Quantcast
Gig you were most honored to be part of. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gig you were most honored to be part of.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Gig you were most honored to be part of.

As in: "Pinch me, am I really here, and recording this magic?"
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by k brown ➑️
As in: "Pinch me, am I really hear, and recording this magic?"
OK I'll bite,

Some years ago, doing FOH/mons and recording for a "famous" Ballet company on tour in our city..It was a strange show with mixed recordings and live orchestra till the last number the highlight of their tour "Mozart's Requiem" :-)))..... Their fab maestro, our orchestra......On opening night, sitting at the board, all the way at the back of the hall I know this is the one....Next day I play back the recording for the second cast rehearsal and...smiles everywhere.....Once the choreographer left the city the company directors asked me if i could make the whole show sound like the Requiem's. I still listen to this recording every now and again, though I still regret having a bit too much reverb on the soloists....:-(

Ray
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Niiice !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Four years ago I was called in last minute (the day of the concert!) to record Philip Glass, playing and talking about his pieces. Not the best recordings I've done - I was constrained by mic placement concerns for video and the lack of a spot mic on the violin accompanist on some pieces, and no sound check - but it was wonderful to meet the man and hear him describe the gestation of his compositions. The pieces he played solo at the piano turned out well.

Last edited by jimjazzdad; 4 weeks ago at 01:24 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Very cool.

What was the reason for the last-minute call, if I may ask?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not acoustic music, but still my favorite job ever.

I had the honor of touring with the Talking Heads through-out the USA on the Stop Making Sense run in 1982.

The absolutely nicest people in the whole wide world, unbelievable music, the best venues, even the catering was off-the-charts.

I often speculate if I had the choice to relive any part of my already long life, that tour would be it. And that is saying something.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Always great to hear that artist whose work you admire are also decent people.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Very cool.

What was the reason for the last-minute call, if I may ask?
The videographers realized that after sound check that a shotgun mic mounted at the camera wasn't going to cut it. We were called in to see if we could do better. We did (by orders of magnitude). It was an archival recording for a small music festival. Not well planned. But a wonderful experience none the less.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Wow, even considering they were a videographer not an audio engineer, they must have been pretty inexperienced.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
The big concert/celebration in DC for the just passed MLK holiday back in 1984. It was a pet project of Stevie Wonder and his organization. I was honored to be part of it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Doing a recording of Mozart's Requiem in D in the National Cathedral in Washington D.C. on May 10th, 1970. It was Oberlin College's tribute to the four students killed at Kent State University. A very moving event and one I will always remember. If you want you can listen to it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzzjoILECU8&t=2130s
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➑️
Four years ago I was called in last minute (the day of the concert!) to record Philip Glass, playing and talking about his pieces. Not the best recordings I've done - I was constrained by mic placement concerns for video and the lack of a spot mic on the violin accompanist on some pieces, and no sound check - but it was wonderful to meet the man and hear him describe the gestation of his compositions. The pieces he played solo at the piano turned out well.
Philip lives in Cape Breton, right?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey, I was just a sound-puke on the Heads tour.

Still honored tho.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa ➑️
Philip lives in Cape Breton, right?
He has had a summer home there for many years. Obviously he was unable to come last year; I don't know if he was able to make the trek this summer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As in: "Pinch me, am I really here, and recording this magic?"
For me, my "pinch me, am I really here recording this magic?" moment was as recent as 2019 when I captured, 'The Collaboration with The Highwomen and Dolly Parton,' which happened to be during The Newport Folk Festival's 60th anniversary. Man, it was amazing.

FYI, no one knew who the guest artist was until her walked on stage. It was one of the best kept secrets in live music performance history. No one, but a select few knew who the guest artist was. When Dolly Parton appeared on stage the audience went bananas.

Besides recording this event, I also produced and mixed the performance for a summer radio broadcast the following year.

Their are two other magical moments that happened back in the early eighties...

1- The history making live simulcast broadcast combining FM radio and cable television with Frank Zappa live from the Palladium on MTV. There were six remote trucks there. My truck was used as the TV audio truck.

2- working with Stevie Wonder while we were recording the 14 piece horn section for the song, 'Do I Do.' Using my remote equipment, we set up the 14 piece horn section in Studio 54, and ran my snakes down to Soundworks which was in the basement, just below the night club.

All three of these dates were quite special to me for a number of reasons.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
1- The history making live simulcast broadcast combining FM radio and cable television with Frank Zappa live from the Palladium on MTV. There were six remote trucks there. My truck was used as the TV audio truck.
Was the RPS Black Truck on that Zappa date at the Palladium? If so, I was there as well. I get the RPS Zappa dates mixed up but we did a bunch of them.

D.
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Nope, there were six mobile units. Unitel had three trucks handling video, my truck was handling TV audio mix, Starfleet Blair's bus was there handling the FM radio mix and Frank's truck (the old Beach Boys truck) was there taking in the 122 channels of the deck and mixing it down to 24 tracks for the dual multitrack recorders and FOH. Yes, FOH mixed the 24 combined channels from Frank's truck. Quite amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➑️
Was the RPS Black Truck on that Zappa date at the Palladium? If so, I was there as well. I get the RPS Zappa dates mixed up but we did a bunch of them.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Degrees of Freedom Found, https://unseenworlds.bandcamp.com/al...-freedom-found

I produced 5 of the 6 CDs in this box set that spans the entire career of the late "Blue" Gene Tyranny, who was a mentor, a hero and a friend to me and countless other people, musicians and non-. This set was the last musical thing he did in his life, and while the work was extremely gnarly (endless cleanup, editorial, fixes, the entire current palette of noise and distortion reduction techniques) it was a huge honor to get to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Gig you were most honored to be part of.-a2378841496_16.jpg  
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➑️
Degrees of Freedom Found, https://unseenworlds.bandcamp.com/al...-freedom-found

I produced 5 of the 6 CDs in this box set that spans the entire career of the late "Blue" Gene Tyranny, who was a mentor, a hero and a friend to me and countless other people, musicians and non-. This set was the last musical thing he did in his life, and while the work was extremely gnarly (endless cleanup, editorial, fixes, the entire current palette of noise and distortion reduction techniques) it was a huge honor to get to do this.
The conductor for our Ballet series was Valery Platonov for the Eifman ballet .... That was the one and only time all orchestras players agreed He was the best ! Although John Mclaughlin
Paco de lucia Al di Meola jazz fest concert was pretty good too......

Ray
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There's many such moments, but one that really stands out for me was recording a benefit concert in the wake of the tragic tsunami that hit Japan back in 2011.

It was a who's who of featured chamber musicians: Charles Neidich, Ayako Oshima, Robert Mann, Samuel Rhodes, Alan Kay, and others of that ilk; leading a killer chamber orchestra in some of the most beloved repertoire - the music that got me into classical music when I was young - Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante and Clarinet Concerto, Bach's double violin concerto, and more...

A great concert for a great cause. Back then, I was mixing everything live to 2-track. Recording came out pretty good, as I recall; I'm not sure what became of it - there was supposed to be some NHK documentary but I never saw it.

This past year there were many other similar moments: recording & mixing to keep live music happening and keeping musicians connected with their audiences - felt like there was real purpose in what I was doing. There were a couple of amazing Orpheus Chamber Orchestra gigs, an Afro-Peruvian Sextet series of live-streamed concerts, and many others.

Lots of other great memories over the years...

Hey - y'all are starting to make me feel old!

Last edited by RobAnderson; 3 weeks ago at 01:22 AM..
πŸ“ Reply