The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sydney Opera House …acoustics upgrade
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sydney Opera House …acoustics upgrade

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-...tion/101237496

For those fortunate enough to find yourself recording in this venue….you’ll experience working in an acoustic which has been recently upgraded to suit the expectations of musicians.

Often this sort of work is done for the audience’s benefit… but I applaud their priorities and reasoning here: if players are rewarded by a suitably supportive and enriching acoustic, surely their playing will be similarly enhanced ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Very cool & Thanks for posting.

In the article, the Sydney Opera House CEO is quoted as saying: "Musicians across the world dream of playing here but all too often the experience has fallen short of expectations — with this upgrade we have corrected that imbalance."

Was there really an acoustics problem prior to renovations? I had only heard good things. The main acoustic upgrade seems to be "18 acoustic reflectors and diffusers to improve sound", which appear to be above the stage, unless they also did other things that I missed.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i've only mixed very few amplified shows in the sydney opera house which were okay-ish in terms of acoustics - for which i won't blame anyone though 'cause none of the modern, large concert halls were designed with heavy amplification in mind.

i did hear from musicians who played acoustic music in there that some of them didn't like the acoustics on stage much - looking at the pics, i can't see much of a change but then, i neither recall things exactly from earlier days nor can i know to what extent the new pannels cure precisely the issues some musicians complained about.

i would assume though that the acoustic upgrade was done after consulting some smart folks and bright minds plus an experienced acoustician/contractor?!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For those interested, here are interviews with key personnel involved with and conducting within the ‘improved Sydney Opera House Concert Hall’ ….it’s not a completed process, there’s tuneability for various ensemble sizes…and lots more gems from acousticians here: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...g-sso/13969668
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…