The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonosax AD8+ Dante situation
Old 1st February 2022
  #1
Sonosax AD8+ Dante situation

Is anyone here using an AD8+ specifically via Dante?

Any issues or concerns to be aware of in this capacity?

I spoke to Jacques Sax over a year ago and there was apparently some issue finalizing the Dante card for the R4+ (presumably long since resolved), but I can't recall seeing/hearing much about this specific use-case for the AD8+ and I am curious to get some real-world reports, if possible.

I know many Sonosax users here have either a Sonosax recorder or interface via AES, but neither of these is practical for my application.
Old 4th February 2022
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Hi Wavefront,

I have this setup and have successfully tested recording in the studio at home in prep for field work. It wasn't trivial sorting out Dante Virtual soundcard, Via and controller, but the concepts were familiar to me as a Ravenna user.

But as per usual, the main right royal annoyance is monitoring from the laptop. Requires purchase of another box.

My intention is to take the just a small laptop and the AD8+ to smaller gigs for data acquisition.
Old 4th February 2022
  #3
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Seems like an awkward box to me.

Integration into the system as a whole is still important.

Just my $.02.

D.
Old 4th February 2022 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Seems like an awkward box to me.

Integration into the system as a whole is still important.

Just my $.02.

D.
What’s awkward about it Doug ?
Old 4th February 2022
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Having trouble getting the AD8+ powered from POE. Tried three different switches now. It just doesn't power up. Any tricks to this?
Old 4th February 2022 | Show parent
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Hi Wavefront,

I have this setup and have successfully tested recording in the studio at home in prep for field work. It wasn't trivial sorting out Dante Virtual soundcard, Via and controller, but the concepts were familiar to me as a Ravenna user.

But as per usual, the main right royal annoyance is monitoring from the laptop. Requires purchase of another box.

My intention is to take the just a small laptop and the AD8+ to smaller gigs for data acquisition.
Thank you for these comments, David. My rig is already Dante-centric, with a Sound Devices 8-series recorder at its heart, so I have no concerns on the usability or monitoring fronts.

Your comment about PoE gives me some pause, but I hope you'll resolve it soon and will be curious to hear what you discover.
Old 5th February 2022
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Interested in this topic as well.

Write to Sonosax support with POE questions. Their website says it will work.

Currently I am using the AD8+ with an AVB output into a Mac. Limited to 48k. Bummer, maaaaaaaaannnnnnn.
Old 5th February 2022 | Show parent
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Currently I am using the AD8+ with an AVB output into a Mac. Limited to 48k. Bummer, maaaaaaaaannnnnnn.
Thanks for this information. I was having some flashbacks to when I considered buying a Sound Devices 970 and discovered upon closer scrutiny that apparently (at least at the time) it did not properly support Dante at 96kHz.

On the Sonosax website, the AVB card is claimed to work at 48, 96, and 192. Is it a Mac-related issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Sonosax AD8+ Dante situation-capture.jpg  
Old 6th February 2022
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes, a Mac issue. I’m afraid that the info on the Saxsite is optimistic.
Old 7th February 2022 | Show parent
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
I have this setup and have successfully tested recording in the studio at home in prep for field work.
Hi David,

It didn't occur to me to ask earlier, but in light of Plush's comments about the AVB card above, I assume part of your successful tests include using the AD8+ Dante card at 96kHz or 192kHz?
Old 8th February 2022 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
What’s awkward about it Doug ?
Well, I was thinking about needing to be able to access at least three surfaces . . .

And then I realized that my beloved Sound Devices needs access on four sides, and I love it. I think I was considering how it might fit into my Dante stuff (which is all racked, of course) and not as another little multi-track recorder.

So I take it back.

Funny but if my 788T was Dante enabled, I don't think it would see much use when I had my Dante rig working. How would I use it even if it were Dante enabled? But maybe.

D.
Old 8th February 2022 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront ➡️
Hi David,

It didn't occur to me to ask earlier, but in light of Plush's comments about the AVB card above, I assume part of your successful tests include using the AD8+ Dante card at 96kHz or 192kHz?
Hi Wavefront, yes no problems at all with 8 channels of 192kHz or 96kHz with the Dante card, recording nicely into Reaper and a small 13in Dell laptop.

