The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb for live performance
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hello David,

Isn’t his really hard to do what you are trying to do without listening to the whole sound in the performance space, in the audience seats? What sounds good in your headphone does not necessarily translate to what is really going on in the hall, does it?

When I prepare for a concert, I always try to walk into the audience during dress rehearsal to listen for the balance, seating placement, tempo, etc.. I found adjustments always have to be made, big or small. Shouldn't you have someone else play your cello while you listen in the audience? You might come up with very different settings on your rig.

Good luck.

Da-Hong
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You're absolutely correct, Da-Hong. This is all "up front" work that will require tweaking for each venue. The point of building a GUI in Gig Performer is to provide a simplified set of controls to allow quick adjustments on site. It's a typical fact of the engagements I do that I need to rely on some trusted audience member to tell me what's happening out there. It would be exceedingly rare for someone else to be able to play my cello, though I've certainly done it for other cellists when I was their engineer.

In principle, it might be possible for me to set up a dummy head or Schneider disk in the audience area and pipe it to my IEM's for evaluation purposes. I couldn't really perform that way due to the delay but it might help in judging the wet/dry ratio that should go to FOH. If there were a house engineer, I could certainly send her both dry and wet feeds to be mixed from the FOH position.

David
📝 Reply