The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hearing more and more terrible self recordings on the WWW
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef ➡️
Same thing happens here in the US. There is so much evidence that arts education leads to better outcomes across the board, but it gets ignored, because there’s a prevailing assumption that anything kids might actually enjoy and get excited about is ipso facto a retreat from excellence; they must be punished into achievement (especially if they’re not white and wealthy), so goodbye clarinets and paintbrushes.
in this case the headteacher is a black man, so it's not about race, it is about class though.
Old 2 weeks ago
RPC
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Regarding the CD vs. file debate...I recently had a discussion with one of my clients (youth orchestra) about this very issue. The conclusion we reached was to keep selling CDs. The main reason is financial. Little Johnny's parents are interested in a good recording of little Johnny. If you offer tracks for download, they'll pay a buck a track for the three pieces Johnny played (or just copy them from another parent in the ensemble). If you only offer a CD for twenty bucks, they'll purchase the CD. In the latter case, there's enough revenue to pay for my services plus make some money for the client. In the former, the whole thing collapses financially - the only way to make recordings of the quality they've come to expect would be to raise tuition.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick ➡️
As an example of adapting or spreading workload, whatever:

https://youtu.be/xUjrRPmpYKw

this was part of a three session (spread in time) CD recording, which was also filmed. To reduce costs I actually rented out our complete video setup to the musician, the event was filmed by the daughter of the soloist.

So, by all accounts, this promo clip is made by an amateur. They will also release the full "concert" versions on Youtube (later, as we now have the cd release), which amounts to weeks of editing video on the audio sessions. Unpayable for a self-funded project.

IMO this defeats A LOT of rigid arguments in this thread.
1. leave it to the pros
2. only the BEST matters
3. only well-funded ensembles should do this (this project being funded by the soloist)
4. hidden between the lines : only amateurs make junk

A couple of answers to these from myself:

1. of course we did the audio (of the music), but did we insist working only with a pro videocrew ? Hell no, I agree, MOST of them are overpriced 3-4x ! There was not even budget for our "normal" fee.
2. nope - for this kind of production, I do not care if it was 8 cam or 4 cam, 1 manned or 4 manned, or if the audio of the interview is sometimes a bit off. I would mind, however, if it was shot by a pro for 18K ...
3. no - because this will be a brilliant piccolo concerto CD, with great/new music which would never have been released. Moreover, the music would not have been written !
4. I have seen plenty of professional Youtube vids which have big issues as well - maybe this forum would be more productive to concentrate on that - much more relevant - problem. But, we cannot attack our beloved colleagues, can't we ?
If for one, have really big issues with the Berliner Digital Concert Hall. It is "perfect". I cannot listen to it for more than a minute. It has nothing to do with how music works. It is a total sell-out to the I want to hear everything next to me crowd. Last time I checked it was even severely crippled dynamically, even in the higher res version.

So, making threads about terrible self recordings on the WWW has ZERO relevance for us, professionals. They would not have been work for us. They should make us appear MORE relevant, unless we do a half-assed job ourselves.

Some flexibility, and the willingness to help out and work together can get you a lot further, unless you only want to be and do "the best". In that case, you can remain locked up in the ivory tower.

In the mean time, some of us will keep doing "our best", which is most often "good enough" and sometimes (as in the above CD) surpasses "the best" by some, on more than 1 level.
I mean no offence but there are nothing but inferences in your post and having read all the posts I believe said inferences do not accurately define any of the positions I have read, though if you have particular quotes that word for word reflect what some others have posted I would certainly like to see them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
Anyone care to speculate why there's such differing experiences right now regarding CDs? - there seems to be little middle ground; some are saying they are asked to supply CDs on almost every job, and the rest say they can't remember the last time they were.
Have you tried buying a decent CD player these days? Almost impossible in Australia at least.

I still buy and listen to them and have a couple of players (ready to flog second hand for a huge markup).

But for promotion of a concert or chamber ensemble, sending a reasonably good video (but excellent audio) recording clip link to a grants committee who will then forward and share and posting on FB or Twitter, you just cannot compare the effectiveness of that to printing a few CD's and handing them out. By all means sell CD's at the concert, but to get people to go to the concert and "follow" the group, you can't beat YT.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Blue Ray and DVD players still readily available, and make excellent CD players.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Have you tried buying a decent CD player these days? Almost impossible in Australia at least.
tascam just released a new cd-writer, no kidding!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Blue Ray and DVD players still readily available, and make excellent CD players.
…..and at generally far lower price than a standalone CD player too !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
My now-ancient Tascam CD-RW4U is still working flawlessly; never a hiccup. Doubles as a stand-alone CDRW recorder, and an external USB burner. One of my favorite features is that, unlike most CD/DVD/BluRay palyers, it has a (actually pretty good) headphone amp in it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Try skipping through a 30 minute track to find the right passage…
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
My now-ancient Tascam CD-RW4U is still working flawlessly; never a hiccup.
excellent! - i'm still occasionally using my dv-ra1000 for redundant recording of my 2mix onto cd-r or dvd-rw on location, occasionally as adda converter in my studio and rather rarely for dsd recording/playback...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My 17 year old, Jim Williams modded, Master Link still works and sounds as well as it did as when it was new. IMO it is the best and certainly least prone to obsolescence than any device Alesis ever offered.
Hugh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
I am talking about recordings of regional or local symphonies done on an Iphone or IPad not someone's recording of an acapella group doing something in a room. People can record all they want of themselves and friends but when it comes to a professional or semi professional classical ensemble or solo artist then "please don't ruin it by having some amateur record it with their phone and posting it on the WWW"

