Quantcast
"It sounds... 'lumpy'..." - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"It sounds... 'lumpy'..."
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With a rota of musicians coming to a festival venue, I used find it difficult to start a real conversation with them.
Now I just ask them if they are on the road at that time, some of the answers are quite amazing, I was habituated on an ever changing schedule as a staff/freelance Recordist in TV and complicated travel was an everyday occurrence .
Some of them are flitting about in a similar manner globally too, the logistics are amazing especially for the Orchs and their touring trucks and coaches.
Once the ice is broken language becomes easier, though sometimes a translator is required, it seems.
No different from actors and directors though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Joel - you know the old saying - if it sounds lumpy, it IS lumpy..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
I get it that musicians see the world their way: it must look a lot like an impressionist painting, like early VHS, with blobs and blurs, brimming with suggestiveness, and even more, suggestivenesstivity. Kind of hammers home how what I'm doing is very much physical: physical machines, mike placement in space and time, processing specific data that's been scientifically encoded.

So then, it might seem, that listening to playback is the same abstract, atmospheric visit to the casbah-- I think that a "lumpy" excess in the frequencies might apply to the 200-400 Hz range, and sure enough that made it better--

-- (and if there is a mysterious penumbra of maybe this instrument is not entirely in tune and, in a compassionate gesture, I am disincentivizing the clarity that would expose that, when it's possible to shade that, and that that is our ultimate goal: a playback that reinforces the glory and genius of the player, within the limits of the possible, and more is sometime less, and which it is all a layered thing, 'specially with the tools at hand today, so an imperative to starkness and precision, maybe not, so much)--

so what's everyone's approach to translating musician-speak? And tips or strategies or things that work?
I am using a new lingo now .. can you make that a little less Lumpy and a Little More Wally !! shave a Little Eddie Haskell off that please .. put some sweet June Cleaver on that acoustic ... or man, yeah baby that's a Hugh Bowmont Snare !!!! Dirty up that Mary Ellen Rogers Kick a bit would you Reggie !!!

you notice I left off the star of the show as there really is No Way to use that Word without it be misconstrued in some way .. so I say ..

Leave it to Be-V-eR !!!!

I like Colors - if we are all on the same page .. if Red means more Guitar to me and it means more Snare to You then well we are not going to get along !!

good night !!!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
Joel - you know the old saying - if it sounds lumpy, it IS lumpy..
Maybe it's just thick?...
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thick as a brick! But your wise men don’t know how that feels…
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Yeah, it is a bit lumpy, not too bad, but I'm working on it. I'm hearing some orange too. Almost spidery, but really, more orange.

I think that re-adjusting the quantum gain structure, so that more of the heavy lifting falls on the input gain preamp flux, instead of the parallel reverb early reflection delay algorithym, is going to pull that orange back a bit, and when it does, YOUR phenomenal guitar licks will step up to front and center, instead of competing with bass, and I think that's going to knock alla that lumpy right down to gone."

(Iffn ya caint dazzle em wit brilliance...)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
musicians will be musicians
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I find that musical listening and technical listening are distinct things and I have to listen one way or the other at any given time. Some classical players are able to make considered judgements about the sound quality of a capture or mix when listening to playback, while some others are unable to understand the idea of stereo imaging or even to distinguish stereo from mono. We tend to forget that much of either listening modality is an acquired skill. I remember sitting in front of a monaural radio console as a child, playing with a knob labled Contour, and struggling to understand what it did.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have worked a lot with a musician who can't listen to my live recordings of him for quite a period of time after a tour, because the recorded music messes with his perspective of the performances. Maybe a month or so afterwards, he will give me notes on the mix after he has had the chance to listen on his (very good) home system. Musicians and engineers, like men and women, come from different planets I guess...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
...more like dialects, which are sometimes difficult to understand even if they belong to the same language family (as our recent argument about 'coherency' in another thread shows, which i intend to explain in my 'dialect' some day).

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 07:23 PM..
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I tend to look at it: there's a texture that's appealing-- call it sonority, a perfect blending of frequencies, easy on the ears... which is a separate thing, completely, from how effectively the notes have been sounded, the pace unfolded, the drama created, how well the piece was played. I have to believe there's some scientific way you could map this sonority, some blobby color-coded readout that would describe, in blobs of color, how smooth, serene and velvety it is. (Of course, a "Steven Slate Velvety App" would also be completely terrifying, in a way, I mean there's a future where everything you think do and say is in the app you applied today. And maybe not even you-- maybe just some machine!)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
I tend to look at it: there's a texture that's appealing-- call it sonority, a perfect blending of frequencies, easy on the ears... which is a separate thing, completely, from how effectively the notes have been sounded, the pace unfolded, the drama created, how well the piece was played. I have to believe there's some scientific way you could map this sonority, some blobby color-coded readout that would describe, in blobs of color, how smooth, serene and velvety it is. (Of course, a "Steven Slate Velvety App" would also be completely terrifying, in a way, I mean there's a future where everything you think do and say is in the app you applied today. And maybe not even you-- maybe just some machine!)
I'm listening to a superbly recorded jazz vinyl from 1956 as I write this and I agree totally with your analysis... but what are you growing up on that mountaintop? Please don't sell any seeds to Steven Slate!
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
....Please ...!
But-- but-- if he's the highest bidder, what can I do?
📝 Reply