The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A-B Straus Paket and Boojum/Norman Arrays
Old 7th December 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
A-B Straus Paket and Boojum/Norman Arrays

These recordings are of the 30 member High School Junior Choir associated with my church. I wasn't very familiar with the characteristics of the room and didn't have time to fine tune mic placement, so I wanted a setup that would provide some options post recording. I used 3 pairs of mics on a single bar, which allowed me to choose from spaced A-B omnis, spaced A-B cardioids, near-coincident DIN, a Boojum / Norman array, or a spaced A-B Straus Paket array.

For Ave Maria and Oculi Omnium I used the Straus Paket A-B, primarily using the omnis and the cardioids were 10dB lower. A little bit of compression on the peaks and a medium hall reverb.

For Creator Alme Siderum (15 member boy choir) I used the Boojum / Norman array with the omni A-B pair as the primary, with the DIN pair 6dB down. A large hall reverb was used.

Here's a link to wave files for the 3 recordings:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArPFBNX3leKCg0Lp...OmhWX?e=KEllrZ

Thoughts and comments appreciated. Thanks!
Old 7th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For my ears the first 2 samples (Straus Paket) produce the more pleasing rendition of the choir
Old 7th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
For my ears the first 2 samples (Straus Paket) produce the more pleasing rendition of the choir
Thanks for listening and commenting.

In this space I too like the clarity from the spaced A-B Straus Paket array (at least for the first two songs). I was hoping to use just the omni spaced pair, but I believe they were placed a bit too far back to do that; it was nice being able to add in a bit of the cardioids in the array for a little more focus/closeness.

For the third song, Creator Alme Siderum, we decided that we would like this chant to have less clarity and intelligibility and with a larger space reverb. Adding in the DIN array to the spaced A-B omni pair seemed to provide that. It just seemed a bit more 'chant' like to us.

I was pleased to have so many options in post as I don't have the experience, nor did I have the time, to get a single pair of mics placed ideally.
Old 9th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Watch out for the very low rumble on Track 3. You might have missed it on your monitors as I'm guessing it's probably below 30Hz. Pretty loud though and probably should be cleaned up with a HPF.
Old 10th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar ➡️
Watch out for the very low rumble on Track 3. You might have missed it on your monitors as I'm guessing it's probably below 30Hz. Pretty loud though and probably should be cleaned up with a HPF.
Thanks much for letting me know, I'll check into that.

Update: I checked my mix settings, and I did forget to enable the HPF for that song (HPF was applied to the other 2 songs). I’ve updated the mix and the links. Thanks again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s interesting that the Straus paket is still being used as a tonmeister teaching tool…not in its original 50/50 balance to create wide cardioid, but as a continuously variable mic pattern pair amongst several others:

https://youtu.be/_LodbDwi4hU
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
It’s interesting that the Straus paket is still being used as a tonmeister teaching tool…not in its original 50/50 balance to create wide cardioid, but as a continuously variable mic pattern pair amongst several others:

https://youtu.be/_LodbDwi4hU
Thanks for the link.
📝 Reply