes, that looks like a really interesting inline booster as well. One of those with an M88 would probably make for a very expensive-sounding chain.
Two of those with 545's or 635a's on acoustic wouIdn't be crap I bet. I have a whoIe bunch of mics I Iove the sound of that those wouId very IikeIy eIevate bigtime for big smiIes....
📝 Reply