The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mid/side - favored for HF content?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mid/side - favored for HF content?

So after a long time I'm finally playing around with a mid-side main pair more, on small ensembles. Recently mostly strings, which of course have a lot more interesting hair and high frequency content than, eg., a brass ensemble.

Not to say I don't like a good spaced pair. But man, there is something particularly satisfying to me about the phase coherence of M/S on string quartets. I've been using MKH30 with 4011, MK5 (card), 4006TL, depending on situation. Which got me thinking, is it perhaps all the HF information that might lean me or another person in favor of a coincident technique? For something like piano or brass, with very little true interesting HF, perhaps mixing up a lot of spots and spaced main pairs works fine, and we can enjoy a nice time delay without distraction.

So is it a spectrum thing? Any opinions as to whether there's anything to this hunch?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd dispute that brass and woodwinds doesn't have extended HF...'interesting' or otherwise. The harmonics of brass extend into the stratosphere, at least on-axis to the bell....it's no coincidence that ribbon mics, with their curtailed HF response, are often touted as being an ideal complementary mic for brass. You rarely hear the same said for strings and ribbons. Imagine if string instruments had valves.....https://www.earmaster.com/music-theo...apter-4-6.html

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 05:10 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
from comparing coincident vs spaced techniques (both stereo and surround) on a percussion ensembles, i've come to the conclusion that prefering the former is about arrival times and transient behaviour (which more easily can get perceived in the hf range).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When brass play perfectly in tune and balanced, there is a silvery layer of overtones which are audible, to be poetic, a sort angelic choir. This does not happen very often!!!! But is most noticeable when it does.

I've heard it occasionally when brass plays out of doors, when it does happen its audibility is possibly due to the absence of reverberation, I've yet to hear it on a recording. I would imagine that spot mics with too much level don't help in its capture (although they help in other ways).

Transients are always important, but in brass recording they take second place to frequency in recreating the main elements of a vibrant sound, and because of the nature of brass transients, frequency also plays a role of increased importance in location - or so I find.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 2 weeks ago at 03:10 PM.. Reason: or so I find.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Brass and Choirs when playing and singing well can sound extrodinairy outside
Used to great effect by the early Methodists and Unions in the UK.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➡️
Brass and Choirs when playing and singing well can sound extrodinairy outside
Used to great effect by the early Methodists and Unions in the UK.
And the Salvation Army!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➡️
And the Salvation Army!
In England the Salvation Army groups sound good? Just another thing that didn’t seem to cross the pond intact.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
In England the Salvation Army groups sound good? Just another thing that didn’t seem to cross the pond intact.
I think it depends on which one you listen to.

For example, the current, and two previous, prnciple trumpeters at the London Symphony Orchestra all grew up in Salvationist bands. I think it could be argued that the principle trumpet of the LSO is THE most coveted orchestral brass seat in the world? If not the most, then certainly top tier...

Listen to any recording of the 'International Staff Band'. It'll blow you away.
📝 Reply