The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps MK2 vs Sonodore LDM 54: in my hands
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Schoeps MK2 vs Sonodore LDM 54: in my hands

So finally I got Sonodore LDM 54 to try )

And was very curious to compare them with my holy grail Schoeps MK2 with Rens Heijnis mode ... Over the years I tried so many microphones (Gefell, DPA, AEA, Samar etc. etc.) with a hope to find something better or at least the same good for recording solo acoustic instruments) but always found Schoeps simply better.

I heard many stories about LDM 54 and was really excited to find out if they are true and if they would be true for my area of recording interests ...

Well, it actually took just few minutes to find out that a new holy grail was really discovered this time ... all my instruments seems to suddenly sound yet better, deeper, sweeter and more full and natural ... Schoeps in comparison always slightly bit thinner with a kind of edgy square highs and slightly less full and natural as if ... And when some drums and percussion were used, Sonodore had quite more transients and powerful sound ...

Well ... yes

Now I am going to try to discover some new setups for my musical instruments ...

Children happy with their new toys :D
Attached Thumbnails
Schoeps MK2 vs Sonodore LDM 54: in my hands-314610741_5422800167847870_8657478420842762829_n.jpeg   Schoeps MK2 vs Sonodore LDM 54: in my hands-314674444_5422800191181201_1579236380977093123_n.jpeg  

Last edited by ISedlacek; 3 weeks ago at 08:18 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am very surprised to hear you describe the mk2 as thin, edgy, and less natural…The sonodores must be outstanding. I shall read up on them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Schoeps are great and outstanding but still I often felt they could sound more flowing, sweeter and deeper ... well now it sounds like this ...

BTW - why this thread was moved to some "mobile - location rig" ?? It has nothing to do with it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There does not seem to be a sonodore dealer in the US…
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
There does not seem to be a sonodore dealer in the US…
There is no Sonodore dealer anywhere
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Post some comparative samples when you get a chance.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Funny to hear others describe the "sound" of one mic against others on this forum.

Not say the OP is wrong and I have had that same reaction to other brands, "better" or "worse".

Fascinating that I hear a brand and would describe it and others might hear the same brand and describe it diametrically opposed.

Just an observation.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
…..
Fascinating that I hear a brand and would describe it and others might hear the same brand and describe it diametrically opposed.

Just an observation.

D.
Through which mic preamp (especially)….and rest of the playback chain (in general) ? I doubt there’s any consensus about neutrality given so many variables in the signal path
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Through which mic preamp (especially)….and rest of the playback chain (in general) ? I doubt there’s any consensus about neutrality given so many variables in the signal path
This.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Funny to hear others describe the "sound" of one mic against others on this forum.

Not say the OP is wrong and I have had that same reaction to other brands, "better" or "worse".

Just an observation.

D.
That's why I will not post any audio samples For me the difference is clear and obvious for my specific needs, taste and type of work. I do not need any confirmation disputation from others For somebody else's specific need, taste and type of work, everybody has to try for himself ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Absolutely could never describe a MK2 as edgy or thin. Laughable !

We need more very specific English language description of the differences.
I use Sonodore here too as well as Rens modded 60 volt Schoeps. Always used with a Rens Heijnis Custom Built mic preamp.

LDM a brighter sound by far than MK2.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️

LDM a brighter sound by far than MK2.
Not really
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I tried LDM 54 on many many solo acoustic instruments and directly compared with Schoeps. LDM has fuller and more natural sound, more depth and warmth and somehow more 3D space. MK2 sound nice but a bit thinner as if and the space is a kind of 2D comparing to LDM. (in AB stereo position).

And by that and in that comparison MK2 sound indeed a bit thinner and more "edgy" as if in some cases. For example on my violin, MK2 show that extra thin edgy high touch, while LDM sounds fuller and more velvet ...

I use Forssell SMP-2 preamp.

Just tested on solo acoustic instruments in the studio. No ensembles, no locations ...

Anyway, just my perceptions and impressions ... there are as many (different) worlds and universes as there are living beings
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
almost all 'comparisons', 'tests' or 'shoot outs' around here are flawed - often in various ways - and yet people rave about or diss gear, based on their limited exoerience and/or on anecdotal 'evidence'... - in this case, the judgment (without providing any details) reads more like a paid post.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
almost all 'comparisons', 'tests' or 'shoot outs' around here are flawed - often in various ways - and yet people rave about or diss gear, based on their limited exoerience and/or on anecdotal 'evidence'... - in this case, the judgment (without providing any details) reads more like a paid post.
Paid post ? By whom? Ok, then I must ask myself to pay me some money for spending time here to share my experience ...

Quote:
based on their limited exoerience and/or on anecdotal 'evidence'.
Oh yes, I started to learn how to record things and how to create music only last month. And it is indeed funny and anecdotal...

Quote:
(without providing any details)
If you care to read above, you may indeed find some details. If you want more details, I can provide but first I will send you my account no. so that your "paid post" becomes true .
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Listening to records last night done with the LDM’s, I couldn’t help but wonder how they’d compare to the KM131, my favorite mic for neutral nearfield capture.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I’m glad to see another thread on Sonodore mics, Ivo. Thanks for the efforts to bring them forward. Whenever I get back to investing in more audio gear, several Sonodore and a few more Schoeps mics are at the top of my buy list.

I agree with Hudson that “We need more very specific English language description of the differences.” But I think this is the case in over 99% of the posts on GS. . .which aligns with D’s reflection on ever present flaws in our methods and communication.

That withstanding, I look forward to hearing more about your circumstances and results with the LDM 54 mics—as you further discover what specifically works for you and what doesn’t.

Regards,

Ray H.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hello Ivo,

But you always used to post your recordings here which were universally hailed as fantastic. You gonna have to come up with the goods on this comparison too, my man.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Hello Ivo,

But you always used to post your recordings here which were universally hailed as fantastic. You gonna have to come up with the goods on this comparison too, my man.
Not universally…at least on the fake unconvincing reverb/ambience dimension…
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➡️
Paid post ? By whom? Ok, then I must ask myself to pay me some money for spending time here to share my experience ...

Oh yes, I started to learn how to record things and how to create music only last month. And it is indeed funny and anecdotal...

If you care to read above, you may indeed find some details. If you want more details, I can provide but first I will send you my account no. so that your "paid post" becomes true .
so you've been comparing these particular mics with other models for decades, used them in your studio, on location, live, for broadcasting? no? - see, that's why i'm talking about 'anecdotal evidence' - and neither your pic nor text reveal any details, so to my ears, your post 'sounds' like a fanboy raving about a new toy - or like a paid post.

btw: what are current prices? - anyway, i hope you enjoy your new mics.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tough crowd.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
so you've been comparing these particular mics with other models for decades, used them in your studio, on location, live, for broadcasting? no? - see, that's why i'm talking about 'anecdotal evidence' - and neither your pic nor text reveal any details, so to my ears, your post 'sounds' like a fanboy raving about a new toy - or like a paid post.
Your output level is clipping a bit ... Reducing volume may help.
📝 Reply