Quantcast
Field recording - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Field recording
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Field recording

I want to start doing some field recordings to use to make loops...these might be nature sounds, urban sounds, home sounds...in other words a whole range of sounds. I have an iphone X and wondered if I should
1) use my iphone mic
2) buy a mic for my iphone like the rode ios mic
3) buy a zoom / tascam or other filed recorder

I am looking for quality of sound balanced with ease of use.

Any feedback gratefully received!

Thanks folks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Start immediately and cheaply with what you already have (your iPhone's inbuilt mic) and record as many samples you can using that device (in the possible localities you intend to cover), then critically analyse the recordings for your intended purpose.

Questions to ask during analysis: are they realistic enough to the source sound ? Do they have credible dynamics, or are these hampered by the phone's internal hardware and default processing ? Are they low noise enough (verify by recording extremely quiet ambient sounds) ?

I'm assuming your phone will generate mono recordings....is this acceptable for your intended use, or is stereo a non-negotiable lower benchmark for you ?

Your answers to these questions will dictate how far up the purchase cost and sound recording quality ladder you need to ascend. So start at ground level, make recordings and then upon review start specifying some criteria you want to aim at.

It's possible, tho perhaps unlikely, that your current phone without accessories might meet your current needs....so remain there until you meet a need to ascend the ladder
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…