Quantcast
Recording Setup for High School Choir - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Setup for High School Choir
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
... [snip]...
If the microphones cannot be placed where they need to be for whatever reason, then I suggest you invest your time and effort in some other more productive direction. You have a polite "out" by just telling them that setup restraints inherent to the room aren't working as well as desired.
The recordings I'm doing now for the high school, in their theatre (which is their theatre for plays), have expectations in check. I volunteered to do this, and this is a casual relationship. This is giving me, a novice in field recording, some experience and may give them a few recordings for their library and for possible use with future slide shows. Hopefully when we record in a church in the future better recordings will be possible.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S ➡️
The recordings I'm doing now for the high school, in their theatre (which is their theatre for plays), do not have high expectations. I volunteered to do this, and this is a casual relationship. This is giving me, a novice in field recording, some experience and may give them a few recordings for their library and for possible use with future slide shows. Hopefully when we record in a church in the future better recordings will be possible.
hm...

i don't know the circumstances, but i can't quite understand the attitude:

regardless of the circumstances, i always do everything i can to achieve the best possible results - i'm also prepared to give up the whole thing if someone stands in the way of these efforts....

anyway, recording in a church could increase the requirements for the recording even more: i would try to eliminate the difficulties beforehand!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S ➡️
Thanks for listening and giving me some feedback. I can get closer, but in order to keep the mic stand behind the director I can't get as close as half the distance. Due to the space (high school theatre with fixed bleachers) I don't have options for repositioning the choir.
Sounds like a job for hypercardioids, if you can get your hands on a pair (or rent/borrow). About 16" apart - parallel. This will greatly reduce floor and side wall reflections, making the mics sound a lot closer - but will be quite dry and need added reverb, or ambience mics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Critical Distance, the area where the source sound predominates the ambience.
This is vital for detail.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for posting Chuck - whenever folks take the time and trouble to post WAVs with their threads it's win-win for everyone on Gearspace in my book.

Those kids sound really good - obviously a well-coached outfit. (Notwithstanding one or two slightly overbearing sopranos, which is not unusual at this level/age of singing.)

My sense was the cardioid mix felt slightly too close while the omni mix felt slightly too distant.

I'm sure there's a 'Goldilocks' balance in there somewhere!

I think overall I also preferred the slightly more rounded/naturally damped HF of the omnis, but so much of this is down to personal taste and what sonic concept one might be going for with such a recording.

Knowing you have a pair of Gefell M296s there (probably my favourite mics!) I'm not sure I wouldn't first try to capture the whole choir with a pair of those - it's not like there are hundreds of singers in this group so you don't have a whole wide stage to cover. With the right choir arrangement (spacing, heights etc) and the right distance in that auditorium I think that pair could probably do a great job on their own. (Obviously this would be for a bespoke recording session - trying to record them at a live event with an audience is a whole different kettle of fish.)

That said, the MKH8040s in ORTF could also be just the ticket in that auditorium.

Then again... if you could move the recording session to another auditorium – which would depend on the type of repertoire, of course – but if it was mostly worship music like this piece then the choir would sound amazing with a bit more natural reverb in a larger space.

Choices, choices!

PS There's a light or some other electrical fixture buzzing in the right channel - I'm sure you've caught it.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 3 weeks ago at 05:31 PM..
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
...[snip]...
My sense was the cardioid mix felt slightly too close while the omni mix felt slightly too distant.

I'm sure there's a 'Goldilocks' balance in there somewhere!

I think overall I also preferred the slightly more rounded/naturally damped HF of the omnis, but so much of this is down to personal taste and what sonic concept one might be going for with such a recording.

Knowing you have a pair of Gefell M296s there (probably my favourite mics!) I'm not sure I wouldn't first try to capture the whole choir with a pair of those - it's not like there are hundreds of singers in this group so you don't have a whole wide stage to cover. With the right choir arrangement (spacing, heights etc) and the right distance in that auditorium I think that pair could probably do a great job on their own.
...[snip]...
Thanks for listening and for your comments.

I feel similar to you regarding the test recordings I posted (shoot for something in between the two test recordings). I'd also like to end up using only, or primarily, the Gefell omnis versus the Senn cardioids.

We recorded three songs yesterday afternoon. I did move the mic stand about 3' closer. Recorded 3 pairs of mics, so I'll option for A-B Straus Paket array, Boojum / Norman array, A-B omni, A-B cardioid, or near-coincident DIN.

I'll post some wav files of that later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M50k ➡️
Sounds like a job for hypercardioids, if you can get your hands on a pair (or rent/borrow). About 16" apart - parallel. This will greatly reduce floor and side wall reflections, making the mics sound a lot closer - but will be quite dry and need added reverb, or ambience mics.
I will keep this in mind for the future, but had no time to get hypercardioids before I recorded the choir this time. I’m also trying to get a good capture using what I have.
Thanks for listening and for the suggestion.
Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
Here's a link to the 3 recordings of the high school choir:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArPFBNX3leKCg0Lp...OmhWX?e=xUyazw

I had 3 pairs of mics on the same bar, an omni/cardioid Straus Paket in A-B, and a near-coincident DIN pair.

For Ave Maria and Oculi Omnium I used the Straus Paket A-B, primarily using the omnis and the cardioids were 10dB lower. A little bit of compression on the peaks and a medium hall reverb.

For Creator Alme Siderum I used the Omni A-B pair as the primary, with the DIN pair 6dB down. A large hall reverb was used.

Comments appreciated. Thanks!
📝 Reply