The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom, Tascam or other portable standalone unit for Gigs
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Zoom, Tascam or other portable standalone unit for Gigs

Hi all,

New member, short time lurker here. For the past year or so I have been doing Gig Photography at local venues for mainly Rock / Metal Acts and now I wish to go onto the Audio & Video side of things at events as well.

I have numerous cameras which are more than capable of recording video at 8K / 4K / 1080, but what I have with picture quality, I do not have anywhere near with Audio from the inbuilt mic on my cameras.

Recently I discovered handy recorders like the ZOOM H2N and Tascam range, but this is where I am at a lost on what to go for to record live Rock Music audio, either as a standalone device or connected to the Hotshoe on my Mirrorless or DSLR camera.

Ideally I would like to offer bands the ability to Record video with decent quality audio of their performance, or if they prefer, audio tracks from their performance along with the gig photos.

I would also like to use the device to capture sounds of wildlife and waterfalls when on holiday.

I would prefer using a recorder with inbuilt microphones, as I am not currently looking to plug in extra mics as well.

If anyone can advise it would me much appreciated
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWAR1976 ➡️
Hi all,

New member, short time lurker here. For the past year or so I have been doing Gig Photography at local venues for mainly Rock / Metal Acts and now I wish to go onto the Audio & Video side of things at events as well.

I have numerous cameras which are more than capable of recording video at 8K / 4K / 1080, but what I have with picture quality, I do not have anywhere near with Audio from the inbuilt mic on my cameras.

Recently I discovered handy recorders like the ZOOM H2N and Tascam range, but this is where I am at a lost on what to go for to record live Rock Music audio, either as a standalone device or connected to the Hotshoe on my Mirrorless or DSLR camera.

Ideally I would like to offer bands the ability to Record video with decent quality audio of their performance, or if they prefer, audio tracks from their performance along with the gig photos.

I would also like to use the device to capture sounds of wildlife and waterfalls when on holiday.

I would prefer using a recorder with inbuilt microphones, as I am not currently looking to plug in extra mics as well.

If anyone can advise it would me much appreciated
Personally, I think you are sacrificing a lot in terms of audio quality when you insist on inbuilt mics. Can you explain the reasoning behind this requirement? I can plug two Line Audio Omni1's directly into my MixPre-3 or MixPre-6 (via right angle adapters) and have a standalone device with no cables that 'looks' sortof like a Zoom but sounds a lot better in my opinion. The high self-noise of little recorders is not really a huge problem for loud concerts, but the little mics will lose bass and sound tinny, thin, and mono-ish.

Standalone recorders are fine for 'archival' recording, but having tried a bunch of them, I can say that a Zoom next to your camera is probably not going to give your bands audio that the are happy with for anything more than archival listening, and it won't sound good for their YouTube. If you can place the recorder in a sweet spot, then it may be OK-ish.

Even for bands that release albums that are basically recorded a lot like the way you would record a live concert (think Rage Against the Machine---mics placed in front of loudspeakers and songs recorded all at once rather than separate instruments & mixed together), you get a lot of stereo depth in a publically released record. Not possible with a little zoom.

FWIW you might also ask at Taperssection.com, which is dedicated (mainly) to people who record rock concerts
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you want to capture an amplified concert, you'd really want a stereo output from a P.A desk and feed it to a portable recorder.
You could use a 4 track recorder - use channels 1&2 for the P.A, and 3&4 for ambience and audience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using built-in mics would be sort of like being happy with 720 or lesser quality video. Also mics at the best position for good sound are often not located at the best camera position for the video. In medium to large venues, the PA feed from the mixer may be a reasonable mix to capture, but not in smaller venues where the loudest direct sounds from the stage (eg drum kit, bass/guitar amps) contribute significantly to what the audience hears and are at a lower level in the PA mix.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➡️
Using built-in mics would be sort of like being happy with 720 or lesser quality video. Also mics at the best position for good sound are often not located at the best camera position for the video. In medium to large venues, the PA feed from the mixer may be a reasonable mix to capture, but not in smaller venues where the loudest direct sounds from the stage (eg drum kit, bass/guitar amps) contribute significantly to what the audience hears and are at a lower level in the PA mix.
+100.

JWAR, there are people that spend a lot of time and money capturing just the audio.

I'd recommend thinking carefully about your budget and other requirements, and come back for suggestions.

The best way to do this would be a load of mic splitters, plus additional mics of your own, taking a multi-track recording and then mixing it down at your studio.

Next best would be taking a feed from the mixing desk. The stereo mix, as mentioned in the quoted post above, may or may not work for you - you might need additional feeds to balance the sound later.

If all that sounds like too much work, perhaps it'd be best to collaborate with someone who's more interested in the audio side of things.

Chris
📝 Reply