The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The drama of unveiling the final product... vs. today
Old 5th July 2022
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The drama of unveiling the final product... vs. today

In the downtime between gigs, I inevitably wonder about my forebears... someone was spinning the camera's handle crank to film all those Charlie Chaplin movies, supposedly you kept it at 18 frames/second by humming some popular tune of the day. Fast forward to my free-standing Canon 90-D that runs itself-- not just turning its own crank, but focussing and adjusting the exposure, and oh yeah stereo audio, automatic or manual...

But what I really think about is the "unveiling"-- their first experience of that magical comedy goofballness was in seeing the rushes, everyone would gather 'round... well, a long time ago, it became possible to send snippets of a concert to the music director later the same night the concert had happened. That was great in every way-- they could immediately glory in it & share it far and wide... and best if it's just a sweet little spectacular nugget.

So what were once vices are now habits and forwarding stills of a show and choice audio moments are customary if not mandatory, so the idea of one big dramatic moment of unveiling where you truly immerse the client/customer/producer in the ecstasy of the product... has something been lost?
Old 5th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To paraphrase 'The Sounds of Music' - every time a door is closed, somewhere a window opens.
Old 5th July 2022
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i guess this depends on the scale of production, the producer's sense of drama and maybe also on the age group?

[my 14 year old godchild would be severely disappointed to watch the recording of the performances of her children's circus on a laptop: i make some extra effort with a surround setup, beamer, screen, darkened living room, invitation of friends, family, half the neighborhood and of course the whole children's circus, apéro beforehand, cake afterwards, party until late at night etc.]
Old 6th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
On handcrank cameras the rule was "two turns a second", which more or less got you to 16 fps. When shooting newsreels cameramen would sometimes speed up or slow down the turns slightly to compensate for changes in the exposure due to cloud cover etc..

When I started in the movie biz going to dailies was a requirement for nearly all of the crew (even newbie grips like me). You learned immediately (and in front of everyone) if your tricks and techniques had worked. It was a wonderful thing (usually)--it made everyone feel like they understood what the director et al were trying do and that you were part of it. Applause for great dolly moves, focus pulls, lighting and grip cues, prop action, pyro etc etc was common, and wonderful. Something was very definitely lost when "dailies" became "playback" on the set (when they did it), usually occurring in a private tent with just the folks at the top of the call sheet allowed in.
Old 6th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
….So what were once vices are now habits and forwarding stills of a show and choice audio moments are customary if not mandatory, so the idea of one big dramatic moment of unveiling where you truly immerse the client/customer/producer in the ecstasy of the product... has something been lost?
The only drama card you can really hold is time….the delay in how long (you/they) wait before the unveiling, even if it’s just a choice snippet.

Too short and you’re just conforming to the 21st C miracle/malaise of instant delivery….too long and they start having doubts as to whether you’re having trouble delivering the deliverables.

Somewhere in between (slightly later rather than earlier…) is the sweet spot of ripening anticipation and unveiling of the minor miracle that they’ve engaged you to pull off with elan and aplomb….milk that melting moment Joel !

It differentiates you as the Artisan….rather than the Amazonwarehouse !

Last edited by studer58; 6th July 2022 at 06:52 AM..
Old 6th July 2022
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sage advice... gotcha.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
To paraphrase 'The Sounds of Music' - every time a door is closed, somewhere a window opens.
I always found that movie overoptimistic. A window is a poor substitute for a door. I tried climbing in the window of my house. My neighbor saw my butt going in and called the cops.
📝 Reply