The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps MK series Windshield?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Schoeps MK series Windshield?

Hey all - you may have gleamed from my ashen complexion that I'm new to the world of remote recording and so I'll apologize in advance if this is an incredibly basic question.

I happen to own an MK-series Schoeps with a CMC6 body from my other "hobby" and was looking for an ideal windshield/blimp to stuff it in when working outdoors. Wind protection is one consideration but general protection is another. I can't really afford to be replacing or repairing this mic as it's a general workhorse in my other life.

These little Schoeps' seem to get a bit of love in the location-sound world so I was wondering what you all have paired with these mics. In this capacity it would generally be affixed to a boom-pole.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeductiveNeptune ➡️
Hey all - you may have gleamed from my ashen complexion that I'm new to the world of remote recording and so I'll apologize in advance if this is an incredibly basic question.

I happen to own an MK-series Schoeps with a CMC6 body from my other "hobby" and was looking for an ideal windshield/blimp to stuff it in when working outdoors. Wind protection is one consideration but general protection is another. I can't really afford to be replacing or repairing this mic as it's a general workhorse in my other life.

These little Schoeps' seem to get a bit of love in the location-sound world so I was wondering what you all have paired with these mics. In this capacity it would generally be affixed to a boom-pole.
I use a Rycote Nano Shield Kit NS2-CA for similarly-sized mics, and it is the size that Rycote recommend for your mic: if booming your Schoeps, you won't get a better size/weight to wind protection ratio.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 ➡️
I use a Rycote Nano Shield Kit NS2-CA for similarly-sized mics
Thanks! Didn't even know that this existed. Cheers!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Schoeps get lots of love in both th location dialog recording and music recording worlds. I have Rycote zeps with windrats for mine. For any serious wind you need protect the whole mic body and the connector--small windscreens are for light breezes only.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
Schoeps get lots of love in both th location dialog recording and music recording worlds. I have Rycote zeps with windrats for mine. For any serious wind you need protect the whole mic body and the connector--small windscreens are for light breezes only.
I think, Philper, your observations were meant generally. But just to clarify in case there is confusion, the Nano Shields are full blimps, and very good for booming (so light and compact, with no loss of performance). Of larger blimps I find the Rode Mk 1 blimp v flexible, as it can accommodate MS and double MS, but it isn't the greatest on the end of a long boom pole for recording film dialogue.

Cheers,

Roland
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
...the Nano Shields are full blimps, and very good for booming ... the Rode Mk 1 blimp ... isn't the greatest on the end of a long boom pole for recording film dialogue.
Is size/weight the only real issue with regards to the larger Rode Mk 1 blimp?

I'm not too familiar with differences in performance between different sizes/makes. The Nano Shield would seem to be the most ideal for a mic the size of my Schoeps. Would it be sufficient to address Philpers concerns vis-a-vis wind interference?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeductiveNeptune ➡️
Is size/weight the only real issue with regards to the larger Rode Mk 1 blimp?

I'm not too familiar with differences in performance between different sizes/makes. The Nano Shield would seem to be the most ideal for a mic the size of my Schoeps. Would it be sufficient to address Philpers concerns vis-a-vis wind interference?
The Nano Shield performs similarly to most other full blimps/Zeppelins/windshields, and all these are - as Philper said - different from types of wind protection that don't encompass the whole mic (e.g. softies, ball gags etc.). So, yes, if you want a really good but compact blimp for your Schoeps, then the NS2-CA is just the ticket: not cheap, though.

The Nano Shields also have switchable low-cut filters (80Hz as standard; other frequencies on request), which can be useful if your mic doesn't have one: if you haven't already got the Schoeps Cut 60 then this would be very useful if booming (I'm assuming you are handling and moving the boom for film dialogue or effects recording).

There are other Rycote full windshields too (modular and, better, Cyclone models) and Cinela windshields are very well regarded (not used one personally).

Cheers,

Roland
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The Nano Shield performs similarly to most other full blimps/Zeppelins/windshields, and all these are - as Philper said - different from types of wind protection that don't encompass the whole mic (e.g. softies, ball gags etc.). So, yes, if you want a really good but compact blimp for your Schoeps, then the NS2-CA is just the ticket: not cheap, though.

The Nano Shields also have switchable low-cut filters (80Hz as standard; other frequencies on request), which can be useful if your mic doesn't have one: if you haven't already got the Schoeps Cut 60 then this would be very useful if booming (I'm assuming you are handling and moving the boom for film dialogue or effects recording).

There are other Rycote full windshields too (modular and, better, Cyclone models) and Cinela windshields are very well regarded (not used one personally).

Cheers,

Roland
Very informative, cheers and thanks for the help!
📝 Reply