The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help with a setup
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Need help with a setup

Hi there. I am a complete nooh.

I have a question. I own boss rc505 mk 2 (wich works as an audio interface) wich i run to my macbook . I would like to use turnado 9n ipad to effect the whole thing recorded on rc 505.
I have no idea what kind of cables do i need or if i need another audio interface to make it work(i own scarlet 2i2 3rd gen).

I am usin ableton lite on the mac.

Thanks in advance🤙
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceApe777 ➡️
Hi there. I am a complete nooh.

I have a question. I own boss rc505 mk 2 (wich works as an audio interface) wich i run to my macbook . I would like to use turnado 9n ipad to effect the whole thing recorded on rc 505.
I have no idea what kind of cables do i need or if i need another audio interface to make it work(i own scarlet 2i2 3rd gen).

I am usin ableton lite on the mac.

Thanks in advance🤙
There will be lots of help available here, if you refine the question a little bit.

The Boss 505 can act as a recorder, and so can Ableton.

You're wanting to process signals, using an I-Pad, but we need to know how many, and... where?

What sources are you wanting to record? Mainly, how manyat once, and are they mic level, instrument level, or line level sources?

Where will the recordings reside... on the 505 or in Ableton?

Where in the audio chain do you want the I-Pad effects to take place? Will you process raw signals, already recorded, such that a finished product sounds different? Or...

Would you rather apply processing to the signals before they are recorded?

If so, will the processing only be applied to the recorded signals, or do the musicians in the room need to ALSO hear the processing while they are recording?

Be aware... Ableton Light only allows two inputs and two outputs active at one time, regardless of how many I/O your interface(s) possess.

The next level up, Intro, allows 8 of each, but costs $100.

Until we hear back from you, the possible answers will be needlessly complex.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 ➡️
There will be lots of help available here, if you refine the question a little bit.

The Boss 505 can act as a recorder, and so can Ableton.

You're wanting to process signals, using an I-Pad, but we need to know how many, and... where?

What sources are you wanting to record? Mainly, how manyat once, and are they mic level, instrument level, or line level sources?

Where will the recordings reside... on the 505 or in Ableton?

Where in the audio chain do you want the I-Pad effects to take place? Will you process raw signals, already recorded, such that a finished product sounds different? Or...

Would you rather apply processing to the signals before they are recorded?

If so, will the processing only be applied to the recorded signals, or do the musicians in the room need to ALSO hear the processing while they are recording?

Be aware... Ableton Light only allows two inputs and two outputs active at one time, regardless of how many I/O your interface(s) possess.

The next level up, Intro, allows 8 of each, but costs $100.

Until we hear back from you, the possible answers will be needlessly complex.
Thanx for your reply.
My knowledge is realy limited when it comes to the music leanguage. I am realy a noob. Also , I am not a native english speaker but I will try to explain as well as i can.

My idea is to use vochlea duber that would run to boss n then back to the ableton . I wanna connect the mic to kaoss pad3 ,then run it to the rc 505 through the 8nstrument input. Rc 505 has cabability to send 5 separate tracks to the daw. The track fx on rc505 can be applied in real time n that can be also recorded in the DAW in real time. I would like to use turnado in the same way as the track fx on the rc 505. I would like to process all the tracks on the loopstation while recording it to the DAW live.
There would be no other musicians. Just me. The idea is to make live music production . Something similar to Beardyman.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanx for your reply.
My knowledge is realy limited when it comes to the music leanguage. I am realy a noob. Also , I am not a native english speaker but I will try to explain as well as i can.

My idea is to use vochlea duber that would run to boss n then back to the ableton . I wanna connect the mic to kaoss pad3 ,then run it to the rc 505 through the 8nstrument input. Rc 505 has cabability to send 5 separate tracks to the daw. The track fx on rc505 can be applied in real time n that can be also recorded in the DAW in real time. I would like to use turnado in the same way as the track fx on the rc 505. I would like to process all the tracks on the loopstation while recording it to the DAW live.
There would be no other musicians. Just me. The idea is to make live music production . Something similar to Beardyman.
Ooookayyy... here, for objectives simpler than this, my first tools out are pen and paper.

Thing is... I know every device here. I have an RC-3 and RC-20 or 30... and I'll need to search out everyone of yours, just to find out what they are, except maybe the 505.

Maybe a couple hours, maybe a few days. Will update.

PS... do you need to hear the FX while r3cording, or just need em on tape? If you need to hear them, what device feeds the speakers or headphones you use while recording?

(This is called "artist monitors" and it's important to know where this signal is fed from.)
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ooookayyy... here, for objectives simpler than this, my first tools out are pen and paper.

Thing is... I know every device here. I have an RC-3 and RC-20 or 30... and I'll need to search out everyone of yours, just to find out what they are, except maybe the 505.

