Quantcast
Decline of the CD and the effects on location recording - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decline of the CD and the effects on location recording
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
A cheap flash drive could be next, much faster to download than burning a CDR. Dump it when you get home and the drive is good for other stuff. Anyone doing this?
we've been through this 5-7 years ago - doesn't happen anymore, at least not over here.

kids are streaming, oldies still regulary buy cd's, real fans buy box sets or even dvd's!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Bad Company did a concert here at the Del Mar fairgrounds and everyone got a CD of the show walking out the gate afterwards. I was impressed by the speed of the delivery.

A cheap flash drive could be next, much faster to download than burning a CDR. Dump it when you get home and the drive is good for other stuff. Anyone doing this?
USB stick works for deliverable on location recording gigs (not for audience, but for client who hired the recording job). Can give them ISO tracks and quick mix in 24bit/16bit/MP3. Post production work is another job hire.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm a roadie. Especially if you want anything I'm not inclined to deliver. For that, you'll need to talk to A1, that's him over there. Promoter...
.., if I'm A1.

Unless he's busy. "It's on the list, we'll get to it as soon as possible."

How do you ride gain on a preamp, from the CR, that's as close to the mic as possible to avoid long run noise? The answer is that you figured out a way.

How do you deal with autofocus that freaks out over red light? You figure out a way. Wide angle is one approach, multi-cam is another.

I get shows outta the truck, up in the air, and lit. Whatever it takes... lugging in a distro, flying subs, getting seasick on a spot tower.

I manipulate the audience need to flip off The Rules into a feedback loop that enables the band to take the music to places it hasn't been before.

While my a/v capture devices run.

When I can, I FLY a gimbal thru the crowd, I am not just staff, I am IN the event. With purpose.

When an edit... and a multitrack mix/master... are all coming together in the CR... I am right back there at the show... anytime I want...

... and THAT... is what I strive to deliver to anyone who can afford me. My price is way more than money. Absence of bull**** stands high... on a pretty long list.

:-)

I get another crack at these guys today:

https://rumble.com/vimfhb-whitestown...ella-luna.html

A sudden popup storm that wasn't on radar 10 minutes prior curtailed this effort.

Then these guys go up. There are health issues here. Who knows how many more times they'll play?

https://rumble.com/vhwpub-tf-draft-0...s-1-3-ewf.html

Forever... if I get a say in it.

After I hump subs and float tops. Racks-n-stacks only today... these pros give us tails.

I hope it doesn't rain. A twosome like this can light a fire in this town if the basics are in place. I like to capture fire.

:-)
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^^^
So what exactly has the decline of the CD had to do with this type of production? Or maybe you meant to post in the "How's Your World Looking" thread...

I will be recording audio of a talented jazz trio in a nice hall today, while some associates capture video - all destined for YouTube. I am going to do my best to get a great recording and I will try to convince the trio to release it as a live concert CD. The typical grey-haired jazz fan around here still buys CDs and these guys should have some to peddle at their concerts.
📝 Reply