The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The breakneck pace of technology
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
I recorded 3500+ live classical concerts and I have to say I don't agree with your opening statement. In many cases the recordings brings back amazing images both visual and aural. I always aimed at doing a recording that captured the performance as if I was an audience member in the venue. Most of the time I succeeded.

FWIW
fine - i don't think it's possible to get an accurate picture of a concert for theoretical reasons alone.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I can relate to both perspectives.

For example, no single photo can capture the entire performance, but on the other hand, it can show a more detailed and more focused perspective that one might not notice in person.

I think the same holds true for audio and video recordings. They aren't quite like being there in person, but a good recording can preserve a more focused aspect of what it was like or even take an aspect of their own as an almost new creation derived from the live performance.

Joel is obviously happy with his new toys. That's a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
When you are tired of doing the work, let a JANITOR do the recording.
I resemble that remark. I was a janitor in college. This janitor did some good recordings at that college. Records were made. The jazz band professor's wife worked at Century Records in Newhall. We got them made for free for the school. Those were my first releases when I was 19.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The miniaturization of high quality recording gear extended my career as a location verite-dialog recordist, re: the weight and struggle with mono Nagra, then stereo Nagra, then stereo DAT, then various file based machines. It also made my location music work (those "fleeting moments" I'm very much in the biz of capturing!) possible. I spent a very long time having to mix live to stereo, until affordable, good sounding portable multitrack rigs became available. These rigs make my current work possible, so while I'm suspicious of tech change in general in my own world the advances have been great. Yeah, it means that a lot of people who could not record themselves very well before can now do a job with it that satisfies them, so they don't need me: that's the collateral damage of the tech advances I guess. But in truth I don't miss that sort of job much, really.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I recorded 3500+ live classical concerts and I have to say I don't agree with your opening statement. In many cases the recordings brings back amazing images both visual and aural. I always aimed at doing a recording that captured the performance as if I was an audience member in the venue. Most of the time I succeeded.

FWIW
One can attempt to record what something literally sounded like, then one can strive to record what something felt like - the latter is what I consider a successful recording.

I liken it to to how the great Director of Photographer Vilmos Zsigmond said there were two different aims in lighting: realistic lighting and naturalistic lighting, and that he preferred naturalistic lighting because ". . .it feels more real". A bit of a malaprop perhaps, but I know what he meant.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Recordings are a separate art form from live documentation.

I can think of little more boring than a recording giving the listener a place in the "best seat in the house."

No thank you.

We offer an enhanced reality trip.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

I can think of little more boring than a recording giving the listener a place in the "best seat in the house."

No thank you.

Some people like my approach and some people like yours. It does not make either one right or wrong. I have worked with performers who get upset if the perspective they are used to hearing is "messed with" in one case we did a quad recording of a string quartet. We used the Sansui encoder (late 1970s). We placed the microphones "around" the quartet. They all said that they did not like the experience and to "never do it again". We also did a recording of a jazz septet using the same setup and they liked it a lot. Different strokes for different folks...

There are so many ways to do recordings of classical ensembles from the simple X-Y to multichannel surround and even ATMOS. They all "capture" the event but some people will like one way and some the other. FWIW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There are so many ways to do recordings of classical ensembles from the simple X-Y to multichannel surround and even ATMOS. They all "capture" the event but some people will like one way and some the other. FWIW
....and when something relatively iconoclastic (storage-wise) like Blu-Ray arrived we tended to get the full gamut of delivery options exploited, even though we didn't necessarily want or need them all (think of the typical 'Collector's Edition' reissue multi-disc set). Have space...will fill
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

No thank you.

That's an apt description what what I do. No seat in the house hears the mix I eventually deliver of a live recording!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
That's an apt description what what I do. No seat in the house hears the mix I eventually deliver of a live recording!
The Best of all possible best seats ! Or you can produce multiple iterations of "Best" mixes, if you have enough mic capsules involved in the game...
Old 10 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I know this sounds silly, but I miss opening a brand new pancake of tape and enjoying the smell of it. Also, rocking the reels back and forth, marking the edit point with a grease pencil and then placing the tape on the chopping block and sliding the razor blade across.
Old 8 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hardly new tech at this point, but I still marvel at my Sony MZ-M10 portable HiMD recorder - mic pre, fairly decent A/D converter, dedicated line level/SPDIF input, optical disc writer, D/A converter, surprisingly good HP amp, all in a box the size of the palm of your hand.

We've all become blase about mini recording marvels, but that this little guy has all the usual features of such, AND and optical drive, plus SPDIF input is still impressive.
📝 Reply