But I cannot get the AD8+ to be powered from POE. Let me know if anyone has done this successfully with the Dante card. I am awaiting further hints from Sax mission control.
Old 8th February 2022 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Well, I was thinking about needing to be able to access at least three surfaces . . .D.
Hi Doug, not quite sure what this means.

I use the wifi app to setup the device and it is very nice to use. Pushing the knobs manually on the front panel, less so.

The Dante setup is straight forward and works very well.
Old 8th February 2022 | Show parent
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Funny but if my 788T was Dante enabled, I don't think it would see much use when I had my Dante rig working. How would I use it even if it were Dante enabled? But maybe.
Hi tourtelot, I certainly don't expect my working methods to appeal universally, but here are two ways I am commonly using a Sound Devices 8-series recorder with Dante:

Scenario A
Recorder is placed near lip of stage (or choir loft/ceiling when hanging mics). Cable lengths are minimized and the recorder's mic inputs are used. A Dante run back to the control room allows monitoring and for an additional recording to be made via laptop. The Sound Devices can be remote-controlled via password-protected Bluetooth from a very large distance and through multiple walls when using the antenna. A USB extender (also over ethernet) is also a possibility for remote control I am curious to try at some point, but haven't yet needed to.

Scenario B
Recorder remains in the control room area and a Dante-enabled preamp/AD is used closer to the performance for the more critical channels. This is sent back to the recorder over cat6, and an analog snake is used (when needed) to bring spot mic channels back to the recorder's mic inputs. Monitoring can be done off the recorder directly, but it is still convenient to have a laptop next to the recorder, receiving all tracks via Dante, especially for (e.g.) a CD recording session where lots of markers and notes may need to be placed in the DAW timeline.

Neither scenario is, perhaps, completely ideal, but I enjoy very much working with a dedicated hardware recorder (with 3 redundant media) and never needing to worry about potential computer issues as part of the recording process. Of course a JoeCo or similar can provide this peace of mind, but the time I gain from needing to set up only one small box is very valuable, at least for the way I like to work.

The setups above may be less elegant than others in a given situation -- e.g. occasionally running cat6 and analog in parallel -- but I also find it highly appealing to have a single high quality, reliable recording tool which I always bring regardless of the job, and which can capably handle many different modern recording scenarios, including ones I did not mention: interfacing with cameras, livestreaming, etc. etc.

Such is my taste
Old 8th February 2022
  #15
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yep, I get that. That is why my 788T comes with me on every job.

When you said in your post that:

"The Sound Devices can be remote-controlled via password-protected Bluetooth from a very large distance and through multiple walls when using the antenna."

Did you mean the Sonosax? I have never known a remote for the 788T but I could have overlooked many things that have happened to that box since I bought it so many years ago.

Funny that my set ups with the 788T are completely different from my set ups with my Dante rig. The former for most any job with 8 inputs or less, the latter for any input count above 8. And never the twain meet.

D.
Old 8th February 2022 | Show parent
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
When you said in your post that:

"The Sound Devices can be remote-controlled via password-protected Bluetooth from a very large distance and through multiple walls when using the antenna."

