Quantcast
Sound Devices purchased by Audiotonix - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Devices purchased by Audiotonix
Old 14th October 2021
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Sound Devices purchased by Audiotonix

See the press release here:

https://www.sounddevices.com/sound-d...iotonix-group/
Old 14th October 2021
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Wow, this is awesome!
Old 14th October 2021
  #3
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I hope they will continue to manufacture products in the US.
Old 15th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
I hope they will continue to manufacture products in the US.
^^ This. And continue to provide their current awesome US-based customer support.
Old 15th October 2021
  #5
Lives for gear
 
esldude's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Of course everything will be the same all proclaim. Has there ever been an acquisition where that turned out to be true? Hoping they don't mess it up too bad.
Old 15th October 2021 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Tommy-boy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
Wow, this is awesome!
Why do you think that is awesome?
Old 15th October 2021
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
There’s always the hope and potential for cross collaboration between the designers and engineers of the constituent enterprises….but will that necessarily work out for the best ? The public may end up with the sort of ‘committee designed product’ that satisfies few, whereas formerly niche-type devices, often overbuilt in terms of ruggedness and responsive to user needs now have to run the gauntlet of corporate cost-lowering bean counters, At best such mergers and acquisitions promise both best and worst for the destiny of their formerly autonomous member outfit.

I doubt Sound Devices were in the sort of financial straits to need a life-raft floated out to them…I’m guessing it’s more likely a vaguely promissory ‘offer too good to refuse’ ?
Old 15th October 2021 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude ➡️
Of course everything will be the same all proclaim. Has there ever been an acquisition where that turned out to be true? Hoping they don't mess it up too bad.
it was harman's deep pockets which allowed studer to finance further development and then to produce their vista digital broadcast desks, first in the uk and then in an all new facility in hungary - and also studer designing soundcraft's vi series of digital live desks...

(nothing lasts forever: harman got swallod by samsung and studer not too long ago got sold to evertz)
Old 15th October 2021 | Show parent
  #9
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy ➡️
Why do you think that is awesome?
IMHO, this technology think tank is second to none. The ability to perform research and development within this group of manufactures is a positive direction for all parties involved.

I believe their customers will benefit in the end.

YMMV
Old 15th October 2021
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Wisconsin company produces great products with mostly honest presentation.

Let’s keep the China boy out of it.
Old 15th October 2021
  #11
Lives for gear
 
JCBigler's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Thankfully they weren't bought by Music Group.
Old 16th October 2021
  #12
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think this is probably a good thing.

I also hope that the owners at SD scored a fat retirement pay day. Nicest guys ever!

Win-win I think.

D.
Old 16th October 2021
  #13
Here for the gear
 
And then Vitec swallows Audiotonix.
Old 16th October 2021
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Samsung will end up owning it.....
Old 16th October 2021
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
...and then, like AKG > Austrian Audio, the original design team eventually re-emerges (from well-funded retirement) and....well, you know the rest
Old 16th October 2021 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
...and then, like AKG > Austrian Audio, the original design team eventually re-emerges (from well-funded retirement) and....well, you know the rest
...except that "well-funded retirement" seems to be a rather daring (if not history-distorting) claim?!

anyway, i'm waiting for modular sdc's from aa which i'm sure will pair well with sd's recorders! ;-)
Old 16th October 2021 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
...except that "well-funded retirement" seems to be a rather daring (if not history-distorting) claim?!

anyway, waiting for modular sdc's from aa which i'm sure will pair well with sd! ;-)
It's a possibility, not a historical reconstruction....and regarding 'funded retirement', I was referring to SD principals, not AKG staff. Not all acquisitions are fated to the Harman/Samsung model.
Old 16th October 2021 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
regarding 'funded retirement', I was referring to SD principals, not AKG staff.
i see - that changes things quite a bit.
Old 16th October 2021
  #19
Lives for gear
 
surflounge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Hopefully this news about Sound Devices will keep the company supported. Thanks for the update. I just bought a for remote music performance recording. Their support has always been helpful.

