The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need urgent help
Old 27th May 2022
Here for the gear

Need urgent help

So I need to record 2 mics on separate audio files using the tascam dr-40x just wondering if this is possible? So we're recording a stage play but I need one mic to the left of the stage and one to the right but all recording the same time.
Old 27th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
According to page 29 of the reference manual, this is not possible.

There are two mono modes: INT MONO (which records a mono file using the two internal microphones) or EXT IN 1 (which records the left external input in mono).

All of the other options are stereo, presumably saved to one interleaved stereo file (I don't own this recorder, I simply downloaded the reference manual from Tascam's site). I don't see any way to get two mono files, one for the left input and one for the right input.
Old 28th May 2022
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Record as normal and then in post split the files into mono files. Pan as needed.
Old 28th May 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Would Sound Devices Wave Agent help you? You can use this app to break interleaved files into separate wav files.

https://www.sounddevices.com/product...gent-software/

D.
Old 28th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Free Audacity also does this, with a couple of clicks.

Click the down arrow next to the name of the track, then select "Split Stereo Track":
Attached Thumbnails
Need urgent help-aud.png  
Old 28th May 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINUBEII ➡️
So I need to record 2 mics on separate audio files using the tascam dr-40x just wondering if this is possible? So we're recording a stage play but I need one mic to the left of the stage and one to the right but all recording the same time.
REC MODE: Stereo
SOURCE: EXT INDEP.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Would Sound Devices Wave Agent help you? You can use this app to break interleaved files into separate wav files.

https://www.sounddevices.com/product...gent-software/

D.
Yes Wave Agent can do this. It’s free and can do this as a batch process. It also has a simple audio file player-where any or all audio tracks contained within a single mono, stereo or polywave file can be played, with L or C or R panning/Mute/Solo and fader for each track within a stereo/polywave. It’s much easier to use than having to open a DAW and split into mono files to check out
which track is which, audition a quickie mix, and is very helpful in guiding the splitting decisions for a polwave.
(eg when I need to split out a quad B-format file plus various stereo and mono files from a single polywave).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What's happened to the OP - not so urgent after all?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Guess he got his information and went on about his day. We deliver answers with a smile, no?

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Indeedy-do.
📝 Reply