The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
'post pandemic' live mixing, location recording and broadcasting
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
it's been by far the hottest day this year (so far...) but what made it special was that i was supposed to assist two visiting techs who are mixing the possibly most well-known singers in fado, cristina branco and misia.

unfortunately for misia, except for her pianist, all other other band members and their tech didn't manage to get from portugal to switzerland (due to issues with the flight - blame easyjet!) so rather than setting up the pa and preparing everything for the techs, misia asked cristina's guitar player to jump in and they wanted to start rehearsing immediately, so i set up things in a hurry and jumped behind the desk - and got to mix misia! (i had mixed cristina branco on several other occasions before)

what a wonderful evening!
It's great when a potential bad scene becomes a good scene!

Well done!

HB
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
I had an "interesting" day on Saturday... an outdoor private high school jazz band concert (first time since '19) in a familiar (to me) patio/lawn setting on campus. 12 noon arrival. As I drove to the venue... rain began (steady drizzle... weather forecasts had been "overcast/dry") all day until around 4 pm... then a long, damp down-hill push to the stage area (a large porch under a tent) and to FoH across the lawn (also under a tent). Quick-Set-Go to soundcheck with 22 inputs... Jr Hi band's soundcheck, at 6:30pm, Downbeat set for 7pm.

Got decent sounds until, 10 minutes into the soundcheck, the DL32 took a dump... lost sync. No sound... just the yellow Flashing Light Of Doom on the front panel. Scrambled to suss the problem, then, after vetting the cables, CAT5e snakes and junction point (150' run) grabbed the backup DL16 out of the trailer, got a solid yellow status light (WHEW!)... patched the inputs, and re-mic'd around the 16-input limit. Downbeat happened around 7:15, and I tweaked gains like a madman during the opening piece. Jr Hi band played well; Sr Hi band played well. Everybody seemed pleased. Band director and I finished strike/pack/loadout, and the long uphill push to the trailer, around 1:30. AM. I'd have made photos, but...

Some days you get the goat. Somedays it's a fornication of goats... I just may be getting to old for this s...

And... I may be going back to copper snakes (I still have several, including a 125' 24x8, though it wasn't in the trailer) because, in 50 years of doing this stuff... I've occasionally lost a channel, but NEVER the whole damn snake.

Today it's back to the same school (20+ year clients) for a week with kindergarten-5th grade kiddos for the "Grandparents Day" (first since '19) performance on Friday. Rain don't matter... but I do have to re-make friends with the installed Midas Pro2C after 2 years off. Ahhh... Life.

Cheers.



Life goes on.
So where was the DL32? On the stage, or back at your position? Was the Cat5 connecting the DL32 to a remote computer for control? Were you using it with Cat5 stage boxes? Sorry for my confusion, am unfamiliar with that gear...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
So where was the DL32? On the stage, or back at your position? Was the Cat5 connecting the DL32 to a remote computer for control? Were you using it with Cat5 stage boxes? Sorry for my confusion, am unfamiliar with that gear...
The DL32 was onstage, 22 mic and DI channels fed it directly; a 100' shielded CAT5e snake ran into a shielded CAT5e extender connector, which ran into 50' CAT5e cable, directly into the console's dedicated CAT5e snake connector. Got a solid green status light.

Ran fine though setup, mics check and half of soundcheck. Then gakked (yellow flashing status light) and didn't pass signal.

First, we actually disconnected the 50' run, and carried the desk and power cable out to the connector to check continuity through the 100' snake (50' short of the stage area... ); then tested the 50' snake (carried the desk to that point); THEN we reconnected the two snakes, grabbed the DL16 out of the trailer (replacing the DL32), rejoined (back where we started) the two CAT5e snakes, got a stable green light, and re-deployed 16 channels of the original 22, console back under the awning. No further trouble.

It was the DL32.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you are using Ethernet cable in your audio setup, I highly recommend one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/IDEAL-Li...1205&gclsrc=ds

It weighs a lot less than a mixing panel.

D.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
The DL32 was onstage, 22 mic and DI channels fed it directly; a 100' shielded CAT5e snake ran into a shielded CAT5e extender connector, which ran into 50' CAT5e cable, directly into the console's dedicated CAT5e snake connector. Got a solid green status light.

Ran fine though setup, mics check and half of soundcheck. Then gakked (yellow flashing status light) and didn't pass signal.

First, we actually disconnected the 50' run, and carried the desk and power cable out to the connector to check continuity through the 100' snake (50' short of the stage area... ); then tested the 50' snake (carried the desk to that point); THEN we reconnected the two snakes, grabbed the DL16 out of the trailer (replacing the DL32), rejoined (back where we started) the two CAT5e snakes, got a stable green light, and re-deployed 16 channels of the original 22, console back under the awning. No further trouble.

It was the DL32.
Sorry to be dim--so you were using the DL32 as a sort of stage box, that was feeding Cat5 to another console in the back of the house? I'm asking because in my thoughts about the DL32 (when it first came out) was that it seemed cool that I could NOT have any snake at all to the mix position, ie I'd mix and record directly off the DL32 that would be on the stage, and all I'd have would be iPads etc to control it with... Have I misunderstood your rig, I guess? And when you swapped in the DL16 you also put it on the stage and repatched the band to it? thx
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #66
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
Sorry to be dim--so you were using the DL32 as a sort of stage box, that was feeding Cat5 to another console in the back of the house? I'm asking because in my thoughts about the DL32 (when it first came out) was that it seemed cool that I could NOT have any snake at all to the mix position, ie I'd mix and record directly off the DL32 that would be on the stage, and all I'd have would be iPads etc to control it with... Have I misunderstood your rig, I guess? And when you swapped in the DL16 you also put it on the stage and repatched the band to it? thx
You might be mixing up two different products- Midas has a stagebox named DL32 and mackie has a digital mixer that is a rackmount mixer controlled by tablet with a very similar name. hbphoto was referring to the 32 channel Midas stagebox (and dl16 is the 16 in 8 out version of the same)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
You might be mixing up two different products- Midas has a stagebox named DL32 and mackie has a digital mixer that is a rackmount mixer controlled by tablet with a very similar name. hbphoto was referring to the 32 channel Midas stagebox (and dl16 is the 16 in 8 out version of the same)
THANK YOU! That makes much more sense!!! Bummer though.... I hope the stage box isn't busted.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not being sarcastic; did it come back to life with a reboot (power down, power up)?

D.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Not being sarcastic; did it come back to life with a reboot (power down, power up)?

D.
Actually, I haven't had opportunity to plug it back up and check things out. I do know that it (the DL32 stage box) was boinked... no cable swap, restart, whatever, got the yellow status light "green" or signal restored. That will happen in the next week or two after we return from a family visit in the upper midwest.

I shall check back in after that occurs. Cheers, all.

HB
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 79 views: 25423
Avatar for Ichabod
Ichabod 6th March 2014
replies: 30 views: 6100
Avatar for joeko
joeko 13th February 2021
replies: 40333 views: 3281735
Avatar for mark123
mark123 3 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump