Quantcast
Recording Mozart Clarinet Concerto - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Mozart Clarinet Concerto
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Recording Mozart Clarinet Concerto

Hey, all. I've recorded lots of concertos and lots of clarinet in studio, but never a clarinet concerto. This soloist will actually be performing on a basset clarinet, and given the extra length of the instrument I'm hesitant to use my usual pair of overhead solo mics pointing down. But as it's a live concert I can't set up anything visually intrusive. I saw one video with a mic (or close pair, possibly) set up between the conductor and soloist, but I'd think that would be a really violin-heavy position. Lots of mics to choose from, and I'm open to advice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have successfully used solo spots down low, around 3-4 feet, for that kind of situation.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
I have successfully used solo spots down low, around 3-4 feet, for that kind of situation.
That occurred to me, similar to how I mike cello concertos. Without the cello riser I'd be a little concerned about the look, but that might be the best option, probably aimed at the lower third of the instrument. Do you generally use parallel cards for soloists?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes, AB spaced about 5”.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
As you go much below 4', you can start to get too much bright sound from the bell, and may need to go a bit off to the right side (away from strings), to get away from that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Unfortunately the illustration* has badly blurred the specific frequency markers for each pattern, if I can find a better quality source version I'll substitute....although perhaps the bassoon would be a better template for the OP's particular case ?

Anyway...the general principle is to employ a mic position that snags the greatest % of 'overlay overlap' between all of these, within the stage constraints already listed above !

* a scan from Jürgen Meyer's book "Acoustics and the Performance of Music"
Attached Images
Recording Mozart Clarinet Concerto-image.jpeg 
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Unfortunately the illustration* has badly blurred the specific frequency markers for each pattern, if I can find a better quality source version I'll substitute....although perhaps the bassoon would be a better template for the OP's particular case ?

Anyway...the general principle is to employ a mic position that snags the greatest % of 'overlay overlap' between all of these, within the stage constraints already listed above !

* a scan from Jürgen Meyer's book "Acoustics and the Performance of Music"
Hi Studer,
Out of interest, do you have a frequence diagram for the trombone from that book.
As a trombonist I'd find that very interesting.
It's often recorded without much thought.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➡️
Hi Studer,
Out of interest, do you have a frequence diagram for the trombone from that book.
As a trombonist I'd find that very interesting.
It's often recorded without much thought.
I'll see if I have it saved somewhere...in the meantime the Meyer book certainly addresses trombone and is worth seeking out, as per post no.3 by John Willett here:
Propagation patterns of acoustic instruments
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Tony Faulkner, Mozart clarinet concerto, spotted with C24 - doesn't specify if it's in XY, MS or Blumlein (Atkinson assumes Blumlein, but TF doesn't follow up to verify; in that live a room [Henry Wood Hall], I would have expected XY). Looks to be about 90 degrees to the soloist's right. This position but sufficiently low, to not block the soloist's face, would probably still sound fine.

TF's total setup was 27" M50s for mains, spaced pair of cards on winds (barely), and the C24.

2003; analog recording - would be interesting to know if he'd make a different soloist mic choice today.

https://www.stereophile.com/musicrec...622/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Recording Mozart Clarinet Concerto-clarc.jpg   Recording Mozart Clarinet Concerto-clarb.jpg   Recording Mozart Clarinet Concerto-clar-.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, a C-24, interesting! Not exactly known for transparency. But great is great. It must be Blumlein, since if it was XY I'd think he'd have it between the violins and the soloist.

I'm probably fretting way too much over this setup, as the last couple of concertos I've recorded (cello, violin) the soloists were so strong in the main array I barely used any of the spot mics anyway.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
I'll see if I have it saved somewhere...in the meantime the Meyer book certainly addresses trombone and is worth seeking out, as per post no.3 by John Willett here:
Propagation patterns of acoustic instruments
The link in John’s post goes to “cahoots” and I don’t see any diagrams; am I missing something?

Cheers
📝 Reply