Quantcast
How to do remote band practices and video recordings over the internet? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to do remote band practices and video recordings over the internet?
Old 4 weeks ago
How to do remote band practices and video recordings over the internet?

I see a lot of videos these days where bands are jamming together remotely (and recording the audio and video) with some kind of split screen software, and I was wondering what it is? I know it's not Zoom or Skype. For example in the following video where Brian May of Queen jams with a UK based rock tribute band called 'The Classic Rock Show':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvIo6onJf54

What software is used for this?

How would this be set this up for 4 band members, each in different locations? Presumably each band member would need to connect to a computer or IPad with an audio interface, listen through speakers or headphones, and also have the software installed, as well as have a fast internet connection.

How is the video and audio recorded? By one of the band members, or all? And is it possible to do a multitrack recording (i.e. each instrument on a separate track?). I use Cubase on my Windows laptop, plus I have a Zoom L-12 livetrack which can record up to 12 tracks simultaneously.

What do we need to do in order to do something like this? Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Well JamKazam is one possible option. Has anyone here tried it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Is this the type of stuff you are talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vb--LIgK-U

There are lots of these types of video on the internet. Some were recorded over days and weeks. Some were done all at once. I am sure if you look here https://www.google.com/search?q=cola...4dUDCA0&uact=5

You will find a lot of tips.

Best of luck!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ nksoloproject try "Upbeat Music App"
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have recorded several videos using JamKazam, piano and violin, recorded simultaneously in our homes. All of these were Corona lockdown videos, if you are interested have a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwp...WB9Ro9grdvv46Q

Another one is going online shortly (Brahms violin sonata op78, first movement, different pianist), which I personally think is a much better outcome musically, but be it as it is, we were lucky to do these things during difficult times. (I can post a link in this thread when it gets released). It was originally released as a paid video last year, but is now going public.

JamKazam lets you connect over the internet and play together (near) simultaneously. In my experience using this with just one other peer, we had approximately 20-25ms latency under ideal circumstances between Berlin and St. Gallen and Berlin and Prague. I don't think the geographical distance plays the main role in the delay, most of it is due to the quality of the internet connection and equipment used.

You need an ethernet connection (WIFI doesn't work). You also need low latency audio interfaces and good drivers, and a reliable computer. Macs are much better for this than Windows, it seems, at least I remember _all_ our problems being on the Windows side of things.

Recording is possible through JamKazam, although the interface is not ideal. Make sure you set JK to record WAV files locally. You will need to use the locally recorded audio files and recombine them for quality. Also we experienced some drift between the recordings, but I think that was mostly due to dropouts occurring on the windows side when we recorded the Dussek. With the Brahms video we didn't have that problem.

You need headphones, it won't work any other way.

Re-syncing needs to be done manually, as the resulting local files do not start at exactly the same time.

I am not sure what happens with more peers, whether that adds to the latency. If it adds up it would have been unusable for our purposes, anything above 30ms is not going to work well.

We never tried video through JamKazam, but you can always make the videos locally and resync them.
📝 Reply