The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LDC mics for general acoustic instruments vs SDC
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➡️
Hello, I don’t know about measurements for them, but the principal is sound, and with a capable preamp (I really like it with an AEA TRP), it’s noticeable. Super detailed and realistic, yet still with the "big" voicing of a LDC.

The idea is that less mass of the diaphragm allows for faster response. I don’t know if you ever heard of the mod they would do on 87’s where they would (I believe) reskin it as 3 microns (and the good ones backplate adjustments). If not done right (the bad ones), some complained it was too bright etc.

The JZ however was tuned from the ground up for this technology. It sounds great. Think about this, have you ever read a single negative review of one? I never had, and that’s almost unheard of. Hell, some people already hate the new m49, and it hasn’t even been released yet…
I know of some mics with thinner diaphragms that are said to sound uber detailed or "real life".

I've never heard a bad review of one, but that holds true for a lot of cheaper mics as well, or at least ones in the same price range. My concern is not if a V67 or Amethyst is good, but if it's comparable to a used Lauten, for example. I hear detail and dimension in a U87ai (just an example, and one that's used a lot in Podcastage and VO shootouts) and that's something I'd like to approximate in my next flagship mic purchase.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➡️
I’m curious if you had the 2 mics side by side to determine its "better".

I wasn’t familiar with the schoeps, so I went and listened to some samples. It sounds nice, definitely natural, but not like an LDC to my ear. This was what appeared to be the best representation, totally appropriate for the setting, but it’s not the excitement I would expect of an LDC.

Here is probably the best representation of the v67 I’ve found. This is the sound of that mic. It’s speed captures the reedy’ ness of his voice, and shows the full frequency spectrum.

While looking for that, I saw this brand new, really well done review against a real 67. I prefer the JZ on guitar for sure, but the Neumann of course sounds excellent on the voice, warm with a very full bottom. However, if you wanted a modern sound, I could see picking the JZ for vx as well. I wonder if he was a little closer, if the proximity would bring the lows on the JZ up to the Neumann? Either way, it sounds very nice. The guy really did a good review if you watch the whole thing. He did a second song using only the JZ, and unlike most YT reviews, there was some care put into writing that song. All instruments recorded with the JZ, and well represented. Most importantly (because too many YT channels just kiss ass), I agree 100% with his only criticism. The internal mount won’t cut it alone. I’ll definitely keep an eye on his channel.

Thank you for sharing this, very very excellent review and an A/B that's worth 10,000 words.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There have been a number of microphones using a small diaphragm capsule and a baffle over the years. You get the baffling effects at high frequencies and beaminess inherent in the large diaphragm capsule. But you don't get the breakup modes and pattern irregularities. You don't get the improved S/N of the larger capsule but you get better off-axis response. It's a cool thing but it's neither fish nor fowl.
--scott
📝 Reply