The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I received 3 kinds of string tracks(Decca Tree/AB/separate tracks),how to choose when mixing?
Old 25th May 2022
Gear Head

I received 3 kinds of string tracks(Decca Tree/AB/separate tracks),how to choose when mixing?

here are the tracks name:
ST Decca Tree L 2_01/ST Decca Tree M 2_01/ST Decca Tree R 2_01
ST Decca Tree_24 L/ST Decca Tree_24 M/ST Decca Tree_24 R
String A B 1_24/String A B 2_01
VA 1_24/VA 2_01/VC 1_24/VC 2_01/VI 1_24/VI 2_01/VII 1_24/VII 2_01

I have some questions:
there are Decca Tree/AB/separate tracks, should I select one of them and mute others? or can i layer them ?
why there are two AB and two group of Decca Trees?(2_01 and 1_24,them sounds almost the same.)
thank u !!
Old 25th May 2022
Lives for gear

You probably need to ask the engineer who recorded the tracks
Old 26th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
Fully agree ! While we can make reasonable guesses at naming conventions it's vital to verify such crucial information to the mix process from the engineer who recorded them.

For all we know, _01 or _24 could mean 'use this set only' or 'scrap these immediately'...or something else entirely ? Redundant...supplementary....essential ?

Ask...to dispel all doubt.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Fully agree ! While we can make reasonable guesses at naming conventions it's vital to verify such crucial information to the mix process from the engineer who recorded them.

For all we know, _01 or _24 could mean 'use this set only' or 'scrap these immediately'...or something else entirely ? Redundant...supplementary....essential ?

Ask...to dispel all doubt.
thank u! I will ask him later about the naming of tracks, but I still don't know should I mute others or i can layer Decca Tree/AB/separate tracks together since it's my first time doing this kind of string mixing and hope to get some professional advice :p
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
thank u! and the same question that i asked studer58:
"should I mute others or i can layer Decca Tree/AB/separate tracks together? "
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
if there are no session notes or at least some pics, you cannot know (from track names alone) whether tracks are supposed to work as alternate or as supplementary tracks...

...unless you can hear/you decide what balance gives you best results; i'd suggest you experiment a bit/get familiar with the tracks (if you haven't already) and then get in touch with the recordist.

anyway, 'm' (for 'middle') mostly likely refers to 'c' so panning should be clear, as well as the stereo (alternate?) pair and individual spots for the string quartet...
Old 26th May 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The 2_01 and 1_24 suffixes look like 2 different takes to me, so perhaps there are fewer mic options that at first appears.
Old 26th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is pretty easy to decipher:
As Adam correctly figured those are two different takes or two different recordings (if the recording is stopped at a point, the number gets appended when it continues to record.)

Decca L, M, R is just the L, C, R mics (why they used "M" instead of "C" is beyond me but I've seen it before) with each being mono.
The String A B is a pair (I'm certain it is a stereo file for both) on the strings. Once again, two takes/clips.
And then you have the spots by instruments, mono all, two takes/clips for each instrument.

Separate the 01 from the 24 and line then up. I bet the file lengths will make it clear which files belong in which group too (unless this was done to the same fixed length -- which would tell you these are takes vs breaks in the recording)
Old 27th May 2022
Lives for gear

Two takes. When I receive tracks like this (where alphabetical order doesn't help), I organize in Finder by file size, and it's super easy to see (except where engineers record both mono and stereo tracks, like they did for you). Here's your track list:

Decca L
Decca C
Decca R
AB Pair
Violin 1 (VI)
Violin 2 (VII)
Viola (VA)
Cello (VC)
Old 27th May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse ➡️
Two takes. When I receive tracks like this (where alphabetical order doesn't help), I organize in Finder by file size, and it's super easy to see (except where engineers record both mono and stereo tracks, like they did for you). Here's your track list:

Decca L
Decca C
Decca R
AB Pair
Violin 1 (VI)
Violin 2 (VII)
Viola (VA)
Cello (VC)
I have group them separatly,but I still wondering should I select one of the three ? for exsample if i use decca version,is that I can't add AB version or I can't add violin 1 on Decca?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix233 ➡️
I have group them separatly,but I still wondering should I select one of the three ? for exsample if i use decca version,is that I can't add AB version or I can't add violin 1 on Decca?
The short answer: you can combine whatever you want to, and it's really common.

The different choices will likely give you different perspectives. The section mics are probably the closest, brightest, and driest. And the AB mics *might* be the most roomy and distant. Personally, I avoid Decca altogether because it delivers a fractured L/C/R perspective, but you may have to mush all the options together to get the sound you are looking for.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse ➡️
The short answer: you can combine whatever you want to, and it's really common.

The different choices will likely give you different perspectives. The section mics are probably the closest, brightest, and driest. And the AB mics *might* be the most roomy and distant. Personally, I avoid Decca altogether because it delivers a fractured L/C/R perspective, but you may have to mush all the options together to get the sound you are looking for.
thank u! this really help me alot!!!
Old 29th May 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
watch this for a good basic explanation:
https://youtu.be/MjBqua79f9g
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…