Quantcast
Interview with Simon Eadon - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interview with Simon Eadon
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Interview with Simon Eadon

I stumbled across this interview today, a bit embarrassed it took me so long to find it!

I hope you will find it as interesting as I have:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature...th-simon-eadon
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I loved the bit about 'listening at Granny's level' - terrific advice.

Would love to know what those pads under his stands are made of.

The man loves his Jecklin.
In this shot it looks like he's using it for ambience, with a big piece of duvetyne to gobo off the direct sound from the choir(?).

Thanks for posting this.
Attached Thumbnails
Interview with Simon Eadon-eadon-d.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
(....)In this shot it looks like he's using it for ambience, with a big piece of Duvetyne to gobo off the direct sound from the choir?
...and/or to mimic the hf attenuation which otherwise would occur over distance.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I enlarged and lightened the photos from the article so one can 'see into' them a bit better.
Attached Thumbnails
Interview with Simon Eadon-eadon-c.jpg   Interview with Simon Eadon-eadon-b.jpg   Interview with Simon Eadon-eadon-.jpg   Interview with Simon Eadon-eadon-e.jpg   Interview with Simon Eadon-12-06-28-whole-orch-21.jpg  

Interview with Simon Eadon-eadon-f.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
I loved the bit about 'listening at Granny's level' - terrific advice.

Would love to know what those pads under his stands are made of.

The man loves his Jecklin.
In this shot it looks like he's using it for ambience, with a big piece of duvetyne to gobo off the direct sound from the choir(?).

Thanks for posting this.
A while ago I asked Simon how he fixed separation between front and rear channels for 5.1, and he told me he always uses a big baffle to screen of the sound from the stage. That is what you see here on the picture.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
I stumbled across this interview today, a bit embarrassed it took me so long to find it!

I hope you will find it as interesting as I have:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature...th-simon-eadon
Thanks so much for putting this up on the site.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Classic Decca techniques provide that much needed pounding.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
A while ago I asked Simon how he fixed separation between front and rear channels for 5.1, and he told me he always uses a big baffle to screen of the sound from the stage. That is what you see here on the picture.
Ah - hadn't thought of that.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Looks chilly in that church
All venues look interesting
Granny level is best especially for Gran Pa
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #10
Gear Addict
 
DaveyJones's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➡️
Looks chilly in that church
All venues look interesting
Granny level is best especially for Gran Pa
The west end of Trinity college chapel? No chance, they have got to be one of the wealthest university colleges in the world; I expect it TOO hot in there if anything.

They often do live broadcasts from there now but from the east end instead; interesting they chose to record in that end...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Just noticed that it’s an old Decca Tree, holding the backwards Jecklin and baffle
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
Just noticed that it’s an old Decca Tree, holding the backwards Jecklin and baffle
By golly - you're right; good eye !!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Just to add to this,

There was an interesting interview given by Tony Faulkner on BBC radio about a week ago, I don't know if anyone heard it. I caught it part way through and think that it must have been regarding the death of the classical record Producer, John Boyden, in September.

I wish I could remember the day as it would be possible to find it on the listen again programme (or whatever it's called).

It was regarding John Boyden's attitude of giving a performance during recording rather than lots of takes, and then the inevitable "edited highlights" approach. He spoke of working with John Boyden and his approach to the recording of music in general.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 2 weeks ago at 02:05 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
norfolksoundman9's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones ➡️
The west end of Trinity college chapel? No chance, they have got to be one of the wealthest university colleges in the world; I expect it TOO hot in there if anything.

They often do live broadcasts from there now but from the east end instead; interesting they chose to record in that end...
Perhaps they appreciated the company of Newton, Tennyson, Bacon et al!

Or, more prosaically, perhaps this was during the restoration of the chapel in 2015-16 (note the bottom left-hand corner of the photo).

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Same trick here: Simon uses an ordinary towel to cut down HF content from the orchestra getting to the surround mics. Simon keeps the rear mics about 15 feet (15 milliseconds) from the main forward facing mics as too great a distance between them decreases the coherency (loss of clarity clarity) between front and back.
Attached Thumbnails
Interview with Simon Eadon-simon-eadon-pic.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
... as too great a distance between them decreases the coherency (loss of clarity clarity) between front and back.
Is there supposed to be any coherency between the front and rear mics?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Is there supposed to be any coherency between the front and rear mics?
If you want to know you have to ask Simon Eadon, that's what he told me.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Not throwing any shade on SE at all (believe me), but it just cracks me up to see an actual Dexion Decca tree being used to hang a bath towel and a Jecklin disc.

Would love to know when that particular one was actually fabricated.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Is there supposed to be any coherency between the front and rear mics?
Standard Decca practice for ambience mics in stereo was a rear/up-facing ORTF pair only several feet back. I'd imagine because a Jecklin (even 'toweled-off') picks up more from behind than ORTF cards, he stretches that to ~15'.

I think beyond 15' you'd start to get an audible delay, especially if in surround, those mics are reproduced on a separate set of speakers, rather than mixed at low level with stereo mains.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump