Quantcast
Shotgun mic construction / MKH435 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shotgun mic construction / MKH435
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Shotgun mic construction / MKH435

Here's a curiosity question. I think I have fairly decent idea how the interference tube on a shotgun mic works. There is a good explanation here:

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-u...in-microphones

My question is this: If you were to remove the interference tube of a shotgun mic, what pick-up pattern will you be left with? Super cardioid? Cardioid? Or perhaps it varies from one mic to the next?

Follow up question: The Sennheiser MKH435 was sold for a few years in the mid 1970's according to my information. Looking at that microphone I get the impression that it is basically a very short shotgun mic. Is it essentially an MKH405 (which might be a partial answer to my question above) with an interference tube half (-ish) the length of a MKH415?

Regards, Christine
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wide cardioid
The MKH 405 was the basis of all Sennheiser interference mics.
It was possible to use the MKH415 in a 805 tube and get a reasonable gun mike...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by connloyalist ➡️
Here's a curiosity question. I think I have fairly decent idea how the interference tube on a shotgun mic works. There is a good explanation here:

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-u...in-microphones

My question is this: If you were to remove the interference tube of a shotgun mic, what pick-up pattern will you be left with? Super cardioid? Cardioid? Or perhaps it varies from one mic to the next?

Follow up question: The Sennheiser MKH435 was sold for a few years in the mid 1970's according to my information. Looking at that microphone I get the impression that it is basically a very short shotgun mic. Is it essentially an MKH405 (which might be a partial answer to my question above) with an interference tube half (-ish) the length of a MKH415?

Regards, Christine
I would not be surprised when the basic pattern for the DPA 4017 is a hyper-cardioid ( Superniere). But as always, every design is always optimised for its specific purpose. They may have changed the damping of the capsule or changed other parameters.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…