Old 1st September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Easy. The one that sounds better.

D.
i suggested to my piano tech to bring a chain saw along: i prefer the low register of the old model a but would like to have the high register of the model o! - and it's too bad that the much newer model o costs almost twice as much...

sometimes i hate to have an 'expensive taste'! ;-)
Old 2nd September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not as easy as I thought. :(

There are two Steinway 9-footers in a venue that I record in with regularity. One of them never gets used. Never.

One of these days, I'll get up the nerve to ask a guest pianist why one is universally preferred. (They are both "tech'd by the same guy and neither is beat up)

D.

Last edited by tourtelot; 2nd September 2022 at 06:26 AM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
One of these days, I'll get up the nerve to ask a guest pianist why one is universally preferred. (They are both "tech'd by the same guy and neither is beat up)

D.
Is one Hamburg and another New York Steinway?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have no idea. I know next to nothing about pianos except how to record the one being played.

D.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have no idea. I know next to nothing about pianos except how to record the one being played.

D.
same here - selecting an instrument has been a interesting learning experience though and has once again strengthened my conviction that the room, the instrument, the piano technician and the musician are the most important factors; what we then do as sound techs i consider to be far less important.

what also impresses me again and again is how two different musicians can sound so different on one and the same instrument what is much easier to explain on a guitar or cello than on a grand piano!
Old 7th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:

D.
Instruments particularly piano’s, can vary widely even from the same manufactures. Steinway are fairly consistent, but I remember attending a piano selection with an artist. Steinway legged 6 grands for us, we rejected three in about two minutes, about five minutes in settled on two the artist was happy with and he put it too me to make the final choice. One had a better treble so that was what we went with. Got a five star review from BBC music magazine as I remember, so it was a win.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
too much going on this summer/autumn...

...so there was not always enough time for "schöner wohnen" as the pictures below show exemplarily?! ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
'post pandemic' live mixing, location recording and broadcasting-20221028_164543.jpg   'post pandemic' live mixing, location recording and broadcasting-20221001_130922.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So I get the photo of the equipment truck as an emergency recording vehicle but not the one of the map of the Los Angeles freeway system.

D.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have a new trend...

By this late date I am permanently convinced (and acid-tested) that a pair of Sony D100's, one seven feet infront of an ensemble [a quartet or small chorus, or whatever] and one seven feet back, deliver in spades. The customer is enraptured, that's all I know.

So for a recent concert, that blended piano/viola duets with spoken word, I was informed that perhaps the poets would be wandering to and fro? Around and about? Either side, maybe excessively?

Call me a Sony cheerleader, but the mini-"action"-camera, the Rxo Mark 2, captures really great audio for something as opportunistic and vague as this... you see where I am going... nestled nearly under the frontsward D 100, hardly even there and certainly inconspicuous... someone even asked before the show "Audio only? No video?"

"Nope," I baldly lied. There is a microscopical screen on the back, but it goes dark after a minute of recording and stays that way... certainly doesn't scream "CAMERA!" fur as anyone can tell...

If I got another one, to put on the other side... starkly invisible video capture... now you got me thinking!....
Attached Thumbnails
'post pandemic' live mixing, location recording and broadcasting-mfs-climb-back-singing.jpg  
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
So I get the photo of the equipment truck as an emergency recording vehicle...
correct: i had to start mixing in the van we use to transport gear before all gear was in place.

Quote:
... but not the one of the map of the Los Angeles freeway system.
close, but not quite: the second pic shows cables on the roof of a subway tunnel in the metro of paris from where i would have had to branch off somehow in a hurry?!? - which i refused to do of course!
it took then almost an hour until someone assigned me a connection where i could plug in without risking my life and until a few dozen meters of cable were pulled; still quite an adventurous job in these tunnels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
I have a new trend...

By this late date I am permanently convinced (and acid-tested) that a pair of Sony D100's, one seven feet infront of an ensemble [a quartet or small chorus, or whatever] and one seven feet back, deliver in spades. The customer is enraptured, that's all I know.

So for a recent concert, that blended piano/viola duets with spoken word, I was informed that perhaps the poets would be wandering to and fro? Around and about? Either side, maybe excessively?

