Quantcast
iphone live streaming ITB? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iphone live streaming ITB?
Old 22nd October 2021
  #1
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
iphone live streaming ITB?

Guitar/vocals here. Just got an iPhone 13 Pro which has an excellent camera. I'd like to do live streaming with some basic audio mixing/effects ITB but I haven't yet figured out if it's possible.

What I'm trying to do:
HQ audio in, using Zoom H5 as a USB audio interface
(through Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter)
Basic effects/mixing through some app (EQ, reverb/delay, compression, volume/pan)
HQ video through iPhone built in cam

While the H5 successfully replaces the built-in mic when connected, I haven't yet figured out how to route the audio through a mixing app on the phone and combine it with the camera video.

I heard about AUM and Audiobus. Purchased AUM and figured out how to set up an effects chain but can't figure out how to route the processed audio with the camera feed.

Are there iOS streaming apps that will allow one to select AUM (or Audiobus or Garageband, etc) as the audio source and the camera as the video source? Or any other solution to doing it all ITB on the iPhone?

Though doing it all ITB on the iPhone would be my preference, the alternative is to do the mixing outboard so the signal through the Zoom H5 is already processed. I could either do that with my Macbook using a DAW/plugins or through an old Mackie 1402-VLZ mix board (in which case I would need a hardware reverb on the effects send; or use the Macbook/DAW as the the effects send/return, if I wanted the extra mic inputs on the Mackie).

Right now, 2 mics for starters, voice and guitar. Maybe a couple more mics in the future, but I'm basically looking for a simple setup where i can stream quickly without much set up hassle.
Old 26th October 2021
  #2
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyBernie ➡️
Guitar/vocals here. Just got an iPhone 13 Pro which has an excellent camera. I'd like to do live streaming with some basic audio mixing/effects ITB but I haven't yet figured out if it's possible.

What I'm trying to do:
HQ audio in, using Zoom H5 as a USB audio interface
(through Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter)
Basic effects/mixing through some app (EQ, reverb/delay, compression, volume/pan)
HQ video through iPhone built in cam

While the H5 successfully replaces the built-in mic when connected, I haven't yet figured out how to route the audio through a mixing app on the phone and combine it with the camera video.

I heard about AUM and Audiobus. Purchased AUM and figured out how to set up an effects chain but can't figure out how to route the processed audio with the camera feed.

Are there iOS streaming apps that will allow one to select AUM (or Audiobus or Garageband, etc) as the audio source and the camera as the video source? Or any other solution to doing it all ITB on the iPhone?

Though doing it all ITB on the iPhone would be my preference, the alternative is to do the mixing outboard so the signal through the Zoom H5 is already processed. I could either do that with my Macbook using a DAW/plugins or through an old Mackie 1402-VLZ mix board (in which case I would need a hardware reverb on the effects send; or use the Macbook/DAW as the the effects send/return, if I wanted the extra mic inputs on the Mackie).

Right now, 2 mics for starters, voice and guitar. Maybe a couple more mics in the future, but I'm basically looking for a simple setup where i can stream quickly without much set up hassle.
I can not reply to all of your questions, but some remarks:
Get a professional camera-app that allows you to see the audio levels like - for example - Movie-Pro. Movie-Pro is what I use, but there could be better apps out. Just have a look. These are 20,- or so.

I don't know for sure if what you want to do with your audio AFTER entering the phone is impossible

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2...audiobus-input

, but I would go another route:
Make sure that the audio that gets into your iPhone is the audio you want. Mix it and add effects BEFORE it enters the iPhone.
I own the H6, but I guess that the H5 allows mixing, too. So mix on the Zoom.
The Zoom H5 already has build in compressors/limiters with different settings among others for vocals.
Use a reverb you already own or get something like the MicMechanic from TC for your vocals.
Old 26th October 2021 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Yeah, I know I can figure out several outboard ways of prepping the audio. Just seems idiotic that one couldn't do it all in the box.
Old 28th October 2021
  #4
Lives for gear
 
I'm not aware of a video-recording app for iOS that allows you to input processed audio from another app on the same phone. There are several that allow you to input audio from an external interface. This looks like an opportunity for someone to fill this gap, and someone no doubt will (if it's not already available).

I wonder if, for a more compact outboard solution, you could use a secondhand iPhone or iPod touch to run an audio app to add the effects you need, and send that processed audio back into the Zoom and then on to your iPhone that's recording video, rather than having to use something as big as a laptop or your Mackie mixer and a separate reverb box? I'm not sure it would be possible given that these devices have just one input/output but it would be a compact solution.
Old 29th October 2021 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh ➡️
I'm not aware of a video-recording app for iOS that allows you to input processed audio from another app on the same phone. There are several that allow you to input audio from an external interface. This looks like an opportunity for someone to fill this gap, and someone no doubt will (if it's not already available).
Seems so.

Quote:
I wonder if, for a more compact outboard solution, you could use a secondhand iPhone or iPod touch to run an audio app to add the effects you need, and send that processed audio back into the Zoom and then on to your iPhone that's recording video, rather than having to use something as big as a laptop or your Mackie mixer and a separate reverb box? I'm not sure it would be possible given that these devices have just one input/output but it would be a compact solution.
Yeah, I have an older MacBook I could use as a dedicated ITB mixer. It's small enough but of course the hassle of transporting/disconnecting/reconnecting the audio interface. Fine for my home setup and doable for mobile. Just would be better if all I needed was my iPhone, Zoom, and mic(s).
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyBernie ➡️
Seems so.


Yeah, I have an older MacBook I could use as a dedicated ITB mixer. It's small enough but of course the hassle of transporting/disconnecting/reconnecting the audio interface. Fine for my home setup and doable for mobile. Just would be better if all I needed was my iPhone, Zoom, and mic(s).
Like I proposed before, get something like the mic mechanic from TC and you have all you need. I wouldn't hassle with another iPhone or notebook. If you are not only the artist but the cameraman and recordist, too. There are too many devices to set up and to control in the other setups.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 249 views: 12496
Avatar for johndykstra
johndykstra 24th March 2008
replies: 53 views: 11107
Avatar for orcasound
orcasound 13th March 2011
replies: 2674 views: 670836
Avatar for psycho_monkey
psycho_monkey 12th April 2013
replies: 5 views: 3104
Avatar for panther13
panther13 18th February 2013
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump