The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste
Old 12th December 2021
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste

I was asked to recording and mix this ambitious teleproduction for that thingy we did with Jon Batiste for the metaverse launch last on October 28th, 2021.

On September 30th, we loaded in early morning and set up to sound check and rehearse this nearly 64 input video shoot. We were there until 2:00 AM the following morning. We headed back home to get as much rest as possible, so we can hit the ground running on the October 1st shoot day.

We recorded two songs, 'Tell The Truth' and 'Freedom.'

A one minute and ten seconds edited version of 'Tell The Truth' was used for the October 28th metaverse launch.

You can check it out by clicking on the link below...

Entertainment in the metaverse

I love that Stephen Colbert mentioned (starts at 4:53) the little thingy we worked on, during his monologue back on October 28th, 2021...

metaverse plug on 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.'

Besides the four camera shoot that was done for the 'Connect 2021 metaverse' launch we also shot "oners" for the two tunes. The "oners" were captured using a 24FPS 16MM film camera. They were used for an internal viewing for the creatives at Facebook for their meta Virtual Gaming Day event. Jon Batiste happens to be a big gamer, so he was also interviewed for this event to streamed to thousands of their in-house team. These two songs may be available to the public. I'm in the process of remixing 'Freedom' for JB. He approved my first pass mix for 'Tell The Truth.'

Considering the fact that we had two drummer, a percussionist, upright bassist, keys and hammond organist, three horn players, three background singers and JB playing guitar and keys during a live performance with stage monitors and side fills, we captured this with excellent isolation. And, the minimal leakage that was present was "good" leakage. Soloing up each track sounded like they we in isolation booths. True story!

I attached a few images for reference and review...
Attached Thumbnails
Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-01-rehearsal.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-02-rehearsal.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-03-upstage-view.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-04-leslie-wrap.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-05-mon-rig.jpg  

Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-06-rec-rig.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-08-video-village.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-09-joes-drums.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-10-negahs-percussion.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-11-ambers-drums.jpg  

Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-12-set.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-13-set.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-14-dress-rehearsal.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-15-tell-truth.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-16-tell-truth.jpg  

Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-17-tell-truth.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-18-band-picture.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-19-band-picture.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-20-band-picture.jpg   Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-21-tell-truth-mix-session.jpg  

Old 19th December 2021
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
There's a good possibility the two "oner" videos we also shot may become publicly available. I just remixed the tunes, one was approved on the first pass and holding for JB's approval on the other.
Old 24th December 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Congratulations!!! on a job well done!
Old 25th December 2021 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Thanks Thomas!

JB is a seriously busy guy. I trust he will find a moment to listen to my mix of 'Freedom' and finalize the tune. I believe I have it where he's going to be happy with it.

Wait until you see and hear these music videos. As I mentioned in my last post, they want to eventually get them out there for everyone to enjoy. It's just a matter of time. The folks at Facebook are hoping this will happen soon.

The crazy thing is, I also have a project JB is thinking of putting out, which I originally recorded back in 2010. He was in his mid-twenties playing the charts he wrote in college with his big band. Many special guests, killer performances (two sets,) and the rough mix I recently done for him sound pretty amazing considering that I only balanced and panned the tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Congratulations!!! on a job well done!
Old 31st December 2021
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I must say, the Midas DL351 remote head amps sound fabulous! I haven't used my Midas Pro2C in a very long while, yet the DL351 makes it to many of my location productions.
Attached Thumbnails
Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-1001211732-01-01.jpg  
Old 31st December 2021 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
There's a good possibility the two "oner" videos we also shot may become publicly available. I just remixed the tunes, one was approved on the first pass and holding for JB's approval on the other.
Syncing my remixes to picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Live Performance Capture with Jon Batiste-1230212222_hdr-01.jpg  
Old 31st December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I must say, the Midas DL351 remote head amps sound fabulous! I haven't used my Midas Pro2C in a very long while, yet the DL351 makes it to many of my location productions.
what do you like about these preamps
Old 1st January 2022 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I love how they sound. The low-end sounds "analog" to me.