Call me a Sony cheerleader, but the mini-"action"-camera, the Rxo Mark 2, captures really great audio for something as opportunistic and vague as this... you see where I am going... nestled nearly under the frontsward D 100, hardly even there and certainly inconspicuous... someone even asked before the show "Audio only? No video?"

"Nope," I baldly lied. There is a microscopical screen on the back, but it goes dark after a minute of recording and stays that way... certainly doesn't scream "CAMERA!" fur as anyone can tell...

If I got another one, to put on the other side... starkly invisible video capture... now you got me thinking!....
sony? - i got but a newish c-100 (mic) and an oldish dmx-r100 (desk); both perform fine but none of them would fit into a small ensemble if low visibility is required - i clearly missed that trend...
Lives for gear

DeeDeeYeah, we did finally take delivery of the new console at school. A bit different in terms of UI and configuration than most other digital mixers I know, but I’m liking it more and more as I get used to it. There is a high frequency whine from its innards which the Studer guys are supposed to take care of during its “commissioning” in a few days or weeks time… that and the talkback not being turned on in the configuration by default are my only real gripes with it.
Attached Thumbnails
'post pandemic' live mixing, location recording and broadcasting-91ebb615-3a3e-4740-aa6b-956c3e4bbbcc.jpeg  
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
DeeDeeYeah, we did finally take delivery of the new console at school. A bit different in terms of UI and configuration than most other digital mixers I know, but I’m liking it more and more as I get used to it. There is a high frequency whine from its innards which the Studer guys are supposed to take care of during its “commissioning” in a few days or weeks time… that and the talkback not being turned on in the configuration by default are my only real gripes with it.
nice/congraz!

i don't envy you the black version but all the more for the meterbridge...

[this is amongst studer nerds*: what's in the d21m card slot? have you got a stagebox? could you purchase the configurations tool in addition to the desk or does it come with the vista1 now (as is the case with the larger desks)? and what software is running on this desk?]

for what and in combination with what other gear will you be using the desk? does the studer replace another desk?

* i had started two other threads dealing studer vista desks - feel free to/i welcome any user with hands-on experience to post here:

not all digital desks are equal...
newer studer vista desks running on infinity core
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
nice/congraz!

i don't envy you the black version but all the more for the meterbridge...

[this is amongst studer nerds*: what's in the d21m card slot? have you got a stagebox? could you purchase the configurations tool in addition to the desk or does it come with the vista1 now (as is the case with the larger desks)? and what software is running on this desk?]

for what and in combination with what other gear will you be using the desk? does the studer replace another desk?

* i had started two other threads dealing studer vista desks - feel free to/i welcome any user with hands-on experience to post here:

not all digital desks are equal...
newer studer vista desks running on infinity core
The desk replaces a DM2K, which was getting a little long in the tooth. We have a Dante card in the slot, as the school has been building around Dante for the past decade or so with our AV infrastructure.

I’m not sure what Studer calls their OS, but it feels old, like W7. I’ll look into what exactly our Mixer is running on and what configuration tools we have; the whole ecosystem is pretty new to me, and I’m still wrapping my head around it.

And thank you for the links! I’ll likely have some questions for the community as I’m using the mixer in more and more conmplicated situations.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
The desk replaces a DM2K, which was getting a little long in the tooth. We have a Dante card in the slot, as the school has been building around Dante for the past decade or so with our AV infrastructure.

I’m not sure what Studer calls their OS, but it feels old, like W7. I’ll look into what exactly our Mixer is running on and what configuration tools we have; the whole ecosystem is pretty new to me, and I’m still wrapping my head around it.

And thank you for the links! I’ll likely have some questions for the community as I’m using the mixer in more and more conmplicated situations.
i see - os can be old xp (no kidding!) or w7 but i'm wondering about the specific vista software (which gets displayed on startup); my desks run on 5.2.07 - anyway, welcome in the 'buena (studer) vista social club'!
Attached Thumbnails
'post pandemic' live mixing, location recording and broadcasting-03_vista1_no2_.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kevin... it looks a bit like the cockpit of a 747...
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
... but none of them would fit into a small ensemble if low visibility is required...
I am prognosticating that this is the beauty of it... incredibly subtle and almost underhanded!

Last edited by joelpatterson; 4 weeks ago at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Okayeee... today I ordered the second Rxo ii....
📝 Reply