Combine km120 and kk120 in Blumlein? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Combine km120 and kk120 in Blumlein?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Combine km120 and kk120 in Blumlein?

Hi!
Does the old Neumann km 120 (with km100) and new kk120 (with km a) sound the same? I have one kk120 and can buy a km120 used.

The km 120 is sold together with two km140 and two km130. I already have 3 kk143 and one kk131 (with km a). Are the old amplifiers and capsules comparable in quality?

Best wishes,
Knut

Last edited by knuttta; 1 week ago at 08:08 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes, they are comparable in quality in all ways. Can make a great m/s recording or other with 100 series paired with KMA series.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Yes, they are comparable in quality in all ways. Can make a great m/s recording or other with 100 series paired with KMA series.
Thanks, Plush!
The same seller also sells km130 and km 140. What is your opinion of them compared to 183 and 184. Are they noisy?

Best wishes,
Knut
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuttta ➡️
Hi!
Does the old Neumann km 120 (with km100) and new kk120 (with km a) sound the same? I have one kk120 and can buy a km120 used.

The km 120 is sold together with two km140 and two km130. I already have 3 kk143 and one kk131 (with km a). Are the old amplifiers and capsules comparable in quality?

Best wishes,
Knut
The difference between the new and the old systems is the electronic design. Neumann shielded off the dc/dc converter in a better manner in the newer version, what lowered the self-noise with about 2.5dB. The KK120 has about 15dB self-noise and the older KM120 about 17.5dB. If that could be detected in a double blind test I don't know, probably depending on the loudness level of the recorded source.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
for easy comparison between mics, clip or tape them together, put them in front of a loudspeaker, play some music and/or pink noise, use closely matched preamps and compare signals/tracks (via fft)...
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks, Plush!
The same seller also sells km130 and km 140. What is your opinion of them compared to 183 and 184. Are they noisy?

Best wishes,
Knut
KM100 series absolutely top quality. No noise whatever. KM100 series was positioned by Neumann as their top top small mic series and reigned supreme for many years. In that series it was the first time that the electronics were in the head and not in the "preamp" body.

If sellers are selling good condition 100 series, then jump on them.

The have the typical Neumann "sparkle-y" sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi!

Best wishes,
Knut
You can always do "Blumlein Mid Side": - figure-8 mid/figure-8 side; rather than doing the XY configuration with one panned left the other right. This way, any differences in capsule response that might have resulted esp. from age will be irrelevant.

On another note: super-jealous that you found these. As you probably know, Neumann no longer make them. I had someone recently contact me out-of-the-blue trying to buy mine! They'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I wouldn't mind finding another KM131....
📝 Reply