Quantcast
Amazing much? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amazing much?
Old 9th December 2021
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Amazing much?

Last Friday, the 3rd of December we set up this relatively small rig for a live music performance capture at the most iconic observation deck in NYC...

This was a pre-tape performance for an upcoming YouTube live stream event happening later today with Norah Jones including Sasha Dobson on vocals, Gus Seyffert on electric bass/vocals and the incomparable, Brian Blade on drums/vocals...

"Blue Note Records has announced “Norah Jones: I Dream Of Christmas Live At The Empire State Building” a special livestream event that will feature the 9-time GRAMMY-winning singer, songwriter, and pianist Norah Jones performing a set of holiday music atop the iconic New York City skyscraper. The event celebrates the release of Norah’s new album I Dream Of Christmas and can be streamed worldwide on her YouTube Channel this Thursday, December 9 at 4:30pm EST."

Norah jones' Production Manager and FOH engineer for this event, Jamie Landry mixed the live performance tracks I captured for this event.

For those of you that may want to check out this live stream, click on this link...

Norah jones- Live At The Empire State Building

They said it was going to be seriously cold and extremely windy, so I dressed accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Amazing much?-later-today-we-will-setting-up-relatively-small-rig-live-music-performance-captur.jpg   Amazing much?-esb-day-capture.jpg   Amazing much?-then-we-got-set-up....jpg   Amazing much?-setup-beneath-powerful-antennas.jpg   Amazing much?-atop-world-.jpg  

Amazing much?-they-said-going-seriously-cold-extremely-windy-so-i-dressed-accordingly..jpg   Amazing much?-amazing-much.jpg   Amazing much?-nj-esb-live-stream.jpg  
Old 9th December 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Congrats on a job well done...thanks for sharing.
Old 9th December 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
They said it was going to be seriously cold and extremely windy, so I dressed accordingly.
So you put on a knit cap.
Old 9th December 2021 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Yeah, whether I needed to or not. But was it a Beanie, Windschutz or other?

Actually, I put on a balaclava aka black ski mask; wearing it like a Beanie. I was double dipping that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
So you put on a knit cap.
Old 10th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What was the temperature during the after-dark part of the session? It looks cold... I guess street noise isn't a problem on the observation deck, but what about wind?
Old 10th December 2021
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Another concert on a roof !!!
Old 10th December 2021 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
The temperature during the day was around 48 degrees Fahrenheit and a bit windy. At about 4:30 pm it got a bit colder, but the wind dead-down.

The extra heaters that were rented helped the band, yet no so much for their fingers.

We had foam pop filters on every mic, so it helped mitigate the wind noise. I'd say, the filters were about 70 to 80% effective.

Here are a couple of shots from the drone camera for your review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
What was the temperature during the after-dark part of the session? It looks cold... I guess street noise isn't a problem on the observation deck, but what about wind?
Attached Thumbnails
Amazing much?-nj-esb-yt-01-01.jpg   Amazing much?-nj-esb-yt-05-01.jpg  
Old 10th December 2021 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I've done a fair amount of rooftop recordings over the years.

Here's some additional visuals for you to check out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
Another concert on a roof !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Amazing much?-nj-esb-yt-06-01.jpg   Amazing much?-nj-esb-yt-09-01.jpg  
Old 10th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bravo !
Just some synchro problems on Youtube.
Old 10th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds fantastic !

Brian Blade…my god, what a drummer.

Curious about what mic was used for vocals ?
Old 10th December 2021
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
All it's missing is the cops reaching for the amps...
Old 10th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did you use any special mic cables and other gear to avoid RFI problems from all the antennas?
Old 11th December 2021
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Here's a direct link to the live stream event for those of you that didn't get a chance to see it on December 9th, 2021...

Norah Jones: ‘I Dream of Christmas’ Live event from the observation deck atop The Empire State Building.
Old 11th December 2021 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieujm ➡️
Bravo !
Just some synchro problems on Youtube.
I watched this clip a few times and did not see any sync problems.
That being said, I have seen sync issues on clips that never had sync problems. It could be a bandwidth issue with YouTube, and not a sync to picture problem.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkermann ➡️
Sounds fantastic !

Brian Blade…my god, what a drummer.

Curious about what mic was used for vocals ?
Thanks!

Brian Blade is indeed an amazing drummer. And, a seriously great individual to boot. I got to work with him on the Kenny Werner – Democracy Live At The Blue Note record.