I wish their Digital Snake software was still being supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic ➡️
what do you like about these preamps
Old 2nd January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I love how they sound. The low-end sounds "analog" to me.

I wish their Digital Snake software was still being supported.
How can you control them?
(Other than with a midas digital desk)
Can you use also non-midas digital desks to control them? Like the Digico’s or other consoles?

Is there a specific midas software to controle their main functions without the need of a console?

Thanks!

Cheu
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Back in the day, there was the Midas Digital Snake system. It allowed you to control a range of standalone digital snake and audio distribution products, aimed at all situations.

The software uses Midas mic preamps with full remote control and sample-synchronous low latency. For whatever reason, they discontinued further development and support of the product. It's a real drag because I love the Midas digital sound, but don't like using their PRO console series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
How can you control them?
(Other than with a midas digital desk)
Can you use also non-midas digital desks to control them? Like the Digico’s or other consoles?

Is there a specific midas software to controle their main functions without the need of a console?

Thanks!

Cheu
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Back in the day, there was the Midas Digital Snake system. It allowed you to control a range of standalone digital snake and audio distribution products, aimed at all situations.

The software uses Midas mic preamps with full remote control and sample-synchronous low latency. For whatever reason, they discontinued further development and support of the product. It's a real drag because I love the Midas digital sound, but don't like using their PRO console series.
I share your sentiment regarding their consoles (and part of their processing fwiw).

So basically it’s a sw that only works with “old” operating systems.. I imagine you’re keeping a dedicated pc/mac for using these midas pres on location..

Sometimes I wonder why and who took these decisions in these big companies.. I wonder if they knew what they were doing, frankly..

Maybe there will be a market in the future, to be able to use these products further instead of trashing them..
(like neyrinck does with the old procontrol).

Thanks for your posts and for this side of the forum!
🙏🏻

Take care,

Cheu
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Yes, this software only works with the older operating systems.

Yes, we have a dedicated Acer PC for our DL351 remote pres. The software does not run on Mac OS.

I looked into why they stopped developing and discontinued this awesome system possibility, and I never got a straight answer. IMHO, I have a feeling they thought developing this further would derail console purchases.

I plan to look into seeing what it would take to have this software taken to the next level. There's a few techie friends I want to reach out to. Wish me luck!

Maybe there will be a market in the future, to be able to use these products further instead of trashing them.

Meanwhile, perhaps reaching out to Neyrinck about having the V-Control Pro work with the Midas Digital Snake software for the DL series of remote preamps.

Thanks for appreciating what this side of the forum is all about. IMO, ' Remote Possibilities in Location Recording & Production' is our own "private island" in these immense waters.

Quote:
I share your sentiment regarding their consoles (and part of their processing fwiw).

So basically it’s a sw that only works with “old” operating systems.. I imagine you’re keeping a dedicated pc/mac for using these midas pres on location..

Sometimes I wonder why and who took these decisions in these big companies.. I wonder if they knew what they were doing, frankly..

Maybe there will be a market in the future, to be able to use these products further instead of trashing them..

🙏🏻

Take care,

Cheu
Old 3rd January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

🙏🏻

Take care,

Cheu
this lamentable situation imo got not much to do with the 'old' midas company but with the 'new' onwnership which aims at cannibalizing former hi-profile brands rather than maintaining a high profile of brands they acquired or even developing outstanding new gear... - can get experienced with every brand that got swallowed by evil b!
Old 4th January 2022 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
What you have stated seems quite plausible to me. I'm absolutely taken aback by their quantity over quality mindset and dynamic for their high profile brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
this lamentable situation imo got not much to do with the 'old' midas company but with the 'new' onwnership which aims at cannibalizing former hi-profile brands rather than maintaining a high profile of brands they acquired or even developing outstanding new gear... - can get experienced with every brand that got swallowed by evil b!
📝 Reply