Quantcast
illustrations of instrument dispersion patterns - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
illustrations of instrument dispersion patterns
Old 2 weeks ago
illustrations of instrument dispersion patterns

I'm looking for books that illustrate the sound dispersion / radiation patterns of various instruments. I've seen a few illustrations on GS, but not sure where they came from.

Here's an example:
Attached Thumbnails
illustrations of instrument dispersion patterns-recordingdispersion.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Most of the ones I see have been copied without attribution from Jugen Meyer's classic book Acoustics and the Performance of Music. The graphic you've included above appears to have been inspired by those drawings.

While I think there's some illustrative value in these solid angle renderings, they're "dumbed down" versions of actual polar data that obscure a lot of fine detail. Only brass instruments have the kind of clearly-defined angular cut-offs that are depicted, and not at all frequencies. Many instruments have very complex radiation behavior that can't be properly summarized in averages taken over three broad frequency ranges.

David L. Rick
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's an interesting concept. But musical instruments aren't speakers and don't produce sound the same way a speaker would. With the exception of brass instruments, pretty much every instruments radiates sound from various parts of it's body.

Think about a woodwind, like a saxophone or clarinet. Some of the sound comes from the bell, but most of it comes from the tone holes. An acoustic guitar or cello or violin also radiate sound from more than just the strings or tone holes. And certainly a piano radiates sound from the entire body of the instrument.

You'd have to have more than 41,000 mics (a mic at every 1 degree arc of a sphere around the player/instrument) to make an accurate measurement of the spherical dispersion of any instrument, and then also have to account for the player themselves absorbing and shadowing some of the sound.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
Most of the ones I see have been copied without attribution from Jugen Meyer's classic book Acoustics and the Performance of Music. The graphic you've included above appears to have been inspired by those drawings.

While I think there's some illustrative value in these solid angle renderings, they're "dumbed down" versions of actual polar data that obscure a lot of fine detail. Only brass instruments have the kind of clearly-defined angular cut-offs that are depicted, and not at all frequencies. Many instruments have very complex radiation behavior that can't be properly summarized in averages taken over three broad frequency ranges.

David L. Rick
David, thanks to the reference to the book. I understand any simple form of illustrating sound dispersion wouldn't be too representative but could be a starting point for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Note that Olson's classic text, Music, Physics and Engineering, includes more conventional polar plots for a half dozen different instruments in Chapter 6. If you're looking for more recent data sets, some quite detailed, these will generally be described in scientific journals such as the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America rather than in books. Oftentimes, the research summarized can be found in long form in someone's graduate thesis, which may be orderable online or through a good research library. Some authors have chosen to make their data publicly available. This data set is an example.

David L. Rick
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…