Norah usually like to sing into a Neumann KMS105. I brought four of them for this event, but Jamie her production manager and FOH engineer for this shoot decided to go with SM58s on everyone.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➡️
Did you use any special mic cables and other gear to avoid RFI problems from all the antennas?
I set up my gear inside underneath the antennas. That roof is shielded from RFI interference. The equipment inside showed no issues, or should I say, no RFI was tracked to the digital recorders.

The mics were patched into my isolated splitter that directly fed to my Midas DL351 remote preamps. I took the isolated feed this time around.

The low impedance mic inputs helped a lot to avoid much of the RFI issues for us. The strange thing was the fact that we heard all sorts of RFI in the FOH and MON speakers and my recording rig, yet it never was tracked to "tape." A crazy phenomenon that has happened to me over the years on various recording rigs and mobile units.

We couldn't use the Wurly we brought in due to the outside RFI interference. We even brought in a second one, which was even worst than the original Wurly. We set up the Wurly inside, and there was no RFI issues at all which confirmed our suspension that this vintage instrument was not meant to be played atop the Empire State Building. We ended up using a Nord for this capture.
Old 11th December 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Ah, the top of the Empire State Building. I have a friend who was the Chief Engineer of WBLS. We used to go up to the transmitter room, far above the tourist overlook, sit in the open casement windows, drag on our "religious smudge" and look out over the great big world the New York City was in the 1980s (maybe still is). We were both probably impacted by the RF up there but my two "normal" adult children prove that there was nothing to fear.

D.
Old 12th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
Here's a direct link to the live stream event for those of you that didn't get a chance to see it on December 9th, 2021...

Norah Jones: ‘I Dream of Christmas’ Live event from the observation deck atop The Empire State Building.
This whole thing is just absolutely gorgeously beautiful. The levels and verbs are picture perfect, although the picture itself is a little jumpy for my tastes. Hearing the thick density of the keys as the drone hovers in mid-air over the rooftops... priceless!
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Thanks so much, Joel!

I must say, I wish I directed the cuts. Too much movement, and like you said, a bit jumpy for my tastes.

With the amount of production that was involved for this event, we should have had a set up day. There wasn't enough time to get everything dialed in like I normally like to do it. Yet, in the end, everything turned out smashingly well due to Norah's amazing team of individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
This whole thing is just absolutely gorgeously beautiful. The levels and verbs are picture perfect, although the picture itself is a little jumpy for my tastes. Hearing the thick density of the keys as the drone hovers in mid-air over the rooftops... priceless!
Old 12th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What a cool gig. World-class musicians all around. The sounds the musicians and YOU got from that sub-optimal environment are absolutely beautiful. Just goes to show that a bunch of SM58s can make magic happen when all the people involved know what they're doing!

From Wayne Shorter to Dave Binney to Joshua Redman to Norah Jones, Brian Blade can do no wrong. Absolute legend. And Norah is really only getting better, I think, she's a pretty special artist.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks so much, Joel!

I must say, I wish I directed the cuts. Too much movement, and like you said, a bit jumpy for my tastes.

With the amount of production that was involved for this event, we should have had a set up day. There wasn't enough time to get everything dialed in like I normally like to do it. Yet, in the end, everything turned out smashingly well due to Norah's amazing team of individuals.
Hey Steve ... that's awesome .. I worked some of the Capitol Records Rooftop Shoots here in LA !! weather was much better !!

and you look good in a Toque !!! love to hear you are still Killing it in the NYC Area !!! cheers John
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Ah, the top of the Empire State Building. I have a friend who was the Chief Engineer of WBLS. We used to go up to the transmitter room, far above the tourist overlook, sit in the open casement windows, drag on our "religious smudge" and look out over the great big world the New York City was in the 1980s (maybe still is). We were both probably impacted by the RF up there but my two "normal" adult children prove that there was nothing to fear.

D.
Ah yes, atop the Empire State Building. I heard that there are tiles in that transmitter room that no one should stand above. if you do, you can become infertile; incapable of producing offspring.

I'm sure you were not impacted by the RF since your two adult children are proof of it. I'm sure if you were standing over those tiles, you would have had something to fear.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
What a cool gig. World-class musicians all around. The sounds the musicians and YOU got from that sub-optimal environment are absolutely beautiful. Just goes to show that a bunch of SM58s can make magic happen when all the people involved know what they're doing!

From Wayne Shorter to Dave Binney to Joshua Redman to Norah Jones, Brian Blade can do no wrong. Absolute legend. And Norah is really only getting better, I think, she's a pretty special artist.
Thank you, but I'm only as good as the musicians I surround myself with. Norah, Sasha, Gus and the incomparable, Brian made my job an easy one despite the location and less than the highest quality environment.

