The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Piano Mic Placement Samples
Old 6th July 2022
Piano Mic Placement Samples

I see many piano mic shootouts, and even a few piano stereo array shootouts, but strangely no mic placement shootouts (which often matters more to my ears).

I wonder if any of you know of samples of different mic placements on a grand piano. It's on my list to make some, but I don't play and never seem to get `extra pianist time'. But I see many great mic shootouts on piano here---surely someone has moved the mics around while recording?

The best I know of is the Shoeps Sample Player, which has 4 different types of stereo array in different locations around a grand (click 'ensemble' and change it to 'piano' in the menu). Maybe not ideal for understanding placements, as each sample changes both placement and stereo array and mics:

https://schoeps.de/en/knowledge/sample-player.html
Old 7th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can provide samples of simultaneous recording of 2 pairs of mics....(1) always AB KM183 omni 3.5m above stage and 3-4m from piano, and (2) Decca Tail pair 1.5-2m from rear leg of piano, with either MKH8020, OM-1 or NT-45 (all omni), if that would be of interest ?

I should be able to LUFS balance the two pairs, so comparisons are easier.

However, I don't have recordings where the mic brand/model are identical for both pairs, if that's specifically what you're seeking
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessitura ➡️
I see many piano mic shootouts, and even a few piano stereo array shootouts, but strangely no mic placement shootouts (which often matters more to my ears).
Sound on Sound did what you want back in 2008. This might still have the sound files associated with it, if not you can probably find them if you search. As I recall, they were quite informative sound samples.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessitura ➡️

I wonder if any of you know of samples of different mic placements on a grand piano. It's on my list to make some, but I don't play and never seem to get `extra pianist time'. But I see many great mic shootouts on piano here---surely someone has moved the mics around while recording?

The best I know of is the Shoeps Sample Player, which has 4 different types of stereo array in different locations around a grand (click 'ensemble' and change it to 'piano' in the menu). Maybe not ideal for understanding placements, as each sample changes both placement and stereo array and mics:

https://schoeps.de/en/knowledge/sample-player.html
There are some excellent samples here for multiple instruments. http://soundmedia.jp/nuaudk/11Hn/index.html
📝 Reply