The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new Schoeps ORTF microphone
Old 13th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
new Schoeps ORTF microphone

In case you didn't see it:

New 2022 model Schoeps MSTC 74 U

It looks like the updated the housing for the MSTC 64 and improved the noise specs by about 1db.

I like the new design.
Old 13th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent ➡️
In case you didn't see it:

New 2022 model Schoeps MSTC 74 U

It looks like the updated the housing for the MSTC 64 and improved the noise specs by about 1db.

I like the new design.
Looks like it needs a hug. Waiting to purchase. Thanks for the update.
Old 14th December 2021
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I love my MSTC64 - the new 74 is probably awesome.
Old 14th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
I love my MSTC64 - the new 74 is probably awesome.
yep - probably one of the (if not the) most used microphone pair here...

if someone is willing to sell his/her old mstc64 (without capsules) pls pm me: not too long ago, one of mine got stolen and i'd love to have an identical (old) system for double ortf (which i'm occasionally using for immersive formats)...
Old 14th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
am considering using the Schoeps ORTF with a pair of spaced omnis on a bar for stereo mixed recording on location in front of performers.
Old 14th December 2021
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Surf - I do that all the time :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
Surf - I do that all the time :-)
I'm guessing you're both virtually never using them in equal 50/50 blend between omni and cardioid pairs, but rather one pair leading in the mix ?

What's your typical finding of which pair needs to dominate...or does it depend entirely on the space you're recording in ?
Old 14th December 2021
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The original idea behind the Boojum/jnorman array was to be able to choose between the omnis and ORTF during post after recording in a facility that I was not familiar with. Nowadays I almost always use just the ORTF pair, and may blend in a slight (maybe 6-8dB down) bit of the omnis to fill in a little low frequencies, and/or room ambience if it is nice. It is a handy setup in lots of situations, though I think we should probably drop the “Boojum/jnorman” moniker since I believe tony f actually formulated it, and probably a million engineers used it long before anybody wrote it down…
Old 14th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Most recording engineers wouldn’t know an ORTF array if they got conked over the head with a MSTC 74U!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim ➡️
Most recording engineers wouldn’t know an ORTF array if they got conked over the head with a MSTC 74U!
If they used an MSTC at least the ORTF angle and spacing are baked in, so they wouldn't have to guess at it !

Last edited by studer58; 14th December 2021 at 06:29 AM..
Old 14th December 2021
Lives for gear

What shock mount would you use with this?

I'm thinking of getting one as an ultraportable, quick setup stereo recording rig with my Sonosax M2D2. I had my eye on the previous model for years; now that I'm finally ready to buy it's a lucky coincidence that they've come out with this new version.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim ➡️
It's more likely to be the conductor who gets conked over the head with it.
Old 14th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like this microphone. You get two premium-grade Schoeps cardioid capsules in a foolproof housing with a single cable run.

I have some other buys before this, but this looks it should be part of any deep mic collection.
Old 14th December 2021
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Brad - the shure A53M is a reasonable choice
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh ➡️
What shock mount would you use with this?.
https://www.rode.com/accessories/sm4
...Is quite workable, as it supports the 'neck' of the mic in one elastic lattice and the attached XLR in the other, not too fiddly to work with.

The Rycote-fitted equivalent: https://www.rode.com/accessories/sm4-r

...would be easier to fit, if the lyres happen to be of appropriate compliance for the weight of the mic/XLR combo (since the mount would be used at near vertical, the lyres might sag out of their usual alignment) ?

Last edited by studer58; 14th December 2021 at 11:52 PM..
Old 19th December 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Nice that they offer the body without the capsules as well.

Order number
No. 139901 MSTC 74 U (with capsules)
No. 132014 MSTC 7 U (without capsules)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use the Schoeps UM20, which I bought many moons ago. It is useful for a number of set ups, but it can be fiddly, and, I think expensive when compared to just a stereo bar.

https://schoeps.de/en/products/acces...ps/ums-20.html

I use Mk5 capsule so using that on the MSTC would put the capsule a tiny bit wider than the ORTF 17cm, or at least I think it would! How much that matters is..................
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Foof ➡️
Nice that they offer the body without the capsules as well.

Order number
No. 139901 MSTC 74 U (with capsules)
No. 132014 MSTC 7 U (without capsules)
Being able to order just the dual preamp is a good option to have available.

Scheops says their recommended starter capsule is the MK5, which is switchable between MK4 cardioid and MK2s omni.