Like I have said countless times before, "it's about the "ear" not the gear."
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➡️
Hey Steve ... that's awesome .. I worked some of the Capitol Records Rooftop Shoots here in LA !! weather was much better !!

and you look good in a Toque !!! love to hear you are still Killing it in the NYC Area !!! cheers John
Hey John!

Thanks so much.

Do you have any links to those better weather Capitol Records rooftop shoots? Love to see and hear them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I set up my gear inside underneath the antennas. That roof is shielded from RFI interference. The equipment inside showed no issues, or should I say, no RFI was tracked to the digital recorders.

The mics were patched into my isolated splitter that directly fed to my Midas DL351 remote preamps. I took the isolated feed this time around.

The low impedance mic inputs helped a lot to avoid much of the RFI issues for us. The strange thing was the fact that we heard all sorts of RFI in the FOH and MON speakers and my recording rig, yet it never was tracked to "tape." A crazy phenomenon that has happened to me over the years on various recording rigs and mobile units.

We couldn't use the Wurly we brought in due to the outside RFI interference. We even brought in a second one, which was even worst than the original Wurly. We set up the Wurly inside, and there was no RFI issues at all which confirmed our suspension that this vintage instrument was not meant to be played atop the Empire State Building. We ended up using a Nord for this capture.
I’m not an electrical engineer but from internet searching:
Is there a mixer (or other device) that feeds your FOH and Mon and recording rig but NOT your recorders.
If so, then I would suspect a “Pin 1” problem.
In the signal path to the recorders are there transformers that could be blocking RF?
The Wurlitzer keyboard utilizes capacitive coupling which increases RFI problems. Don’t know about a NORD.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Keep in mind, the FOH/MON desk was outside. Everything outside was susceptible to the RFI emitting from those powerful antennas including the Fender and Ampeg amps along with the Wurly. Even the active DI boxes didn't play nice with the RFI from the antennas.

If the FOH/MON desk was also inside where audio and video were set up, I don't believe we would have had the buzz problems we heard. I made the decision to keep the Midas DL351 inside with us to help minimize the RFI issues. The DL441 analog mic/line input cards for the DL351 do not have transformers. I believe the fact that the low impedance outputs of the mics helped mitigate the RFI to the DL351 mic pres.

Furthermore, it was not a “Pin 1” problem. There is no doubt in my mind, that if we had beads on the power cords to the Wurly, it would have minimized the RF interference. I'm not an electrical engineer, so this is all speculation on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➡️
I’m not an electrical engineer but from internet searching:
Is there a mixer (or other device) that feeds your FOH and Mon and recording rig but NOT your recorders.
If so, then I would suspect a “Pin 1” problem.
In the signal path to the recorders are there transformers that could be blocking RF?
The Wurlitzer keyboard utilizes capacitive coupling which increases RFI problems. Don’t know about a NORD.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
hm...

if there would have been enough time, i would have tried to put the stagebox (mic pres with trafo inputs/ad-coverters) outside and use but very short mic cables - at least that was the setup which got me the best results when broadcasting for radio vatican (which had europe's most powerful radio transmitter - pretty much in the center of rome btw)...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 12th December 2021 at 01:25 PM..
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
No way would I have placed the DL351 outside. I needed it and all my other gear for that matter inside in the Faraday shield enclosure beneath the powerful antennas. Blocking the electromagnetic fields was mission critical for the recording.

That said, we used short cables to the splitter. Keep in mind the low impedance mic lines were not the issue in this case.

As you can hear in the live stream recording, there is no RFI issues present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
hm...

if there would have been enough time, i would have tried to put the stagebox (mic pres with trafo inputs/ad-coverters) outside and use but very short mic cables - at least that was the setup which got me the best results when broadcasting for radio vatican (which had europe's most powerful radio transmitter - pretty much in the center of rome btw)...
Old 13th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the discussion about RFI,
and great job Steve!
Old 13th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey John!

Thanks so much.

Do you have any links to those better weather Capitol Records rooftop shoots? Love to see and hear them.
here is Avenge Sevenfold Live ... I am at a loss to find the Fuel TV stuff and some others ... oh well .. enjoy !!

I was A2 / Comm's Tech on that one .. and camera Tech .. whatever they needed .. that's what happens when you hire a Tech Producer as an A2 !!! ha .. All my Buds .. not sure who did the Live mix but could have been my friend Mike Harrison ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdnQF3HIZjk
📝 Reply