The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Shavers"
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
"Shavers"

I would hate to think that it's anything like arrogance that would lead someone to compare a handheld stereo recorder to an electric razor-- to relegate it to a class of equipment far below the exalted realms of "real" gear.

Here is a sample I recorded Friday night, stumbling onto a trio playing out in the street infront of a bar. Out on the street, I said-- they'd blocked off roads in the neighborhood for a nice little evening under the stars.

I used the humblest of the humblest devices-- a Tascam DR03, smaller than a pack of Tiparillos, which I believe I got on sale in 2006, half price, for $40.

For all its faults, I would say this conveys something of the experience of being there. That's all I'm saying, and there, I said it.
Attached Files
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You rock our (sometimes) humble industry, Joel.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice capture Joel….very good rendition of a band (in any space), and perhaps the absence of room boundary reflections even enhances the clarity and solidity of their sound ?

If you hadn’t told us about the capture method…thus inviting the usual hail of invective against ‘low rent recording’ which will invariably follow…would we, tree falling in a forest unheard, be any the wiser… or less impressed ? I doubt it.
Old 3 weeks ago
B88
Here for the gear

Did you do anything or is this straight off the "shaver"?

I noticed these were always said to have a pair of omni condenser microphones. I wonder if they are really omnis so close together to get a sound like yours here?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B88 ➡️
Did you do anything or is this straight off the "shaver"?

I noticed these were always said to have a pair of omni condenser microphones. I wonder if they are really omnis so close together to get a sound like yours here?
The original wav file, 48/24, has been run through Digital Performer 10... the Dynamic Equalizer therein is a very cool combo, I highly recommend it.

Yep, the Tascam site describes the mics as "Stereo omni condenser microphone design," must be the way the housing physically glances each mic off to each side that it gets the stereo-ism that it does.

Hopefully prices on the used market have just skyrocketed because of this thread!!!
Attached Thumbnails
"Shavers"-img_1420.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Joel, this reminds me of the perennial question that professional photographers get:

Q: What's the best camera?

A: The one you have with you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or the question often asked, "Is such and such a lens sharp?" to which old stagers often reply, "Sharp enough!"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➡️
Or the question often asked, "Is such and such a lens sharp?" to which old stagers often reply, "Sharp enough!"
Or, ‘if I drop it on ground and you pick up a piece…yes, it will cut you’ !
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
we refer to the md-441 as a shaver here...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
we refer to the md-441 as a shaver here...
Be careful….do you really want to encourage Braun to start selling microphones ?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Be careful….do you really want to encourage Braun to start selling microphones ?
as long as they are using beyer, schoeps, neuheiser etc. oem parts, why not? i already have revox-branded beyers, studer-branded schoeps, i had a meazzi-branded sanyo cassette recorder (which was close in design to a shaver - albeit a fairly large one)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Maybe it is a pity they did not. Braun was known for excellent hifi products in the 70s and 80s.
Attached Thumbnails
"Shavers"-braun_tg_1000_tape_recorder_at_the_sfmoma_-6099160894-.jpg   "Shavers"-66135_600x600.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It's so realistic it sounds like a quartet, not a trio.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandodon ➡️
It's so realistic it sounds like a quartet, not a trio.
📝 Reply