This new stereo mount with a pair of MK5 capsules could be an incredible combination. Beginners who have no idea what they are doing will be steered into good sound, and experienced professionals who need a quality setup quickly can get something workable in a matter of minutes.

Sound effects capturers could have a "field day" with a setup like that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Being able to order just the dual preamp is a good option to have available.
close omni spacing with MK 2 capsules
or MK 21's

Last edited by surflounge; 3 weeks ago at 08:11 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge ➡️
close omni spacing with MK 2 capsules
Yes, very close to Decca tail spacing for piano...although a pair of mono mics on a spacer bar would give more flexibility
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What is the Decca spacing for omnis on the tail end, is there a set spacing that Decca use or is it just a case of eyeing the thing up and listening?
The reason I ask, is that the acoustic will dictate the distance from the piano so the spacing probably varies when that is taken into account.

I wanted to use that tail end spacing on a the last recording involving piano, but everything was a bit tight for the tail end, making it impractical.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➡️
What is the Decca spacing for omnis on the tail end, is there a set spacing that Decca use or is it just a case of eyeing the thing up and listening?.
For the answer to this, the recent 460+ page Decca book by Dunkerley et al will give you the full rationale....it's well worth the modest purchase price ($50, print and eBook versions available) ! You can probably read a sample chapter online to give you an idea of the information wealth that awaits you (ie it's a 26 page chapter on why that spacing dimension is recommended !)

Last edited by studer58; 3 weeks ago at 09:07 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Geoff - 10-12” spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
new Schoeps ORTF microphone-4fcbe1b4-c5f2-407b-a741-ea7f3c7ee4f5.jpg  

Last edited by jnorman; 3 weeks ago at 07:46 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What is the Decca spacing for omnis on the tail end, is there a set spacing that Decca use or is it just a case of eyeing the thing up and listening?
The reason I ask, is that the acoustic will dictate the distance from the piano so the spacing probably varies when that is taken into account.

I wanted to use that tail end spacing on a the last recording involving piano, but everything was a bit tight for the tail end, making it impractical.
I use that frequently with my pair of CMC65's in omni, and love it. Based on the info I got, I think, from King2070playa in another thread, the spacing is around a foot, between 4 and 5 feet back from the tail and 5.5' to 6' high, looking down that 15 degree spine in the Steinway D frame. Of course, the height and distance will vary based on the hall and the piano.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
For the answer to this, the recent 460+ page Decca book by Dunkerley et al will give you the full rationale....it's well worth the modest purchase price ($50, print and eBook versions available) ! You can probably read a sample chapter online to give you an idea of the information wealth that awaits you (ie it's a 26 page chapter on why that spacing dimension is recommended !)
I had a very interesting conversation with John Dunkerley on the phone a couple of years ago. He rang me about some question I had placed on the forum. We chatted for so long, that the phone battery went on the landline, we continued on the mobile phone and then the battery went on that. He was so helpful with the spacing and distancing dimension, and the various mics that were used on the Tree. He also put forward other ideas about mic placement and "tricks"! It was so helpful, and interesting.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I had a very interesting conversation with John Dunkerley on the phone a couple of years ago. He rang me about some question I had placed on the forum. We chatted for so long, that the phone battery went on the landline, we continued on the mobile phone and then the battery went on that. He was so helpful with the spacing and distancing dimension, and the various mics that were used on the Tree. He also put forward other ideas about mic placement and "tricks"! It was so helpful, and interesting.
It's great that pioneers and experienced practitioners like John (and Tony Faulkner on this forum) are happy to be so generous with their advice and details. The Decca Book is a terrific compendium of John's and Decca's collective wisdom and methods...and an absolute bargain and goldmine for location recorders !
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
does the decca book have useful information for small studios, or is it only for big auditorium/big studio recordings?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Gearstudent - you would probably be better off with John eargle’s “the microphone book”
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
does the decca book have useful information for small studios, or is it only for big auditorium/big studio recordings?
The sections on voice recording (with or without accompaniment) classical guitar recording, and to a lesser extent piano, would all be applicable to smaller studios....as well as the recommendation for spot or close miking of acoustic instruments...not to mention session procedure, takes logging etc.

I'm sure you'd derive more value than you'd expect, although as jnorman advises other books will have more of a small studio focus. Check out the Decca book's chapters and index previews online to see if they might cover your requirements.

Which instruments or ensemble types are you focussing upon ?
📝 Reply