Quantcast
Jazz quartet recording - Drums, Grand Piano, Upright Bass, Tenor Sax - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jazz quartet recording - Drums, Grand Piano, Upright Bass, Tenor Sax
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
very nice. my one comment would be on the difference in intimacy between the drum solo and the solos of the other three instruments (also, the drums do seem a bit too distant overall, compared to the other instruments).

I loved the way the band presented this piece. I also like very much that the band slowed the tempo down (compared to how this piece is usually done). And your recording allowed that to shine. I could feel the music carrying my along with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My thoughts, as well.

I felt the only slight mis-step was the use of overheads on the drums, rather than something simpler/closer. Experimenting with the mix, I wanted to wet the sax more with the room pair, but that made the drums too wet, because of how much room was in the drum mics.

Otherwise very sweet, turns out the room is nearly ideal for this.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I created two videos about the recording and mixing of the ECM Production "Puerta" by Vibes Player Jorge Rossy (with drummer Jeff Ballard and Robert Landfermann on Bass)

The nice thing but also the most difficult in recording (and mixing) jazz is, that there are so many possibilities. Few mics or lots of mics, all musicians in one room (and use crosstalk for your benefit) or have the musicians separated in different rooms, let them play with headphones or not - that all is part of the concept and will lead to different results. What is even more a challenge is that with great musicians, well, it is more fun, but also you won't be given a lot of time for a soundcheck - they come and want to make takes.

Here are the links of the two videos if anyone is interested.

Recording Session:
https://youtu.be/8qy_aqxBFwE

Mixing Session:
https://youtu.be/8UwRSB0G7GA

Those Vids are not really tutorials, as time was limited - but there still is a lot of information.
If there are any questions about it feel free to post it here.

Daniel
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Many thanks for the comments and suggestions folks.

I completely agree that the drums are in too much space compared to the other instruments.

My experience of doing this kind of gig before (albeit in very different spaces and with very different drummers/kits etc) led me to prioritise trying to keep the drums from bleeding into the other mics above all else, but on reflection in this particular hall I might have done better to divert some or all of my limited resources to semi-enclosing the kit itself and/or selecting a different mic set-up there. (Given the musicians had already selected how/where they wished to play.)

I also think the piano mics are maybe a little tight in as there's the inevitable 'up close' sound - you don't really hear it when he's comping along quietly with the band, and it sounds pretty good there, but on some of the more strident solo sections it's a bit more 'in your face' than I normally like. I could perhaps have backed the CM4s up by six inches and still been OK in terms of acceptable drum bleed. So many interesting choices and trade-offs to be had in and around a grand piano lid!

Sax and bass I was very happy with - one can always have more and better mics but those two dynamics (MD-441 and RE-20) were just the ticket in that space, with the limited time and channels I had to work with.

Overall a lot of useful feedback to take with me moving forward, and I hope to record in that extraordinary hall again someday both older and wiser!

Last edited by James Lehmann; 4 weeks ago at 02:06 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
I completely agree that the drums are in too much space compared to the other instruments.
I think of it as the other instruments not having enough space. The drums are way back there, everything else is up close. I'd rather everything else be a bit more recessed personally.
--scott
📝 Reply