The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will I regret using this many M160s live?
Old 2 weeks ago

🎧 5 years
Will I regret using this many M160s live?

I’m doing a location recording where I will have limited time to setup and audition mics. A small jazz club in Indianapolis. The band is incredible really. 4 pieces… Guitar, Bass, Sax, and drums. I’ll put my input list down below. My question is, will I regret using beyer m160s for drum overheads, guitar and sax mics? Too much of the sam character/ eq curve? Should I switch to sdcs for drum overheads to add some more top end and clarity to the recording?

1. BASS - CHANDLER TG - 1073 1
2. BASS AMP - sm7b - 1073 2
3. GUITAR AMP - m160 - isa 1
4. SAX - m160 - isa 2
5. ROOM L - MIKTEK C5 - isa 3
6. ROOM R - MIKTEK C5 - isa 4

7. KICK - CHANDLER TG -APHEX 1
8. SNARE- BEYER TG - APHEX 2
9. TOM - BEYER TG - APHEX 3
10. TOM - BEYER TG - APHEX 4
11. OH L - m160 - APHEX 5
12. OH R -m160 - APHEX 6
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love m160s, but yes, I would probably opt for sdc condensers for OHs. You might consider some inline boosters to help reduce cumulative preamp noise using so many dynamic/ribbon mics.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
maybe except for sax, you don't need boosters for the m-160's in any of above mentioned applications, unless it's a very, very quiet ensemble.

that said, i don't like hypercardioids as overheads much and a/b neither...
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

🎧 20 years
I have been using beyerdynamic M160s on drum overheads on a variety of genres with excellent results for decades. I don't leave home without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlbabcock ➡️
I’m doing a location recording where I will have limited time to setup and audition mics. A small jazz club in Indianapolis. The band is incredible really. 4 pieces… Guitar, Bass, Sax, and drums. I’ll put my input list down below. My question is, will I regret using beyer m160s for drum overheads, guitar and sax mics? Too much of the sam character/ eq curve? Should I switch to sdcs for drum overheads to add some more top end and clarity to the recording?

1. BASS - CHANDLER TG - 1073 1
2. BASS AMP - sm7b - 1073 2
3. GUITAR AMP - m160 - isa 1
4. SAX - m160 - isa 2
5. ROOM L - MIKTEK C5 - isa 3
6. ROOM R - MIKTEK C5 - isa 4

7. KICK - CHANDLER TG -APHEX 1
8. SNARE- BEYER TG - APHEX 2
9. TOM - BEYER TG - APHEX 3
10. TOM - BEYER TG - APHEX 4
11. OH L - m160 - APHEX 5
12. OH R -m160 - APHEX 6
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You won't regret it. m160s on OHs are secret sauce, learned that from Steve R as noted! If the sax player moves around you might consider a cardioid pattern mic.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
I have been using beyerdynamic M160s on drum overheads on a variety of genres with excellent results for decades. I don't leave home without them.
Steve, how high do I heave to place the mics to defeat the hypercardiod pattern? It’s a live jazz quartet. I have very limited space on stage. I’m afraid of getting a weird image of the drums. Like @ deedeeyeah said hypercardiod isn’t typically a pattern I’d prefer for over head but I know people love m160s for this application. I just bought them. It’s my first rodeo and I don’t have a control room to audition spacing. I was thinking of doing A/B. I ORTF or XY more suited for this application?

The guys playing are MONSTERS. Very cool. I’ll have to share the recording with you when it’s done. I’ve recorded them in studio and the just f**kin killed it.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 20 years
for me, the hypercardioid pattern is my friend. It helps isolate the backline. I get them as tall as I can, depending on the environment. I have a specific way I position them to get the most out of the hypercardioid polar pattern while capturing the entire drum kit.

I (almost) never do ORTF or XY for the drums. It's just not what it's about for the type of sound I'm going after.

I attached an insane amount of images for your reference and possible Q&A...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlbabcock ➡️
Steve, how high do I heave to place the mics to defeat the hypercardiod pattern? It’s a live jazz quartet. I have very limited space on stage. I’m afraid of getting a weird image of the drums. Like @ deedeeyeah said hypercardiod isn’t typically a pattern I’d prefer for over head but I know people love m160s for this application. I just bought them. It’s my first rodeo and I don’t have a control room to audition spacing. I was thinking of doing A/B. I ORTF or XY more suited for this application?

The guys playing are MONSTERS. Very cool. I’ll have to share the recording with you when it’s done. I’ve recorded them in studio and the just f**kin killed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Will I regret using this many M160s live?-fk-five-week-recording-session-brooklyn-franklin-kiermyer-his-killer-band-.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-fk-im-digging-new-drums-setup.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-fk-new-drums-new-mic-gobo-setups.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-fk-now-youre-talkin-.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-fk-positioning-franklins-drum-overhead-mics.jpeg  

Will I regret using this many M160s live?-fk-sound-check-progress.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-ie-i-cannot-capture-drum-kit-without-my-trusty-drummers-right-knee-mic-technique.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-ie-view-kitchen-area-looking-into-drum-bass-world.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-jb-check-out-how-i-miced-joe-saylors-dual-drum-kit-setup.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-jb-its-such-joy-listening-jon-batiste-friends-during-sound-check-rehearsal-earlier.jpeg  

Will I regret using this many M160s live?-joe-jackson-during-22summer-city-live-new-york-22-album-recording-joes-pu.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-jtw-no-clearsonic-plexiglas-panels-were-harmed-capture-these-live-performance-iso.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-jtw-sure-great-mic-positioning-proper-placement-instruments-backline-key.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-jtw-close-up-mics-not-close-you-may-think.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-mmw-drum-mics-galore.jpeg  

Will I regret using this many M160s live?-mmw-22neve-22-room-rest.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-tbcf-sound-check-camera-blocking-band-called-fuse.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-calm-before-musical-storm.jpeg   Will I regret using this many M160s live?-todays-office-sistas-place-fabulous-akua-dixon-turre-.jpeg  
📝 Reply