The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Merging sells to Sennheiser
Old 5th July 2022
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Merging sells to Sennheiser

The great Claude Cellier has sold Merging Technologies (Pyramix) to Sennheiser.

Neumann will now operate Merging.

From the press release:
Neumann.Berlin and Merging Technologies are a perfect match, and the collaboration opens up new opportunities for both parties," adds Claude Cellier, founder and CEO of Merging Technologies. "Both companies share a passion for excellence and a commitment to always set new standards in audio." The existing portfolio of the two companies will remain unchanged. The first joint product of the partnership between Neumann.Berlin and Merging Technologies will be a Neumann audio interface that enables the perfect integration of Neumann products into a digital infrastructure.

I have corresponded with Claude Cellier this AM.

Last edited by Plush; 5th July 2022 at 02:07 PM..
Old 5th July 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Maybe they will insist on Merging hardware joining the Dante network.

Hahahahah.

D.
Old 5th July 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Don't know what to think about it. Following the trend of big players buying innovative companies to make their own multiverse. I mean, from the Sennheiser perspective, merging is a great fit to the Neumann range - same brand values, both strong in broadcast, at least both are considered of the highest values.

Waited on pulling the trigger on an HAPI or Anubis, hope that quality remains while integration will get much more easier. Than I'm happy for customers and Merging.
Old 5th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Yup. Neumann always listens to their customers... eventually. Hopefully they won't take as long to do this as they did to reissue the U67!

Seriously, though, this does seem like a very good match. Neumann and Merging Technologies are both excellent brands and, despite some hickups, I think Sennheiser has done a good job of maintaining the Neumann lustre in our modern era. (Thank goodness Merging didn't join Harman!)
Old 5th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
(Thank goodness Merging didn't join Harman!)
+10000!

I sure hope Neumann benefits from some of Merging's software expertise. Neumann are good in the hardware department but absolutely bottom of the barrel when it comes to software (based on my experience trying to use their various apps for monitors with DSP such as the KH-80).
Old 5th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
neuheiser could desperately need some digital expertise (and merging a more broad platform) so i see this as a good fit - i'm glad merging didn't get sold to evil b!

p.s. at this point - actually since harman got sold to samsung a few years ago - i can't think of anyone who'd be selling to harman?! luckily, studer could escape (which will negatively affect soundcraft, lexicon, bss etc. though)....
Old 5th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Claude thinking about retirement perhaps. What a career and huge contribution his expertise and team has brought to pro audio. Hope things stay the same for a while. No doubt he was well rewarded.

I read somewhere the first release will be a Neumann branded Anubis with USB. Not sure what to think of that. Anubis seemed to catapult Merging into the limelight and bedrooms.
Old 6th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Claude thinking about retirement perhaps. What a career and huge contribution his expertise and team has brought to pro audio. Hope things stay the same for a while. No doubt he was well rewarded.

I read somewhere the first release will be a Neumann branded Anubis with USB. Not sure what to think of that. Anubis seemed to catapult Merging into the limelight and bedrooms.
These days most people have laptops and most laptops don't have physical Ethernet. USB Audio Class 2 is quite capable of doing DXD or DSD and was finally supported natively in Windows in 2017 thus there doesn't seem to be a downside to producing a USB based product.
Old 6th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
USB eh….Anubis for newbie’s ?

The litmus test for any Merger (ha !) is how prompt and attentive your service/support enquiry is dealt with now …vs 12 months hence.

That’s often the metric of how much ‘autonomy’ the consortium actually permits the newcomer to exercise...despite any blue-sky promises made on smiling-signatures/acquisition-announcement day

Last edited by studer58; 6th July 2022 at 06:55 AM..
Old 8th July 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe the Dante Anubis will come to be.
As Hugh Robjohns pointed out, the ZMAN is pin compatible with the Brooklyn II. So, physically, it would be easily adaptable.
Old 8th July 2022
Lives for gear

A day will come when the entire industry will be consolidated down to a few giant corporations, and I would sooner have a company that I respect like Merging be bought out by Neumann than by the alternatives like Harman or EVI.... err.. I mean Bosch.
--scott
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Maybe the Dante Anubis will come to be.
As Hugh Robjohns pointed out, the ZMAN is pin compatible with the Brooklyn II. So, physically, it would be easily adaptable.
Although Brooklyn II is now unobtainium but Audinate claim Brooklyn III is pin compatible.

https://www.audinate.com/news/press-...-infocomm-2022
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Please don't forget how small our audio-world is.

To compare Sennheiser with Samsung is disproportionate. Sennheiser is still a family owned corporation, they sold their consumer-audio branch a year or so ago - exactly the opposite of what Harman/Samsung does. So Sennheiser isn't any longer occupied by offering >= 1.345.566 new headphone models every year.

If Sennheiser wouldn't have acquired Neumann, Neumann wouldn't exist anymore or they would have been sold to a huge corporation like Harman and then to Samsung and we could buy low quality chinese made U87 in all colors you could think off with a huge Neumann-badge for 199,-.

Sennheiser was going through hard times in recent years and just when they reached a kind of economic recovery, Covid hit and live-music - very important for Sennheiser - was put on halt.

I suppose that the Sennheiser/Neumann managers aren't at risk of poverty, but it is hard to make a profit and pay your workers a halfway fair wage even with Neumann mics and the prices, we pay for them.
They are as far from being Elon Musk as from planet Mars.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From Audio Technology magazine :

https://www.audiotechnology.com/news/merging-takeover
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dante died in Ravenna.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

By the way. In my view AVB could be the real pro audio network.
https://avnu.org/Milan/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
"Take my posts with a grain of salt."

Okay.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
"Take my posts with a grain of salt."

Okay.

D.
Yeah....not around here... Here there is Dante, analog and....nothing.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar ➡️
Dante died in Ravenna.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

By the way. In my view AVB could be the real pro audio network.
https://avnu.org/Milan/
This has been discussed at length:

For point to point maybe there's now MOTU, AVID and RME making interfaces.

However for large scale networks outside of some special niches AVB is going nowhere due to lack of switch support for it at reasonable prices.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are many AVB capable switches.
https://support.biamp.com/Tesira/AVB...ernet_switches

Every AoE solution has its advantages and disadvantages. There are places you need Audio over IP. But always when I can avoid that I prefer Audio over Ethernet because it is a defined closed system and safe. Maybe that ids the reason why it is popular in public address installations.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
But back to topic.

Neumann shows a good development in. what they do. It will be very interesting how that affects the Merging line.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️

For many users this will be a dream come true - as long as the USB-Drivers are not generic and performing properly.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar ➡️
Neumann shows a good development in what they do.
depends on field of expertise: they abandoned digital mics, soon will no longer support/service them and the dsp control of their newish subwoofer is beyond being ridiculous - NOT a 'good development' in my view...

lack of interoperability and lack of (what i consider to be) meaningful longterm support of older products was the reason why i stopped using merging years ago...

...so i'm not exactly sure what to expect from this collaboration?! if it's a newish interface, it's all about the drivers - an area in which both manufacturers imo did not exactly shine.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
depends on field of expertise: they abandoned digital mics, soon will no longer support/service them and the dsp control of their newish subwoofer is beyond being ridiculous - NOT a 'good development' in my view...

lack of interoperability and lack of (what i consider to be) meaningful longterm support of older products was the reason why i stopped using merging years ago...

...so i'm not exactly sure what to expect from this collaboration?! if it's a newish interface, it's all about the drivers - an area in which both manufacturers imo did not exactly shine.
Thanks for this information! Very useful for me.
📝 Reply