The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reilly and Maloney: 20 years ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 20 years
Reilly and Maloney: 20 years ago

Back in the early '80's, when people first started offering to pay me to record their music and I decided to take this recording thing seriously, I had two dreams. One was to find and record the next Kate Wolf; I'm still working on that one. The other was to record my favorite folk duo. Twenty years ago this month, I lived my dream.
Ginny Reilly and David Maloney were a much beloved folk duo on the west coast during the 70's and 80's. They went their separate ways around 1990, but got back together again for about 10 years, beginning in 2002. I first met David when he was doing a solo gig at a small venue where I used to do live sound. We hit it off immediately and I was thrilled (and honored) when he later asked me to record a series of concerts celebrating the duo's return to touring together. My first time recording them, I was fortunate to capture their music and turn it into a CD. I have since recorded more than half a dozen projects with them (together or solo).
Here are a few pictures from one of those events. The first is a picture of the marquee, great memory. The second pic shows the gear- ready for load out of my studio. The third is Ginny and David on stage at the Little Fox.
My equipment back then centered on Tascam DA 78's. Note the solid wood (either cherry or mahogany) equipment cases. I'm a little too old to be carrying them around now, so they stay in the studio (with different equipment in them). Also not the old comm setup for communication between my assistant and me; hasn't been used in years (cell phones). The track sheet (picture 4) shows how everything was connected, while pic 5 is the resulting CD cover.

Also attached is a song from that CD.
Attached Thumbnails
Reilly and Maloney: 20 years ago-marquee.jpg   Reilly and Maloney: 20 years ago-stage.jpg   Reilly and Maloney: 20 years ago-together-again.jpg   Reilly and Maloney: 20 years ago-track-sheet.jpg   Reilly and Maloney: 20 years ago-equip.jpg  

Attached Files

Cant Let Go.mp3 (7.02 MB, 22 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I remember them from the folk scene back then, this brings back memories!

And Kate Wolf, wow. I lived in the Boston area in the 1980s and she came to town fairly frequently on tour, usually with Nina Gerber, and I saw her a bunch of times. Nanci Griffith started touring in New England around the same time; John Gorka used to open for her at Club Passim. And Tracy Chapman got her start in the '80s busking in the street around Harvard Square; I still remember the first time I saw her. She was about to stop but we made her kept going; people were putting $20 bills in her guitar case. When she held her first concert at Club Passim the line stretched for blocks and they had to turn hundreds of people away.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 20 years
It occured to me that I recorded that song (Can't Let Go) again, about 10 years later. That time it was a studio recording by a lovely young lady named Tracy Miller who, unfortunately, chose not to pursue a recording career (though she did release one album: 'Acre of Land'). Interesting contrast.
Attached Files

Cant Let Go- Tracy.mp3 (6.33 MB, 12 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Great album! I did live sound and recorded them direct to stereo ( for archives) at the Cherry Tree Music Co-op in Philadelphia- in the 90โ€™s?. Wonderful harmonies, and
their version of The Bramble and the Rose is the best.
Kate Wolf also played there-she was as gentle and warm in person as came across in her music.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…