Quantcast
reinforced crossover recordings - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
reinforced crossover recordings
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
I don't know, to me, it looks like the Plexiglas is there to help reduce the spill from other sections. From what I can tell by viewing this video, the mics are not wrapped in Plexiglas, they are set up behind the musicians nowhere near the microphones.
I may have exaggerated a bit. But note, for example, the abundance of plexiglass on stage and the mics situated top right in the video:

https://youtu.be/-qW-yUllrv4?t=1409
https://youtu.be/-qW-yUllrv4?t=1589 [from a different angle]

I was already not happy with the mix, and was looking for some place to lay at least partial blame.

You are correct. It would have been more appropriate to say 'sections wrapped in plexiglass'. But does this have any discernible impact on the sound recorded?

The mix mostly didn't blend into a whole thing for me. . .if that makes any sense.

Transparently,

Ray H.

Way off topic: As a musician who mostly did gigs in noisy dive bars along the beach, I've often wondered about all those music stands in orchestras. . .except for the soloists, who come to the gig actually knowing the tunes. . .I've wondered how much those stands even affect orchestral recordings. Maybe I'm a little too OCD around the edges?
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Totally agree with Scott about the utility of figure-eights in such situations. I've mostly dealt with smaller ensembles performing a 20th century piece or two "to tape", so I'm not having to construct an entire orchestra mix from spots. Instead, I'm using some "just in case" spots and putting my main pair upstage of the PA hang, which is closer than usual for me. That means I need some hall ambience to mix in with the mains, so I'll put up a 1 or 1.5 meter bar with a pair of MKH 30's that have their nulls aimed at the main speakers. That's enough to dig out some useful hall sound. I do, of course, record a dry split of the backing tracks in sync with the live stuff to provide a basis for time-aligning a cleaner copy.

David
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
Those plexiglass screens pictured in Steve's post protect the musicians' hearing. If you are sitting in front of the the percussionist, or the trumpets, (or, in this case, some really rockin' bassoonists?) the dB level can be quite high.

Scott: I didn't notice any BLMs/PZMs on plexiglass baffles?
Thanks for the elaboration, Jim.

Best I recall, there were some remote cameras mounted close to plexiglas. They may have casually looked similar BLMs? Still, I benefited from Scott's reminiscing. . .and will steer clear of those models.

Best regards,

Ray H.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
Best I recall, there were some remote cameras mounted close to plexiglas. They may have casually looked similar BLMs? Still, I benefited from Scott's reminiscing. . .and will steer clear of those models.
Yes, I couldn't really see if there was anything mounted to them or not, but I just had this flashback of recording the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra entirely with PZMs and thinking how wonderfully detailed and bright everything was... I was a lot younger then and I have learned my lesson.
--scott
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
'sections wrapped in plexiglass'. But does this have any discernible impact on the sound recorded?
depends on how many of these plexi shields are getting used, the seating, how close you put your spots etc...

...but ime these smaller shields are way less disturbing than large plexi walls that get occasionally used (in jazz) to shield off drums/to prevent drums from leaking into piano mics:
in the latter case, the plexi often harms the acoustics noticeably - after all, we're talking about several square meters of a hard, reflective surface - but the psychological effect on musicians may outweight the poor acoustics ...
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
Those plexiglass screens pictured in Steve's post protect the musicians' hearing. If you are sitting in front of the the percussionist, or the trumpets, (or, in this case, some really rockin' bassoonists?) the dB level can be quite high.

Scott: I didn't notice any BLMs/PZMs on plexiglass baffles?
Thank you for setting me straight on the intended use of these stands.

What is confusing to me is that in searching this just now I also found examples of some manufacturers advertising similar plexi screens for covid protection, too.
📝 Reply