Did you mean the Sonosax? I have never known a remote for the 788T but I could have overlooked many things that have happened to that box since I bought it so many years ago.
Forgive me for causing confusion. When you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
"Funny but if my 788T was Dante enabled, I don't think it would see much use when I had my Dante rig working."
I was not thinking literally of a hypothetical Dante-enabled 788T, but rather took your comment as a more general invitation to describe how a roughly similar device (8 series recorder) could work very well in a Dante environment. That said, with your more complex racked system for larger jobs, I completely understand why even a Dante-enabled S.D. recorder would not necessarily tempt you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Funny that my set ups with the 788T are completely different from my set ups with my Dante rig. The former for most any job with 8 inputs or less, the latter for any input count above 8. And never the twain meet.
I guess the opinions I shared make me more of a "never the twain shall part" person
Always nice to compare notes!
Old 10th February 2022
  #17
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Just been playing with the Audinate AVIO AES adapter as the monitoring link to a DAC1 off my little Dell laptop from Reaper and the AD8+.
https://www.audinate.com/products/da...-avio-aes3-ebu
All works really well, up to 96k only. A nice compact solution, albeit having to take a DAC1 to site. Pretty useful box to have in a session though. Two analog outputs, two headphones.
Old 10th February 2022 | Show parent
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Just been playing with the Audinate AVIO AES adapter as the monitoring link to a DAC1 off my little Dell laptop from Reaper and the AD8+.
https://www.audinate.com/products/da...-avio-aes3-ebu
All works really well, up to 96k only. A nice compact solution, albeit having to take a DAC1 to site. Pretty useful box to have in a session though. Two analog outputs, two headphones.
Glad to hear this.

Although in general Dante lacks the boutique fidelity cachet associated with Merging/Ravenna, my experience has been consistent with many others in finding Dante to be highly reliable, flexible, and scalable.

P.S. Any updates yet about the AD8+ PoE situation?
Old 10th February 2022 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
NorseHorse's Avatar
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront ➡️
Although in general Dante lacks the boutique fidelity cachet associated with Merging/Ravenna, my experience has been consistent with many others in finding Dante to be highly reliable, flexible, and scalable.
DANTE has been reliable both here and at my old post at the USMB. Can't say the same for Merging. DANTE is straightforward, and there are many choices for pres/AD/DA/mixing/monitoring (and they are all interchangeable...).

I recently used the AD8+ on a 53-channel orchestral recording, and it ran via PoE+ (as I've done a bunch before). I'll get a picture next time.
Old 10th February 2022 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront ➡️
P.S. Any updates yet about the AD8+ PoE situation?
No success yet and haven't heard back from SS. Christian, which model switch are you using?
Old 6 days ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Running like a champ here now. POE'd AD8+ at 96kHz over Dante to laptop. NagraVI as backup from AES output.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonosax AD8+ Dante situation-dante.jpg  
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #22
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Running like a champ here now. POE'd AD8+ at 96kHz over Dante to laptop. NagraVI as backup from AES output.
What did it take to get the AD8+ to work with POE?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath ➡️
What did it take to get the AD8+ to work with POE?
I had a defective unit that was replaced under warranty.
Old 4 days ago
  #24
David, have you had occasion to use the wifi for remote control?

I am curious what sort of range one can expect from this for a reliable connection, especially if a couple of walls or a floor is separating the control room from the performance area. (also waiting to hear from Sonosax directly, but always appreciate user reports...)
Old 4 days ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Phone / iPad must be close to the R4+ to control it with Wi-Fi. Do not attempt to control it from afar.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront ➡️
David, have you had occasion to use the wifi for remote control?

I am curious what sort of range one can expect from this for a reliable connection, especially if a couple of walls or a floor is separating the control room from the performance area. (also waiting to hear from Sonosax directly, but always appreciate user reports...)
Haven't really tested the range as I always just use my phone when sitting near the AD8 with wifi to access setup. I would much rather not use wifi and have suggested to SX to put the html pages at the end of the dante IP address, so I can use my laptop for setup. They are considering this. Merging does this with Ravenna and its great. I don't like small phone screens anymore.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Haven't really tested the range as I always just use my phone when sitting near the AD8 with wifi to access setup. I would much rather not use wifi and have suggested to SX to put the html pages at the end of the dante IP address, so I can use my laptop for setup. They are considering this. Merging does this with Ravenna and its great. I don't like small phone screens anymore.
Interesting, thanks for the information. Yes, having a mechanism for wired remote control would make the unit much more appealing for me.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 361 views: 54762
Avatar for John Willett
John Willett 10th February 2018
replies: 55 views: 11910
Avatar for Audiop
Audiop 28th April 2010
replies: 52504 views: 3957867
Avatar for mathirio
mathirio 8 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump