The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
You might enjoy this from 50 years ago...Recorded on a REVOX A77
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape ➡️
No one is questioning those good mics but if you cant hear the ugly comb filtering effect in the '72 Oberlin recording (caused by who knows what) you might have a short listen to this Pete Seeger concert of '68 in Sweden. To my ears, significantly better. Clear, high fidelity live mono recording.

https://youtu.be/DUPdqcaILl8
What is it that you are trying to prove? That I somehow did a multitrack tape and mixed it down later and fuc$ed up the mixdown? Nothing could be further from the truth but you seem to imply that is what happen.

I am saying it was a simple stereo recording using two microphones. If there is "phasing" it was probably due to the two microphones interacting and me not following closely the rules of three. It was a live commencement concert before 3000 + people. It was a hot Memorial Day. I used what I had to work with. I set up the two mics before the commencement. I had little control over them after that.

Do you know how the concert in Sweden was recorded? Or if it was a college's commencement? You are comparing something that was probably in a concert setting to something that was recorded at a college's commencement. Not sure what your motives are...but I sense you are trying to downgrade the recording I did for some strange reason.

If you don't like my recording - my suggestion is to not listen to it.

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 4 weeks ago at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thomas - once again, thank you for sharing this recording. It was great to hear some live Pete! It's a fine recording, and I'm sorry you had to deal with the peanut gallery.
Super Moderator

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
What is it that you are trying to prove? That I somehow did a multitrack tape and mixed it down later and fuc$ed up the mixdown? Nothing could be further from the truth but you seem to imply that is what happen.

I am saying it was a simple stereo recording using two microphones. If there is "phasing" it was probably due to the two microphones interacting and me not following closely the rules of three. It was a live commencement concert before 3000 + people. It was a hot Memorial Day. I used what I had to work with. I set up the two mics before the commencement. I had little control over them after that.

Do you know how the concert in Sweden was recorded? Or if it was a college's commencement? You are comparing something that was probably in a concert setting to something that was recorded at a college's commencement. Not sure what your motives are...but I sense you are trying to downgrade the recording I did for some strange reason.

If you don't like my recording - my suggestion is to not listen to it.
I wouldn't bother engaging with this individual.

I plan to be talking to the GS folks on the other side of the pond sometime over the next couple of days on another matter. I will make sure I bring up your concerns.

We shall definitely address this one way or another. Hang in there, man!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

...I am saying it was a simple stereo recording using two microphones. If there is "phasing" it was probably due to the two microphones interacting and me not following closely the rules of three. It was a live commencement concert before 3000 + people. It was a hot Memorial Day. I used what I had to work with. I set up the two mics before the commencement. I had little control over them after that...
Yes, you did the best you could. The comb filtering may be out of your control. There may have been nothing you could have done to avoid it in that situation.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU!!! to all the people who posted positive comments about the recording.

It is much appreciated.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU!!! to all the people who posted positive comments about the recording.

It is much appreciated.
Thanks for inviting us along on that wonderful audio time travel, back to a different era, in high fidelity ! Do you have any more hidden audio gems, sitting in your tape archive awaiting re-discovery, that you might consider sharing here ?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Thanks for inviting us along on that wonderful audio time travel, back to a different era, in high fidelity ! Do you have any more hidden audio gems, sitting in your tape archive awaiting re-discovery, that you might consider sharing here ?
You are welcome...

After all the nit picking and constant negative comments from a certain member of this forum probably not. If his comments were at all constructive maybe I would think differently.

Most of the people on this forum are very nice people with comments and suggestion that help me greatly but there always has to be one person who ruins it for everyone else.

Sorry!
📝 Reply