That was my reason for posting this...
I think in this case people love to be in the room and see their kids play. Or have a night out and feel the orchestra in the room. Even a pro orchestra. Great - it sounds great in the room. But do they need to capture every attempt at this or that orchestral piece? When their performances are already just attempts at their best rehearsals. When people return to a recorded medium to revisit the event. They are returning to it like they would a video of their dog… it’s a memory. And memories now to people feel like phone recordings a cause that’s where the other ones go. It’s not to basque in the glory of Beethoven. If it was they’d put on some classic amazing version with this or that conductor. It’s not to revisit the under 18 Cleveland heights kids who’d rather themselves be on fruity loops making the kick knock. I went to the Oberlin Con as I see you are in that area. And classical music for me at least is really about being in the room. And capturing it as a memory with your other memories seems natural. Even if it’s the band director capturing it for their archive - it not the best effort but it’s proportional to how much anyone actually cares.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
TASCAM Announces the CD-RW900SX CD Recorder/Player
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️

I still buy and listen to them and have a couple of players (ready to flog second hand for a huge markup).

But for promotion of a concert or chamber ensemble, sending a reasonably good video (but excellent audio) recording clip link to a grants committee who will then forward and share and posting on FB or Twitter, you just cannot compare the effectiveness of that to printing a few CD's and handing them out. By all means sell CD's at the concert, but to get people to go to the concert and "follow" the group, you can't beat YT.
I recommend the truly excellent QUAD Electroacoustics cd players.
One model in use here is the ARTERA PLAY, a cd player and preamplifier combination. ARCAM also makes excellent cd players. Both of those companies are English hi-fi makers. These players extract the most out of the 16 bit medium.

https://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/artera-play-2/

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2N1q3k...EaAv-uEALw_wcB
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes I saw some for $49.95 at the supermarket.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
I recommend the truly excellent QUAD Electroacoustics cd players.
One model in use here is the ARTERA PLAY, a cd player and preamplifier combination. ARCAM also makes excellent cd players. Both of those companies are English hi-fi makers. These players extract the most out of the 16 bit medium.

https://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/artera-play-2/

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2N1q3k...EaAv-uEALw_wcB
This place also has a good selection of CD players at some reasonable prices https://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=5 FWIW
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anyone care to speculate why there's such differing experiences right now regarding CDs? - there seems to be little middle ground; some are saying they are asked to supply CDs on almost every job, and the rest say they can't remember the last time they were.
FWIW, at the showcase venue I mix for, I'm seeing people start to include flash drives in their merch. I asked last night's artist about it and he said he gets 128mb drives (big enough for mp3's but not WAV's) with CMYK printing for $2.70 apiece in quantities of 100. He had some further packaging that added to the cost (and the PITA), but it couldn't have been that much. He includes the CD "booklet" on the drive. Last night, it looked like he sold quite a few.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
We are still using CDs for clients. About 20 per month. FWIW
Also clients are wanting USB Thumb drives for their MP3s. So we keep a few in stock.
B88
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
FWIW, at the showcase venue I mix for, I'm seeing people start to include flash drives in their merch. I asked last night's artist about it and he said he gets 128mb drives (big enough for mp3's but not WAV's) with CMYK printing for $2.70 apiece in quantities of 100. He had some further packaging that added to the cost (and the PITA), but it couldn't have been that much. He includes the CD "booklet" on the drive. Last night, it looked like he sold quite a few.
I tried to get some of my friends who have a group to do this. They wanted CDs. I'm okay with CDs, but I feel they are out of touch with how many like memory sticks. Having both isn't too big a deal, and see which sells the best if you eventually want only one. They are thinking of people liking the physical item they purchase and keeping the CD. From what I see that isn't the norm for consuming music anymore.
Gear Head

Quote:
sure - but there is such a thing as 'critical listening' which lets you assess things in a somewhat more informed way; needs to get practiced gor years if not decades...

'mumble rap'?! - good lord, what's next?

[in terms of intelligibility, it's probably not much different from 'screamers' in the metal genre: one cannot understand a word... - not really a desireable thing.]

youth culture has a lot to do with distinction - that's not a new phenomenon.

well, serious musicians cite other reasons for their preferences: humbuckers vs single coil, scale length, neck shape, tremolo etc.

___

short: imo you're on the wrong track as social distinction alone cannot explain a technically measurable difference!
"serious musicians"

oh boy...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcastiella ➡️
"serious musicians"

oh boy...
yep, serious musicians, no blenders or wannabes! - looks like you haven't noticed the core statement though (which was 'hidden' in the second part of my post)...

Quote:
serious musicians cite other reasons for their preferences

...but i think we're done with articulation difficulties raised to the level of artistry!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrateaudio ➡️
..., even though the Les Paul may well be a much better guitar that stays in tune better.
That shows you know F*** all about gibson LPs.

If there is 1 guitar that is infamous for NOT staying in tune, it's the gibson LP ! They are notoriously built like crap.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ deedeeyeah "folk" (think any Blues player with "Mississippi" or any other state as a stage surname on a Folkways comp) and "punk" would like a word with ya re: articulation difficulties to the point of artistry.
📝 Reply