Last edited by surflounge; 3 weeks ago at 05:11 AM..
Old 16th October 2021
  #20
Here for the gear
 
I switched from Cooper and SD to Cantar three years ago. Probably not necessary, but I do like the sound and flexibility the Cantar offers. Another major factor is the Cantar screen. Large, bright, easy to read.
Old 16th October 2021 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Tommy-boy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
IMHO, this technology think tank is second to none. The ability to perform research and development within this group of manufactures is a positive direction for all parties involved.

I believe their customers will benefit in the end.

YMMV
My personal opinion - I'm not sure this is better in the long run. Audiotonix is a private equity (PE) company, as opposed to a regular operating company that is buying a strategic partner.

PE firms buy companies for profit, not because they like their products. Audiotonix has it's own M&A team to coordinate buying companies. As a PE company, Audiotonix will have to find ways to pay out existing investors and fund raise for new investors.

Steve, I sincerely hope that you're right. I'm not familiar with this outfit, but I know there are things PE firms like to do to bolster margins and take care of investors. These could include pricing changes, component changes, design changes, department consolidation and further ownership changes.

Well, only time will tell. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tom
Old 17th October 2021 | Show parent
  #22
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Seems like this union of like-minded companies has helped Allen & Heath succeed to a level that they haven't been at in many years.

My gut feeling tells me this is going to be a positive move, and should also benefit Sound Devices take on bigger projects and ideas.

YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy ➡️
My personal opinion - I'm not sure this is better in the long run. Audiotonix is a private equity (PE) company, as opposed to a regular operating company that is buying a strategic partner.

PE firms buy companies for profit, not because they like their products. Audiotonix has it's own M&A team to coordinate buying companies. As a PE company, Audiotonix will have to find ways to pay out existing investors and fund raise for new investors.

Steve, I sincerely hope that you're right. I'm not familiar with this outfit, but I know there are things PE firms like to do to bolster margins and take care of investors. These could include pricing changes, component changes, design changes, department consolidation and further ownership changes.

Well, only time will tell. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tom
Old 18th October 2021
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
SSL parent company now owns Sound Devices

Interesting business development.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/medi...diotonix-group
Old 18th October 2021 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent ➡️
...same announcement as post 1 above ?
Old 18th October 2021
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Audio Ltd what happens to them ?
Old 22nd October 2021 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➡️
Seems like this union of like-minded companies has helped Allen & Heath succeed to a level that they haven't been at in many years.

My gut feeling tells me this is going to be a positive move, and should also benefit Sound Devices take on bigger projects and ideas.

YMMV
I’m usually quite wary when these acquisition happens, but this time I believe it’s different, and Remoteness have a good point.
At least I hope so.
Allen&Heath certainly blossomed, possibly also because of this. At SSL is happening a similar thing..
So let’s stay positive.

I hope Audiotonix will go the right way this time too..
They have a very strong brands portfolio imho.



Cheu
Old 26th October 2021 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude ➡️
Of course everything will be the same all proclaim. Has there ever been an acquisition where that turned out to be true? Hoping they don't mess it up too bad.
I get you - and think, in most cases you are unfortunately right. Like Harman buying AKG and then Samsung buying Harman.
But a good example that comes to my mind is Sennheiser - still a family owned relatively small company with high quality products of their own - aquiring Neumann.
If Sennheiser wouldn't have aquired Neumann, maybe Harman or others would have done it and Neumann - am I allowed to say: one of the greatest mic-companies in the world - would have become was AKG has become.
And Sennheiser now has sold its consumer-branch for 200 million. Sounds good to me, too. Instead of offering 234455654 different consumer-headphones focusing on offering their brilliant mics and headphones to Pros.
So - at least for some years - it can work.
I'm still conspicious about the new (Feb. 2020) Neumann CEO Ralf Oehl, who has some "expertise" in lowering costs for well knows brands... The former CEO was an old fashioned entrepreneur and piano-player. But till now they seem to be o.k. Oehl had his own company focusing on small companies offering luxury products...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Must be a trend afoot.....https://www.cxnetwork.com.au/fender-buys-presonus/
Old 4 weeks ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Maybe Fender can turn that nightmare of a company around. Never hated the products; always hated the customer service and quick EOL.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #30
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Maybe Fender can turn that nightmare of a company around. Never hated the products; always hated the customer service and quick EOL.

D.
It's true, their customer service is one of the worst in our industry.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3306 views: 66994
Avatar for Synth Guru
Synth Guru 21st August 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump