Quantcast
Recording solo piano in a not so great room (Jazz) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording solo piano in a not so great room (Jazz)
Old 4 weeks ago
Recording solo piano in a not so great room (Jazz)

Hey all,

I'll be recording (and amplifying) solo piano tomorrow. The Piano is quite decent, the club is smallish with a heavy resonance at 100Hz. We'll need some PA, too.
So far I only amplified the piano in this room in a band context (two CM4 close in), worked fine . However, for the solo stuff I thought I'd take more distant mikes as well. Stage is small, piano is on the right, tail right next to back wall.
I'll bring pairs of CM4, MK41 and MK4 and also an OM1 for LFE.
I thought I'll keep the CM4 in their usual spot for the PA and use Schoeps for recording. There won't be much time for soundcheck. So where would you put them / wich capsule? ORTF just outside the curve?

Cheers, Peer
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe ➡️
Hey all,

I'll be recording (and amplifying) solo piano tomorrow. The Piano is quite decent, the club is smallish with a heavy resonance at 100Hz. We'll need some PA, too.
So far I only amplified the piano in this room in a band context (two CM4 close in), worked fine . However, for the solo stuff I thought I'd take more distant mikes as well. Stage is small, piano is on the right, tail right next to back wall.
I'll bring pairs of CM4, MK41 and MK4 and also an OM1 for LFE.
I thought I'll keep the CM4 in their usual spot for the PA and use Schoeps for recording. There won't be much time for soundcheck. So where would you put them / wich capsule? ORTF just outside the curve?

Cheers, Peer
If the room is poor, I’d lean toward the importance of close mics - perhaps one distant mic in omni mode if you think the room sound is worth it.

My instincts are the two close mics and artificial reverb will be the best solution.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's reasonable to have a couple of omnis up to capture the audience ambience and applause during the concert, but they aren't likely to do you any favours with the recorded sound of the piano itself if there's a PA involved.

I'd be rigging a pair of close-in cardioids that I doubt would be outside the frame/lid of the piano for this. Personally for jazz a mid-ish sound quite close to the hammers is fine with me (CM4s do this well in NOS as they're a bit wider than cardioid) with the caveat that for solo piano you're going to want more bottom end on the left hand - so maybe a pair plus one for the bass strings?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
with a bit of tweaking, you can use the very same mics in the same close position - adding an ambient pair for studio mixing however can be nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OP hasn't said what kind of music -

If it's non-classical, I've gotten the best results in situations like that described by using my DIY take on the Earthworks PM40; takes the room (and therefore the 100Hz resonance and the PA pollution) entirely out of the sound, then just add appropriate 'verb to taste.

Would never use it for classical, though.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
OP hasn't said what kind of music
OP stated it's solo Jazz piano.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Gotta remember to read the thread title, not the just the first post !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your comments. I ended up with CM4 inside and MK41 at the curve just outside. Also recorded the venues ambies (NT5, I think, didn't put them up myself) for applaus. During soundcheck I thought I preferred the CM4 overall (more bass) but switched to the MK41s pretty soon during the performance (more clarity).
For A first very rough mix I actually just blended all three pairs...

I'll try to get the permission to post a short snippet.

Cheers, Peer
📝 Reply