Quantcast
Decision Time in Middle Tennessee... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decision Time in Middle Tennessee...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Decision Time in Middle Tennessee...

I'm about to re-invest some cash from a sale of asset, and I'd like a reality check. One of my Gefell M296 omnis has developed a crackle that seems to need a $300+ fix. As I was thinking about the age of the Gefell pair (2008 or so) and having already gone through the crackle thing with a pair of M200s, I wondered if I'd be better off with, say, a pair of KSM141. I use omni less now than I did 15 years ago, and my research on GS and other online comments on the 141s seems to indicate that it may indeed be a better use of my cash at this stage. And I can always use another solid cardioid pair... right?

Thoughts? Approbation...? Cackles of derisive laughter...? OM1s?

An enquiring mind seeks wisdom from the hive...

TIA,

HB
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Reliability: Shure
Sexiness to players: Gefell
Sound: your call!

(I like that series of Shure mics, but don't have that one. KSM137s have been great for me on percussion and has "hall" mics)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of M296 that are pretty new and love them. That being said, I probably wouldn't mind spending some cash in 12 years or so to get them fixed/upgraded, specially if they've seen lots of use. Best of luck!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hard to get a new mic for $300 that will match the Gefell M296. Get it fixed.

Just my $.02

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Harry - I no longer even own a pair of omnis, as I have found that subcards are more useful in the venues I work in. I am using MSTC64 as mains all the time, with mk21s or line audio CM4s as flanks and spots, with a pair of km184s for vocal spots or whatever needs a bit of hf kick. I have owned pairs of CM3s, CM4s, and OM1s and they are all quite good (remember the post here where someone did a shootout between the cm3 and schoeps mk21 and people could hardly tell which was which, and several folks preferred the line audio mics…). The CM4s have proven to be excellent piano spots and on winds. The omnis that I used for years were km183s and if I were buying new omnis, that is what I would choose. The AKG c480 with ck62 caps are also excellent, and the AT4022 is a great sounding mic which is also affordable.
Doug also gives solid advice - send the pair in at the same time and let them bring them both to spec. Can’t go wrong sticking with gefells, and good service can make them just like new.

Last edited by jnorman; 2 weeks ago at 07:38 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Even if you decide not to keep the Gefells long term, wouldn’t you want to get them serviced so they are salable?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i don't like to have damaged gear lying around; as long as it can be repaired with justifiable effort, i still strive to do so with any (audio) equipment - even if it's only for ecological reasons...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's hard to see past the default Gearspace solution to all such dilemmas of this kind which is... you need both.

Get the M296s serviced and this should see them good for another 30yrs of stellar use, but also pick up a pair of KSM141s as a flexible addition/back-up for your locker.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
It's hard to see past the default Gearspace solution to all such dilemmas of this kind which is... you need both.

Get the M296s serviced and this should see them good for another 30yrs of stellar use, but also pick up a pair of KSM141s as a flexible addition/back-up for your locker.
I believe I will be doing both... the turnaround from Germany is 2-3 months it looks like, and I'll likely need omnis before that time has passed. So... I think I'll reinvest some proceeds in 141s and send off for repair M296s. That could be better?

Cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Please do think about repairing your REAL microphones from Gefell.
The 296 is a unique creation.

It started life as a suggestion from Jerry Graham at Gotham Audio who told Gefell that they should take a stab at making a modern M50.

Very unique design and stellar sound.

Here I am the person who voiced the KSM 137 / 141 mics early in their development. They are very good mics and made to be Shure's copy of Schoeps mics. But they are a budget solution and your Gefells are Rolls-Royces.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
I believe I will be doing both... the turnaround from Germany is 2-3 months it looks like, and I'll likely need omnis before that time has passed. So... I think I'll reinvest some proceeds in 141s and send off for repair M296s. That could be better?

Cheers.
I thought you had a pair of DPA 4060s or 4061s that you could press into service until you get your M296 serviced?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You could also consider having your M296's retrofitted by Rens Heijnis: http://sonodore.com/microphones.htm His claim is:
"Gefell M296. A surprisingly good microphone after retrofitting. Before modification it sounds very dull. Retrofitting for 48V phantom and active 60V possible." I myself plan to have my M296's retrofitted by him when they need servicing anyway. It's probably a lot faster than sending the mics to MG as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Please do think about repairing your REAL microphones from Gefell.
The 296 is a unique creation.

It started life as a suggestion from Jerry Graham at Gotham Audio who told Gefell that they should take a stab at making a modern M50.

Very unique design and stellar sound.

Here I am the person who voiced the KSM 137 / 141 mics early in their development. They are very good mics and made to be Shure's copy of Schoeps mics. But they are a budget solution and your Gefells are Rolls-Royces.
Thanks, Hudson. That will be my plan. I guess I like the thought of having a sporty Lincoln and a Rolls.

Cheers.

HB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
I thought you had a pair of DPA 4060s or 4061s that you could press into service until you get your M296 serviced?
My 4061s are usually on "piano duty" in instances where the Gefells come out to play.

Cheers.

HB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
You could also consider having your M296's retrofitted by Rens Heijnis: http://sonodore.com/microphones.htm His claim is:
"Gefell M296. A surprisingly good microphone after retrofitting. Before modification it sounds very dull. Retrofitting for 48V phantom and active 60V possible." I myself plan to have my M296's retrofitted by him when they need servicing anyway. It's probably a lot faster than sending the mics to MG as well.
I shall investigate that, as well. Are the M296 not already 48v phantom already?

Cheers.

HB
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If it was me I'd fix them anyhow, since if you sell them broken you won't get all that much for them anyhow. The way things go with "name" brand mics, you could fix them, put them on a shelf and in a few years they'd be worth what you paid+the repair bill now. That's what happened with my original brace of Schoeps mics from the 1980s.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
I shall investigate that, as well. Are the M296 not already 48v phantom already?
M296 is 48V phantom already, but Rens makes improved electronics that work with phantom power AND he makes electronics that are 60V powered with a separate power supply for even better performance, especially in the field of dynamics. You can choose between having your mics converted to his version of phantom powered electronics, or his 60V conversion.

I for example have a few Schoeps CMC6 mic bodies converted to his 48V electronics. These are reserved for the money channels when I use Schoeps. Low notes in particular sound more open and more natural with these electronics, instead of the somewhat choked lows of standard electronics, especially with pressure omni capsules. The highs are not as "electrified" sounding as with standard Schoeps electronics, but more natural. Gut string violins could sometimes be unbearable with standard electronics, while the Rens conversion makes them much more appealing. We're discussing the critical edges of sound quality here, of course, not night and day differences.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
M296 is 48V phantom already, but Rens makes improved electronics that work with phantom power AND he makes electronics that are 60V powered with a separate power supply for even better performance, especially in the field of dynamics. You can choose between having your mics converted to his version of phantom powered electronics, or his 60V conversion.

I for example have a few Schoeps CMC6 mic bodies converted to his 48V electronics. These are reserved for the money channels when I use Schoeps. Low notes in particular sound more open and more natural with these electronics, instead of the somewhat choked lows of standard electronics, especially with pressure omni capsules. The highs are not as "electrified" sounding as with standard Schoeps electronics, but more natural. Gut string violins could sometimes be unbearable with standard electronics, while the Rens conversion makes them much more appealing. We're discussing the critical edges of sound quality here, of course, not night and day differences.
Thanks. I'm on the backside of my local recording biz here, post-Covid, so I'll likely ship them back to Gefell for repairs. I hope to be doing this for the next 6-10 years, Lord willing, and the economy recovers.

Thanks again, all.

HB
📝 Reply