The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which of these mics for organ recording in church?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Which of these mics for organ recording in church?

Hey guys,

I could really use your kind help and expertise on this.
I want to record a pipe organ in a church, and can choose only one of the following stereo pairs. My plan is to have a simple AB configuration as high up as I can get (probably about 4m) maybe 5-10m away from the instrument.

Which one do you think would deliver the best results?

Microtech Gefell M221
Neumann KM53
Sennheiser MKH20
Neumann Gefell: MV690 + M58

(I might be able to get Schoeps CMC6 MK2, but it would be a bit of a headache to get those for this recording, so I would prefer one of the above)

Also if you have any other tips let me know.
Thank you so much

Last edited by Akagi; 2 weeks ago at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Add info
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Any of those mics will capture a good recording. I recommend using solid state mics instead of tube mics for organ.

Can also have excellent results with cardioid mics on organ.

best wishes on a good capture.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akagi ➡️
Hey guys,

I want to record a pipe organ in a church, and can choose only one of the following stereo pairs. My plan is to have a simple AB configuration as high up as I can get (probably about 4m) maybe 5-10m away from the instrument.

Microtech Gefell M221
Neumann KM53
Sennheiser MKH20

(I might be able to get Schoeps CMC6 MK2, but it would be a bit of a headache to get those for this recording, so I would prefer one of the above)

Thank you so much
I did a three day sampling project about a year ago - organ and largish medium sized church room.

I recommend cardioid and work on recording the room itself. Organs are made to be heard in a room, as part of the instrument.

If you spend some time walking around listening as someone plays, you can easily find the spots where the room sounds best. I hate to even suggest any distance because each organ and pipe array and room is usually unique. Too far forward and you lose the room and get too much mechanical noise/ too far back and bass build up can be too much and the decay can be weird. I’d probably start in the middle and go forward or back from there.

One single place will likely have nulls on some notes, so it is good to have a couple of pairs for insurance. It’s a fun recording project. Enjoy!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you very much for the advice!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why limit yourself? Put up a cardioid pair and an omni pair. Listen for what you like best. Maybe even blend the two pairs. Omnis will always get you the really low frequencies that many associate with big pipe organs (although some EQ on the cardioids might get you what you want too). If I had to choose one pair from the ones you listed, MKH20 would be my preference.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akagi ➡️
Hey guys,

Microtech Gefell M221
Neumann KM53
Sennheiser MKH20

Thank you so much
I own m58 and used m221 a couple of times.

Both sound great on organ.
📝 Reply