The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
neumann grills are trash
Old 11th January 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
neumann grills are trash

I wanted to buy a tlm193 but then I remembered that neumann mic grill's are extra soft so that u bend them in easily.
What if my grill gets dents??????
neuman charges 300$ for a stupid grill
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lots of dented mics still work and sound fine.
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What do you think it is, a football?
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mine are still in perfect condition after 25 years, but I only play ping pong with them.
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plautus ➑️
I wanted to buy a tlm193 but then I remembered that neumann mic grill's are extra soft so that u bend them in easily.
What if my grill gets dents??????
neuman charges 300$ for a stupid grill
I generally baby all of my mics, whether Neumann or any other brand. I literally walk slower when carrying an exposed ribbon (not sure if that's necessary or not but better careful than waiting months and paying out hundreds for repairs!) Seems to keep things looking and working at their best.

A mic grille has the conflicting goals of being resilient and protective of a mic's delicate capsule and of being acoustically transparent. Neumann chose a design that crumples to protect (like an auto) while providing as much sonic transparency as possible . Make of that what you will.
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If grille is bent, remove outer housing and grille carefully from inner circuitry and capsule . When grille is well-separated from mic capsule/diaphragm, carefully push grille back into shape with your fingertips, then re-assemble and keep using your mic.

Better still, handle carefully and avoid denting grille by rough handling in the first place !!

A hard shell case and contoured foam insert/ cradle protects your mic during transport.

It's not an SM58....
Old 11th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
my grill works fabulous but then I check the temperature carefully, especially when smoking a tender trout...
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
don't feed the troll.
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Nope--they are not trash. YOU trashed them.
Old 11th January 2022
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
my 1995 tlm193 grille is in perfect condition still, bought second hand.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
trout or troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs ➑️
don't feed the troll.
the only troll around here is the op who went way too far with another thread he just started (in german - i suspect to escape the radar of the moderators):

imputing dishonest intentions or business practices to a company is a criminal offence!

i hope the other thread will get shut down shortly...

___

back to the alleged grill issue: we should rather be grateful to neumann for forcing the op to rethink his throwaway mentality and, if he is not capable of doing so himself, to leave the repair to a qualified craftsman!

trout anyone?

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 11th January 2022 at 03:18 PM..
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➑️

imputing dishonest intentions or business practices to a company is a criminal offence!
agree, in some cases it could be regarded as slander.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
If grille is bent, remove outer housing and grille carefully from inner circuitry and capsule . When grille is well-separated from mic capsule/diaphragm, carefully push grille back into shape with your fingertips, then re-assemble and keep using your mic.
You haven't actually done one of these have you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➑️
You haven't actually done one of these have you.
Worked well enough for my U89 !
Old 12th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well the dents in a couple of second hand Neumanns I have purchased certainly could not be pushed out with just fingers. The structural beams are particularly stiff.
Old 12th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a few really beat up one, but because I purchased them that way vs making them that way myself. You have to take care of your stuff. Close mic's on drums is what's risky.

I love my really really beat up Purple badge 170. The person who sold it stated it was from the band Chicago, but not sure if I believe them and don't really care.

The really beat up mic's tend to be the good ones, because they were the ones that were used. Because it was the good sounding one. Mic's are sometimes like Cymbals, I have a few 57s, I know the one that sounds best out of the group.
Old 12th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
An old "How It's Made" YouTube, that is probably familiar to most of us here, shows how a U87 grill is die-pressed and assembled into a head basket (starts at 00:50): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTZy-ThRXeY
I don't doubt what David says about it being difficult to hand press a dent out of the 'beam' or crease. On the other hand, it should be possible to press a dimple out of a flat section of the grill. When you watch the video, one can surmise that a replacement head basket from Neumann is going to be expensive...
πŸ“ Reply