Quantcast
iPhone - RECORDING ON-BOARD MICS IN STEREO - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iPhone - RECORDING ON-BOARD MICS IN STEREO
Old 9th November 2021
Lives for gear

iPhone - RECORDING ON-BOARD MICS IN STEREO

Hey Music & Sound Makers,

Just a quick FYI. It’s been driving me nuts that, on occasion, when I’ve got nothing else to record with, Apple’s voice memo app won’t allow me to record in stereo.

I just found a free app called Ferrite Recording Studio that finally allows me to record in stereo—including in lossless.

Here is the link for it in the App Store.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ferrit...o/id1018780185

I have no affiliation with Ferrite / etc. I just wanted to make this information available to others. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
iPhone - RECORDING ON-BOARD MICS IN STEREO-63b4a7ad-8b1b-4c22-b6ec-f8449d10bf92.jpg  
Old 8th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wasn’t aware the iPhone had stereo pickups…
Old 8th December 2021
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
There is stereo sound in videos as well. And not even terribly bad. At least in XS.

edit: in the camera app videos that is.

Antti
Old 15th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You can use free apps like the one from Lewitt for their DGT650 or Shure for their MV88 with the inbuild mics, too. Or Garageband. Or - as being said - the camera app.
Since at least the iPhone 11 the inbuild mics have become quite good compared with the Shure and the DGT I own.
Old 2 weeks ago
iFi audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK ➡️
Hey Music & Sound Makers,

Just a quick FYI. It’s been driving me nuts that, on occasion, when I’ve got nothing else to record with, Apple’s voice memo app won’t allow me to record in stereo.

I just found a free app called Ferrite Recording Studio that finally allows me to record in stereo—including in lossless.

Here is the link for it in the App Store.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ferrit...o/id1018780185

I have no affiliation with Ferrite / etc. I just wanted to make this information available to others. Cheers!
Great idea/find! Do you hear any improvement in the recording quality? Sometimes I have friends who don't have access to mics use the voice memo, but I feel like even $20 USB mics are better.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio ➡️
Great idea/find! Do you hear any improvement in the recording quality? Sometimes I have friends who don't have access to mics use the voice memo, but I feel like even $20 USB mics are better.
To be honest, yes I do. The simple switch from mono to stereo makes quite a big difference in being able to feel out demos I’m working on… maybe I could post a demo as an example, but either way, I encourage you to try it for yourself.

I’ve been doing acoustic guitar and piano demos on it lately.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
iFi audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK ➡️
To be honest, yes I do. The simple switch from mono to stereo makes quite a big difference in being able to feel out demos I’m working on… maybe I could post a demo as an example, but either way, I encourage you to try it for yourself.

I’ve been doing acoustic guitar and piano demos on it lately.
Will do. Great find! Thanks for shouting it out!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder how it is done. The iPhone 11 has 3 mics, one used mainly for telephone calls on the bottom, one on the front next to the facetime cam and one on the other side next to the main cam. It could be the case that one can even change their characteristics. But how should one direct the iPhone towards a source when recording in stereo and which mics are used by Ferrite?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The two mics on my iPhone 12 Pro Max are on the bottom on either side of the charger port, so aim that end of the phone toward the source. I don’t know the app above, but I have tried voice recorder pro, which can, in advanced mode, bypass the automatic gain control (AGC) of the internal recorder, so you can manually set your recording levels. Does the above app have that capability? That is the single most important feature if you wish to make a decent recording with your phone - AGC destroys all semblance of dynamic range…
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
iFi audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
The two mics on my iPhone 12 Pro Max are on the bottom on either side of the charger port, so aim that end of the phone toward the source. I don’t know the app above, but I have tried voice recorder pro, which can, in advanced mode, bypass the automatic gain control (AGC) of the internal recorder, so you can manually set your recording levels. Does the above app have that capability? That is the single most important feature if you wish to make a decent recording with your phone - AGC destroys all semblance of dynamic range…
I've recorded and attempted to get a good mix from phone recordings and ^^ agree with this. Also curious about the Gain Control.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Audioshare allows you to record in stereo and also allows you to use measurement mode and reduce the gain, which are a big help. It also does a lot of other cool things with file management, editing, etc. Well worth the free dollars it costs.
📝 Reply