Maybe a couple hours, maybe a few days. Will update.

PS... do you need to hear the FX while r3cording, or just need em on tape? If you need to hear them, what device feeds the speakers or headphones you use while recording?

(This is called "artist monitors" and it's important to know where this signal is fed from.)
Wow,thanks a lot.
I'd like to mention that the rc505 mk2 is way different than the previous loopstations. It operates on 32bit and also it is capable of way much more than it's predecessor.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow,thanks a lot.
I'd like to mention that the rc505 mk2 is way different than the previous loopstations. It operates on 32bit and also it is capable of way much more than it's predecessor.
Ok, things are pretty crazy here, it seems all my live gigs are having A/C trouble these-days, but I have a few minutes before load-in today.

I'm not an Apple guy, but I believe you need a stereo, line input/line output device, with solid drivers. You might look at IK Multimedia's I-Rig devices on Amazon, and use the "similar items" section to compare and contrast reviews, in order to make sure which devices work well and which have problems.

That gets your "effects processor" into the audio chain.

Exactly how you route audio thru it will require some experimentation. If the goal is to have Apple based FX on tracks recorded in Ableton, I can think of at least three possibilities:

1. Main Looper outputs thru Apple, then into Ableton. Simple, straight forward, but you'll have to set the mix ratio, unprocessed audio to processed audio, within the Apple software. For a compressor or EQ, you usually want 100% wet mix. For a reverb or delay or chorus, you'll probably want at least some dry and some wet signal, and how much of each will be decided in the Apple with this configuration.

2. Use a pair of Sub Outputs on the Looper to feed the Apple, and bring 4 inputs into Ableton. Two will be dry, unprocessed audio direct from the Looper, and the other two will be 100 percent wet, or processed, from the Apple. Then you can use the Ableton channel faders during mixing to get the best balance of dry versus processed audio... just the right amount of reverb, for example.

3. Hang the Apple off the Ableton machine, stereo outs from Ableton to the Apple, stereo returns from the Apple back into Ableton. You'll set up sends to an external device in Ableton, and you'll need at least 4 inputs and 4 outputs on your Ableton PC's-audio interface. 2 inputs for stereo signals from the Looper, 2 outputs to the Apple, 2 more inputs for FX returns from the Apple to Ableton, and two outputs for your speakers.

This would give you total control over your recordings and effects, just like any other outboard hardware effects unit.

None of these options will allow recording Apple effects into Looper tracks... just effected Looper output into Ableton.

If effected Looper tracks are required, my advice will change.

If you need any adapters at all, they will be XLR to 1/4 inch, and these are common and easy to find.

Good luck!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ok, things are pretty crazy here, it seems all my live gigs are having A/C trouble these-days, but I have a few minutes before load-in today.

I'm not an Apple guy, but I believe you need a stereo, line input/line output device, with solid drivers. You might look at IK Multimedia's I-Rig devices on Amazon, and use the "similar items" section to compare and contrast reviews, in order to make sure which devices work well and which have problems.

That gets your "effects processor" into the audio chain.

Exactly how you route audio thru it will require some experimentation. If the goal is to have Apple based FX on tracks recorded in Ableton, I can think of at least three possibilities:

1. Main Looper outputs thru Apple, then into Ableton. Simple, straight forward, but you'll have to set the mix ratio, unprocessed audio to processed audio, within the Apple software. For a compressor or EQ, you usually want 100% wet mix. For a reverb or delay or chorus, you'll probably want at least some dry and some wet signal, and how much of each will be decided in the Apple with this configuration.

2. Use a pair of Sub Outputs on the Looper to feed the Apple, and bring 4 inputs into Ableton. Two will be dry, unprocessed audio direct from the Looper, and the other two will be 100 percent wet, or processed, from the Apple. Then you can use the Ableton channel faders during mixing to get the best balance of dry versus processed audio... just the right amount of reverb, for example.

3. Hang the Apple off the Ableton machine, stereo outs from Ableton to the Apple, stereo returns from the Apple back into Ableton. You'll set up sends to an external device in Ableton, and you'll need at least 4 inputs and 4 outputs on your Ableton PC's-audio interface. 2 inputs for stereo signals from the Looper, 2 outputs to the Apple, 2 more inputs for FX returns from the Apple to Ableton, and two outputs for your speakers.

This would give you total control over your recordings and effects, just like any other outboard hardware effects unit.

None of these options will allow recording Apple effects into Looper tracks... just effected Looper output into Ableton.

If effected Looper tracks are required, my advice will change.

If you need any adapters at all, they will be XLR to 1/4 inch, and these are common and easy to find.

Good luck!
Thanks for this interesting information!
📝 Reply